Woman Drops Cell Phone on Highway, Dies Trying to Retrieve It

given the time of the accident, i would be surprised if this wasn't a dui situation.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493304,00.html

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. — The California Highway Patrol says a woman has died on an Orange County Freeway after she dropped her cell phone and hunted for it while driving.

Authorities say 33-year-old Gladis Andrade-Zepeda of Fontana was trying to retrieve the phone when she swerved and hit the center divider of Interstate 405 in Fountain Valley around 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

Sgt. Dana Anderson says the woman got out of the car, which was in the carpool lane.

Another car came into the lane and broadsided the stopped vehicle, apparently crushing the woman in between.

A passenger in the woman's car was taken to a hospital with moderate injuries. Two people in the other car also were taken to a hospital after complaining of pain.

Brilliant.

My ex dropped her lipstick and drove the Range Rover into a fence trying to pick it up off the passenger-side floor. My ex. Maybe they're related.

given the time of the accident, i would be surprised if this wasn't a dui situation.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493304,00.html

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. — The California Highway Patrol says a woman has died on an Orange County Freeway after she dropped her cell phone and hunted for it while driving.

Authorities say 33-year-old Gladis Andrade-Zepeda of Fontana was trying to retrieve the phone when she swerved and hit the center divider of Interstate 405 in Fountain Valley around 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

Sgt. Dana Anderson says the woman got out of the car, which was in the carpool lane.

Another car came into the lane and broadsided the stopped vehicle, apparently crushing the woman in between.

A passenger in the woman's car was taken to a hospital with moderate injuries. Two people in the other car also were taken to a hospital after complaining of pain.

natural_selection.png

Only in the OC would someone die from retrieving a cell phone.

I hit a parked car while trying to figure out what was wrong with the gearshift lever. I was quite embarrassed but my bicycle was undamaged.

Very very sad.

But how do you drop your cellphone on the highway unless you were screwing around in the car?

Never screw around in the car when driving. Just as bad as drunk driving.

I hit a parked car while trying to figure out what was wrong with the gearshift lever. I was quite embarrassed but my bicycle was undamaged.

HAHA I did the same thing when I was like 10yr old... my nuts got nailed pretty hard though when my bike came to an instant stop against the rear bumper and I slammed into the frame/handle bar :mad:

Actually if I am not mistaken it is ILLEGAL to talk on a cell phone in CA without a hands free device.

Actually if I am not mistaken it is ILLEGAL to talk on a cell phone in CA without a hands free device.

It may be ILLEGAL but enforcement is the issue here. I see people talking on their cell phones without hands free constantly. There is no way law enforcement can keep up. Everyone is ignoring this law.

I have to agree; people here in CA seem to just ignore the law. Last night I saw a dumb blonde woman talking on her cell phone, drinking a coffee and a CHP officer was driving right next to her and he never looked at her.....he was on his cell phone while driving his CHP car.
Nothing is like it was back when- Cops use to drive around with a window down so they were aware of their environment and could hear stuff. Now they are all buttoned up in their cars with the AC on and their cell phones glued to their ears and unless their radio tells them what to do they are lost. God forbid they take "on-view" action on something.

It may be ILLEGAL but enforcement is the issue here. I see people talking on their cell phones without hands free constantly. There is no way law enforcement can keep up. Everyone is ignoring this law.

Good. It's a dumb law, and needs to be ignored.

interesting statement.

what would you propose as an alternative means to keeping drivers focused on driving vs talking and texting their friends while they drive?

Nothing. We already have sufficient laws against reckless driving. These laws are sufficiently encompassing to cover cell phone talking, texting, changing songs on the iPod, eating a sandwich, applying makeup, and every other little distraction that hits us while we're driving.

There was an incident near Monterey about 25 years ago where a woman was changing a tape on her tape deck, and inadvertantly swerved onto the shoulder and ran over four cyclists, killing them all. Crap can happen at any time; we don't need to legislate against each little distraction.

http://www.livescience.com/technology/050201_cell_danger.html

Finally, empirical proof you can blame chatty 20-somethings for stop-and-go traffic on the way to work.

A new study confirms that the reaction time of cell phone users slows dramatically, increasing the risk of accidents and tying up traffic in general, and when young adults use cell phones while driving, they're as bad as sleepy septuagenarians.

"If you put a 20-year-old driver behind the wheel with a cell phone, their reaction times are the same as a 70-year-old driver who is not using a cell phone," said University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer. "It's like instantly aging a large number of drivers."

The study was announced today and is detailed in winter issue of the quarterly journal Human Factors.

Traffic jams and death

Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.

The reason is now obvious:

Behind the Statistics
Are Cell Phones Really So Dangerous?

Drivers talking on cell phones were 18 percent slower to react to brake lights, the new study found. In a minor bright note, they also kept a 12 percent greater following distance. But they also took 17 percent longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked. That frustrates everyone.

"Once drivers on cell phones hit the brakes, it takes them longer to get back into the normal flow of traffic," Strayer said. "The net result is they are impeding the overall flow of traffic."

Strayer and his colleagues have been down this road before. In 2001, they found that even hands-free cell phone use distracted drivers. In 2003 they revealed a reason: Drivers look but don't see, because they're distracted by the conversation. The scientists also found previously that chatty motorists are less adept than drunken drivers with blood alcohol levels exceeding 0.08.

Separate research last year at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign supported the conclusion that hands-free cell phone use causes driver distraction.

"With younger adults, everything got worse," said Arthur Kramer, who led the Illinois study. "Both young adults and older adults tended to show deficits in performance. They made more errors in detecting important changes and they took longer to react to the changes."

The impaired reactions involved seconds, not just fractions of a second, so stopping distances increased by car-lengths.

Older drivers more cautious

The latest study used high-tech simulators. It included people aged 18 to 25 and another group aged 65 to 74. Elderly drivers were slower to react when talking on the phone, too.

The simulations uncovered a twofold increase in the number of rear-end collisions by drivers using cell phones.

Older drivers seem to be more cautious overall, however.

"Older drivers were slightly less likely to get into accidents than younger drivers," Strayer said. "They tend to have a greater following distance. Their reactions are impaired, but they are driving so cautiously they were less likely to smash into somebody." But in real life, he added, older drivers are significantly more likely to be rear-ended because of their slow speed.

Other studies in the journal found:

Telephone numbers presented by automated voice systems compete for drivers' attention to a far greater extent than when the driver sees the same information presented on a display.
Interruptions to driving, such as answering a call, are likely to be more dangerous if they occur during maneuvers like merging to exit a freeway.
Things could get worse. Wireless Internet, speech recognition systems and e-mail could all be even more distracting.

HA, when I was a kid this other kid Greg and I used to bicycle everywhere. He was the king of the ten speed wheelie. He was doing this wheelie along the sidewalk in front of a grocery store and this lady pushes out her cart and boom he slams right into her. He tore his knees up bad. About a week later he pull the same move but this time his front wheel comes right off, rips his knees open again. Then we are up by Cornell University about a week later going down a VERY steep hill. I see this hot girl picking her nose in a BMW. I yelled out to him to look and he does but looks too long and BOOM, right into the back of a city bus. Again he rips the scabs off his knees but one of them is so bad at this point it's showing bone. YUCK.

Nothing. We already have sufficient laws against reckless driving. Crap can happen at any time; we don't need to legislate against each little distraction.
so, that's what you would tell the families of the 2,500+ people who were killed (last year) by drivers who were talking on their cell phones?

"crap can happen at any time."

hopefully you'll never have to have someone say those words to you because the driver that ran over your family member chose to ignore the law because it "needs to be ignored" because they felt as you do, that "we don't need to legislate against each little distraction."

so, that's what you would tell the families of the 2,500+ people who were killed (last year) by drivers who were talking on their cell phones?

"crap can happen at any time."
What would you tell the families of the four cyclists who were run down by the woman changing a tape? Should tape decks (and by extension, CD players and iPod adapters) be made illegal in cars? After all, they can be a distraction, and people could die.

My point is that there is an innumerable number of potential distractions. It just doesn't make sense to start picking which ones are legal and which are not, especially when there are already reckless driving laws that sufficiently cover the situation.

As a corollary to this argument, I would make the penalties for causing accidents while using a phone much higher than they currently are. Most such crashes, I'm guessing, are pretty much dismissed as "accidents". I would elevate the charges to manslaughter, and have them carry many years of jail time.

What would you tell the families of the four cyclists who were run down by the woman changing a tape? Should tape decks (and by extension, CD players and iPod adapters) be made illegal in cars? After all, they can be a distraction, and people could die.

My point is that there is an innumerable number of potential distractions. It just doesn't make sense to start picking which ones are legal and which are not, especially when there are already reckless driving laws that sufficiently cover the situation.

As a corollary to this argument, I would make the penalties for causing accidents while using a phone much higher than they currently are. Most such crashes, I'm guessing, are pretty much dismissed as "accidents". I would elevate the charges to manslaughter, and have them carry many years of jail time.
ok, thx.

i stand by my good wishes for you and your family.

Back