Wise words from Warren Buffett

TC

Experienced Member
Buy American. I Am.
Contributor
By WARREN E. BUFFETT
Published: October 16, 2008

Times Topics: Warren E. Buffett

THE financial world is a mess, both in the United States and abroad. Its problems, moreover, have been leaking into the general economy, and the leaks are now turning into a gusher. In the near term, unemployment will rise, business activity will falter and headlines will continue to be scary.
So ... I’ve been buying American stocks. This is my personal account I’m talking about, in which I previously owned nothing but United States government bonds. (This description leaves aside my Berkshire Hathaway holdings, which are all committed to philanthropy.) If prices keep looking attractive, my non-Berkshire net worth will soon be 100 percent in United States equities.

Why?

A simple rule dictates my buying: Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful. And most certainly, fear is now widespread, gripping even seasoned investors. To be sure, investors are right to be wary of highly leveraged entities or businesses in weak competitive positions.

But fears regarding the long-term prosperity of the nation’s many sound companies make no sense. These businesses will indeed suffer earnings hiccups, as they always have. But most major companies will be setting new profit records 5, 10 and 20 years from now.

Let me be clear on one point: I can’t predict the short-term movements of the stock market. I haven’t the faintest idea as to whether stocks will be higher or lower a month — or a year — from now. What is likely, however, is that the market will move higher, perhaps substantially so, well before either sentiment or the economy turns up. So if you wait for the robins, spring will be over.

A little history here: During the Depression, the Dow hit its low, 41, on July 8, 1932. Economic conditions, though, kept deteriorating until Franklin D. Roosevelt took office in March 1933. By that time, the market had already advanced 30 percent. Or think back to the early days of World War II, when things were going badly for the United States in Europe and the Pacific. The market hit bottom in April 1942, well before Allied fortunes turned. Again, in the early 1980s, the time to buy stocks was when inflation raged and the economy was in the tank. In short, bad news is an investor’s best friend. It lets you buy a slice of America’s future at a marked-down price.

Over the long term, the stock market news will be good. In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497.

You might think it would have been impossible for an investor to lose money during a century marked by such an extraordinary gain. But some investors did. The hapless ones bought stocks only when they felt comfort in doing so and then proceeded to sell when the headlines made them queasy.

Today people who hold cash equivalents feel comfortable. They shouldn’t. They have opted for a terrible long-term asset, one that pays virtually nothing and is certain to depreciate in value. Indeed, the policies that government will follow in its efforts to alleviate the current crisis will probably prove inflationary and therefore accelerate declines in the real value of cash accounts.

Equities will almost certainly outperform cash over the next decade, probably by a substantial degree. Those investors who cling now to cash are betting they can efficiently time their move away from it later. In waiting for the comfort of good news, they are ignoring Wayne Gretzky’s advice: “I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.”

I don’t like to opine on the stock market, and again I emphasize that I have no idea what the market will do in the short term. Nevertheless, I’ll follow the lead of a restaurant that opened in an empty bank building and then advertised: “Put your mouth where your money was.” Today my money and my mouth both say equities.

Warren E. Buffett is the chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway, a diversified holding company.

Last edited:
I hope he is around to see it pay off.

I also believe this market will create the next Warren Buffett.

Could be more or you. Just remember to all those people thinking of getting in now, he can wait years and most people aren't quite that patient. Also, if Obama (or anyone else) raises taxes while we are still dealing with this (next couple years mininum), it would drive us straight into the ground.

Last edited:
Got some news for you... whether Obama or the Old Guy becomes President your taxes are going to go up. Between Iraq and Wall St. we are going to be in the hole for more than $2,000,000,000,000. God that's a lot of zeros.

Government's revenue is going to have to increase one way or another. You can shrink govt, cut programs and improve efficiencies all you want but the fact of the matter is that the revenue will also have to increase. So no matter who wins, someone is going to have to pay. So either it comes out of your front pocket or your back pocket.

Last edited:
Got some news for you... whether Obama or the Old Guy becomes President your taxes are going to go up. Between Iraq and Wall St. we are going to be in the hole for more than $2,000,000,000,000. God that's a lot of zeros.

Government's revenue is going to have to increase one way or another. You can shrink govt, cut programs and improve efficiencies all you want but the fact of the matter is that the revenue will also have to increase. So no matter who wins, someone is going to have to pay. So either it comes out of your front pocket or your back pocket.

Probably but not necessarily. No Iraq like Obama claims will be a starting point. I could find some ways to cut costs.

Probably but not necessarily. No Iraq like Obama claims will be a starting point. I could find some ways to cut costs.

I had lunch not too long ago with a girl that works for NASA and is working on the "going back to the Moon" program. We know it's not made of cheese, so why go back? They are doing it for two reasons. One, to practice for Mars. Two, because they feel they need a grand gesture to get people back interested in NASA. I asked what the budget was and she said, "You don't want to know... actually, I don't think they (her bosses) don't know or want to know." Personally, I think we can put this off and save the money.

Last edited:
I like the Obama plan of MORE entitlement programs and LESS taxes. Thats sure to clear things up in a hurry!

Medicare and Medicaid alone will ruin this country and we (Bush = Idiot) keep adding MORE entitlements to the programs!!

There is some ad on TV out here in California where obama is saying he wants people to be self reliant the way he was raised. Well how the hell can you spread the wealth around and make people self reliant at the same time?

anyways back to Warren, I think shatt is right he warren has enough money to wait it wait and other patient people can too. Not everyone in the market needs their money tomorrow.:wink:

“A simple rule dictates my buying: Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.”

This really sounds good to me, but…

This means do the opposite of what the herd is doing.
But humans (and other animals) have survived by creating the “herd”. Being in the herd is safer, according to evolution.

For thousands of years if you moved out (or got kicked out) of your group, you were dead meat.

So is this really good advice in these wild (wild market) times? Dunno.

But to make it more complicated, if everyone followed his advice, then that would create a herd. And everybody would be in it again.

I know this doesn’t help, but, anyway…

“A simple rule dictates my buying: Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.”

This really sounds good to me, but…

This means do the opposite of what the herd is doing.
But humans (and other animals) have survived by creating the “herd”. Being in the herd is safer, according to evolution.

For thousands of years if you moved out (or got kicked out) of your group, you were dead meat.

So is this really good advice in these wild (wild market) times? Dunno.

But to make it more complicated, if everyone followed his advice, then that would create a herd. And everybody would be in it again.

I know this doesn’t help, but, anyway…

I will be the first person to say I have lost a lot of money this year going against the herd. I will continue to go against the herd. Going against the herd has paid off for me in the past and will pay off in the future. Sure I could be bored out of my mind and make 5% per year but where's the fun it that?

A little history here: During the Depression, the Dow hit its low, 41, on July 8, 1932. Economic conditions, though, kept deteriorating until Franklin D. Roosevelt took office in March 1933. By that time, the market had already advanced 30 percent.

Wrong. Fact is, the market didn't recover from the 1929 crash until the mid 1950's.
Sure if you bought at the very bottom because of your sweet psychic skills, you would have made 30% over the following 4 years but that's not going to happen.

Dollar cost consistent investing + diversification + minimizing mgt/transaction costs = sound long term investment strategy for people with a long window.

No ifs ands or buts. It is hard to stay the course but that (if anything) is what Mr. Buffett teaches us. Don't get caught up in a bubble or follow the heard. Continuously/consistently buy industry leaders and innovators across broad and diverse sectors and hold them for a long time and you will make a lot of money.

As I always tell my kids "the biggest shortcut you will learn in life is that there aren't any big shortcuts"

:smile:

I like the Obama plan of MORE entitlement programs and LESS taxes. Thats sure to clear things up in a hurry!

Medicare and Medicaid alone will ruin this country and we (Bush = Idiot) keep adding MORE entitlements to the programs!!

how is it really possable to have MORE entitlements, but lower tax? where does the money come from?

this has always amazed me about dems way of thinking

Warren has the LUXURY of being able to invest like that. Bob the retiree doesn't.

The minimum time horizon warrens looking at for a return is out 20 years... most of us want to touch the money (or need to touch the money) sooner than that which means now still isn't the time to buy in.

Take a look at every market shift in history... EVEN WHEN THE BOTTOM IS PUT IN IT TAKES A MINIMUM OF 1 YEAR TO CONFIRM IT BEFORE A MARKET REVERSAL IS CONFIRMED AND CONSISTENT STEADY DIRECTION IS FOUND.

So even if we found the bottom and you buy in... historically there is a 99.9% chance your not going to get anything but massive up days followed by massive down days that will wear you out emotionally, psychologically, and put you in a risky situation... and for what? That year won't net you anything more than a 0% return. So why buy here again folks? Worst case you stay liquid and get in the market with very little downside risk. But what if this isn't the bottom? Then your SCREWED. So lets see... recap: Overly risky situation, unlike anything we've seen before for the past 70 years, nearly 100% chance that you will earn a 0% return for buying at these levels over the next year IF it is the bottom, and IF its NOT then you lose more money.

Sound like an opportunity? Didn't think so.

That's right... because you're either getting greedy or your getting scared and regardless of which one it is neither should be on the table with you when your making investment decisions.

STAY THE F*** OUT.

Just my .02 :biggrin:

Warren has the LUXURY of being able to invest like that. Bob the retiree doesn't.

The minimum time horizon warrens looking at for a return is out 20 years... most of us want to touch the money (or need to touch the money) sooner than that which means now still isn't the time to buy in.

Take a look at every market shift in history... EVEN WHEN THE BOTTOM IS PUT IN IT TAKES A MINIMUM OF 1 YEAR TO CONFIRM IT BEFORE A MARKET REVERSAL IS CONFIRMED AND CONSISTENT STEADY DIRECTION IS FOUND.

So even if we found the bottom and you buy in... historically there is a 99.9% chance your not going to get anything but massive up days followed by massive down days that will wear you out emotionally, psychologically, and put you in a risky situation... and for what? That year won't net you anything more than a 0% return. So why buy here again folks? Worst case you stay liquid and get in the market with very little downside risk. But what if this isn't the bottom? Then your SCREWED. So lets see... recap: Overly risky situation, unlike anything we've seen before for the past 70 years, nearly 100% chance that you will earn a 0% return for buying at these levels over the next year IF it is the bottom, and IF its NOT then you lose more money.

Sound like an opportunity? Didn't think so.

That's right... because you're either getting greedy or your getting scared and regardless of which one it is neither should be on the table with you when your making investment decisions.

STAY THE F*** OUT.

Just my .02 :biggrin:

True, true. I'm definitely greedy and thanks to EEV, DZZ, and DUG, I'm not afraid.

Back