• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wireless Question

I finally stopped pilfering a signal off the neighbors and set up my own network. Problem is...my desktop will connect to the access point, but my laptop will not. I've been over everything, I've made sure i'm entering the key in correctly (which is a pain because its 26 alphanumerics). I have no idea whats going on, but after I enter in the key and click connect, the laptop sits there saying its acquiring the network address and then a couple minutes later says the the network has limited or no connectivity. I'm running windows xp...granted the card on the laptop is old, but I've updated the drivers and have never had problems accessing a wireless network before.

Suggestions?

This sounds basic, but often works. Try this:

1. First, power down everthing - (no particular order) laptop, wireless router, DSL/Cable modem
2. Power up DSL/Cable modem first - let it go though its "testing" - once all lights are on, then:
3. Power up wireless router next, again, wait for all lights to come on; then:
4. Power up laptop last

This often works when you add a laptop to a new wireless network.
Give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'm sure one of our computer gurus will chime in.

thank god for my mac.

i click on airport - and voila, it works.

i had trouble with my old Vaio with wireless networking, i literally had to take it to a professional while under warantee to set it all up, was a pain.

You might try by removing all your security protection initially from the access point just to see if you can make connection, then add back the different layers as you require.

SilverStone05 said:
I finally stopped pilfering a signal off the neighbors and set up my own network. Problem is...my desktop will connect to the access point, but my laptop will not. I've been over everything, I've made sure i'm entering the key in correctly (which is a pain because its 26 alphanumerics). I have no idea whats going on, but after I enter in the key and click connect, the laptop sits there saying its acquiring the network address and then a couple minutes later says the the network has limited or no connectivity. I'm running windows xp...granted the card on the laptop is old, but I've updated the drivers and have never had problems accessing a wireless network before.

Suggestions?
Try connecting without WEP(no key)and see if that works first. If not then try the shutdown and restart as above. Get it working without encryptions first then add it later.
Also within the router wireless settings make sure you have both 80211b and 80211g on as the old card is probably b.
My router has, b only, g only and both b&g settings.
-j

Last edited:
jimmycinla said:
Try connecting without WEP(no key)and see if that works first.
Yup. I ran into the same thing a couple weeks ago (see separate topic), and found that the key was specified in HEX (not ASCII) but entering the key in the wireless PC didn't present a HEX vs ASCII option, and it automatically assumed the value entered was ASCII.

Back