windshild strip repair

*WINDSHIELD*

hey guys,

would any of you guys have any suggestions or recommendations on where i should go repair my weather stripping above my windshield? question is...WHERE DID YOU GO? for your repair or replacement? My strip is about to get worse and I want to avoid that from happening....thanks guys in advance!:cool::rolleyes:

-Ron

i just need shop to get it repaired...i'm sure everyone else here does too. the part is easy to get and is not expensive. the professional work is what's the problem.

Guys,

Im no Pro but I bought the pieces (2) and did this Myself.

The Windshield does not have to be removed.

If you decide to attempt it, pay attention as you remove old piece so you can get idea how it's fastened (sometimes they are so beat up it's hard to tell) So read a manuel if you have one.. to understand how the pieces work together.

The main moulding piece is extra long so rest it in the groove to start.. to figure how much you need to cut off each side. The Trim piece (fastener) has double sided tape, once this is in position , Use careful thumb pressure to press main moulding in.. you want to try not to put kinks in it.

It's pretty straight forward job....Took about 45 min not including cleaning out old piece.

Spoooler

Last edited:
Guys,

Im no Pro but I bought the pieces (2) and did this Myself.

The Windshield does not have to be removed.

If you decide to attempt it, pay attention as you remove old piece so you can get idea how it's fastened (sometimes they are so beat up it's hard to tell) So read a manuel if you have one.. to understand how the pieces work together.

The main moulding piece is extra long so rest it in the groove to start.. to figure how much you need to cut off each side. The Trim piece has double sided tape, once this is in position , Use careful thumb pressure to press main moulding in.. you want to try not to put kinks in it.

It's pretty straight forward job....Took about 45 min not including cleaning out old piece.

Spoooler

Sounds pretty self explanatory there spooler....hmm...where did you get the pieces from?

Sounds pretty self explanatory there spooler....hmm...where did you get the pieces from?

I ordered them from SM Acura. They will come in two long,skinny boxes.

It is easy, just take your time and have good lighting to get the trim piece positioned correctly with roof line. (As I remember, it's very close to flush, but next time I do it I would position it just a tad below so moulding is just slightly lower but it still looks nearly perfect. I also put a few minor creases in Moulding on my first attempt but they seemed to have disappeared.

Give it a shot.

Last edited:
The top windshield strip of my 1991 had shrunk and pulled away about 1/2" on one side. Not as bad as the scalloping I've seen on some cars, but annoying. The dealership estimate to replace it was around $600. That included removing and replacing both top windshield strips. After showing it to Mike at MVdesignz, Santa Ana, he offered a simple and inexpensive way to cosmetically fix it. It involved removing the top strip and gluing in a new one. No need to remove the windshield and side window moldings. The cost was less than $50 including the part. I am happy with the result. It did not leak before or after the repair job as the top molding is mostly for cosmetic purposes.

The top windshield strip of my 1991 had shrunk and pulled away about 1/2" on one side. Not as bad as the scalloping I've seen on some cars, but annoying. The dealership estimate to replace it was around $600. That included removing and replacing both top windshield strips. After showing it to Mike at MVdesignz, Santa Ana, he offered a simple and inexpensive way to cosmetically fix it. It involved removing the top strip and gluing in a new one. No need to remove the windshield and side window moldings. The cost was less than $50 including the part. I am happy with the result. It did not leak before or after the repair job as the top molding is mostly for cosmetic purposes.

Well, I'm glad you are happy with it but the same was tried on my Car and these were my experiences:

First, it looked ugly cause it was simply a generic piece of rubber. The OEM moulding has a hard coating on top that looks much better, fits as it should and protects the rubber.

It was soft and mushy and I knew it was not going to hold up long. Sure enough at about 90mph it became partially detached and whipped the Car violently until I slowed down and stopped to rip it off and hurl it into the nearest trash can.

At this Point I studied the Manuel and ordered the Correct OEM pieces. Putting them in was easier than I thought and I was proud of the result.

Cleaning out the adhesive that was used for the Cheap Fix
was a nightmare. No Glue of any kind (cept the double sided tape on trim) is needed to install the stock pieces.

spooler

Last edited:
Guys,

There is no reason to live with your molding looking like hell or to cheap out cause you think it's some kind of big job:biggrin:

I Modified these pictures from the manuel slightly to help show how the pieces are installed. Again, there is no reason for the Windshield to be removed.

The Trim piece (actually called a fastener) is installed first against the edge of the roof.

When trimming molding,take into account that the ends of the Molding slide under the side molding bout 1/2 in each side.

With the molding trimmed to the correct length, simply press it in there. When you are about a foot from the end, stop and slide it under side molding first..then press in the remainder. Reason is... if you press it down all the way to the end, you will not be able to lift side molding over it

You can see in the second drawing how the fastener locks it into place...Another small but Brilliant design and I remember it was a "great pleasure" to feel it locking into place as I pressed it in:biggrin:

Study the Drawing and Once you get the brand new pieces in your hands, you will understand how easy it is to do and will want to do it yourself..to get it dead on as possible.

Attachments

• win 1.jpg
    win 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 223
  • win 2.jpg
    win 2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Spooler, thank you so much for the great info.

Guys,

You can see in the second drawing how the fastener locks it into place...Another small but Brilliant design and I remember it was a "great pleasure" to feel it locking into place as I pressed it in:biggrin:

Study the Drawing and Once you get the brand new pieces in your hands, you will understand how easy it is to do and will want to do it yourself..to get it dead on as possible.

I just ordered the molding from Acura, does it come with the trim piece or do I have to order that separate. My dealer could not confirm that.

I found the answer using search, thanks Larry B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

73151-SL0-023 MOLDING, FR. WINDSHIELD (UPPER)
73152-SL0-013 FASTENER, FR. WINDSHIELD (UPPER) (trim piece that holds the rubber molding)

Last edited:
Back