Window inner trim folding on itself and blocking the window from coming up

Strange thing that happens on my NSX (96,manual, targa)
The inner window trim fold inward when the window is lowered, and when trying to close the window, the motor need to "overcome" the rubber to bring thd window up.

Needless to say, when the door is shut, this will prevent the window from coming up and require several attempts for it to close the window

Any idea why would that happen /how do i solve this?

Attachments

Strange!

Assuming that you have not made any adjustments to the guides for the window, did you by chance spray anything on the inside glass that could have dropped onto the rubber portion of the scraper scraper that might result in it becoming sticky or might leave a sticky residue on the glass? I would try cleaning the inside glass with an ammonia solution which is about the most effective product I have found for getting glass clean. The trim looks like it is in its correct place; but, on the off chance that it has moved causing it to press harder on the glass try pressing the trim onto the interior door liner to see if it moves away from the glass

As a last resort you could try spraying or wiping a rubber lubricant on the rubber wiper part to see if that allows the glass to slide over the wiper without the wiper folding over. Ru Glyde comes to mind. It is a lubricant meant to be applied to tire beads during installation. Rubber safe and just leaves the rubber looking darker. The down side to this is that it will probably leave smears on the glass.

That rubber has a felt type material on the glass side so the glass doesnt grab it on the way down. It's likely that felt has worn out and its showing rubber. Fortunately that piece is still available seperate from the door panel .

@Spoolinfool has a good explanation; however, since that is a wear issue I would expect that it would creep up, not happen all of a sudden. Mark the spot on the rubber wiper where it starts to catch and roll down with a black Sharpie. With the glass all the way up, use something like a seal pick to pull the rubber wiper back where it is marked and you should be able to see whether that anti grab layer has worn off.

Great ideas, thanks.
I will give this a try tomorrow and will update.

I did try some Shin-Itsu grease that i have (An S2K owner after all) but it didnt seem to help (but made a mess on the window)

Will see if i can order this part somehow...

Great ideas, thanks.
I will give this a try tomorrow and will update.

I did try some Shin-Itsu grease that i have (An S2K owner after all) but it didnt seem to help (but made a mess on the window)

Will see if i can order this part somehow...
For what it's worth, you're not alone. I have the same issue with my '95...the rubber will fold down occasionally when lowering the window and it's about half way down. I usually just bring it back up a bit to straighten the rubber, then hold it away with my fingers until I get it down. No issues bringing it back up after it's fully lowered. At this point, it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I thought I might try putting a bit of powder at the base of the window and cycling it up and down to get it to slide, but haven't gotten around to it.

If the felt isn't completely worn away on the inside, i would think it's just one of those problems that is exacerbated each time it folds. You can try heating it (carefully) with a heat gun or hair dryer and try to get the "memory" of the fold out of the rubber and try to pull it away from the glass more. Also make sure your glass is very clean with no stickiness to it, so the felt can glide. Lastly, if you must buy new, make sure to buy the correct one. Earlier model years have a chrome piece along the rubber seal. Later models are like yours with black rubberized material replacing the chrome trim.

About US$60ea I think

Honda 72335-SL0-003
Price from
96.72 NZD
Required, pcs
Details: Weather strip,R.ドアーインナー (RIGHT SIDE)
Honda 72375-SL0-003
Price from
96.90 NZD
Required, pcs
Details: Weather strip,L.ドアーインナー (LEFT SIDE)

Yes, you have been quoted the price for the outside black painted trim piece which is quite expensive. @drew has provided the part number for the inner weather strip; but, I believe he has provided the early part number prior to the 1995 model year. There was a production change in 1995 and I believe the correct part numbers for 1996 are
72335-SL0-j11
72375-SL0-J11

The discounted price on US vendor web sites is about $170 (the picture is incorrect on the web sites) so you will want to order this part from Amayama or Mitamotorsports

When installing the new one, be careful with it. It is very soft metal and is easily kinked during installation. You can unbend the kinks; but not completely remove them. I don't think there is any way that you are replacing this in situ. You can do that with the outer trim piece if you are careful. You probably do not need to completely remove the inner door upholstery panel to do this; but, you will need to completely release it along the top which means that you are 80% towards removal. At that point, if you have any other door maintenance issues (lube the door latch, try and clean and lube the window tracks, Hugo regulator kit? ....) I would be inclined to completely remove the inner panel to do that stuff.

The problem you show is on the driver side door. Normally that window gets more use; however, if the passenger side window gets equal use you might want to order both sides at the same time. Two pieces should ship for the about the cost of one from Amayama.

Amazing how Amayama's prices are literally 30% of local offerings.
Even with shipment it is still significantly cheaper.

Back