Wimpy Horn

I was cruising through a small town the other day, and there was a bunch of young kids coming toward me, and they were pointing at my car so I waved and beeped the horn. I swear that they thought that was a joke. I think the horn would be more at home on a VW beetle than an "exotic" sports car. Anyway any thoughts / suggestions about getting something different? Thanks; Howard

I remeber years ago, Randy at RM racing had a kit developed for our cars that utilized the 355 Ferrari horns. It was cheap too, I think only a $100 bucks. Don't know if the guy is in buisness any more. Our horns do sound weak, I would have to agree. Frank

Hella horn kit upgrade...:cool: I will try to find a website with sound clips

I would be interested in a sport horn also. I love using the horn on my Esprit but try to just rev at people if I'm in the X. LOL

Hella airhorns. I've had them on my other cars, and they're great if you can find room for em. They do need to be in an open area to be their loudest, though. Some PO put a set of some kind of 3-trumpet airhorns in my NSX, but they're currently non-functional so I'll have to see what's going on. They're in about the stock location, so once they work they should be plenty loud.

One of these days I want to install the PIAA horns. If you do a search here on Prime, you can locate Hugh's description of the horns and installation.

The Miata community has been using this for years:
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Air_Horn.html. I've had one on my Miata for a couple of years and think that it will fit in the stock location on the NSX. It's worth the look on peoples faces when they look and see what a small car the big noise is coming from.

The Miata community has been using this for years:
http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Air_Horn.html. I've had one on my Miata for a couple of years and think that it will fit in the stock location on the NSX. It's worth the look on peoples faces when they look and see what a small car the big noise is coming from.

Griots' sells those and a couple others, too. I'd want to check those out if the traditional ones that are in mine turn out to actually be broken. Mounting and hooking up all the pieces is a PITA.

I hate wimpy horns. The NSX has wimpy horns (I think I counted 3). I've also tried the air horns from many manufacturers including Hella. They tend not to last very long. I have a set of Hella SuperTone 118db horns sitting in my trunk. I had them on my S2000 and my Chevelle. They are LOUD but sound good due to the dual tone setup. I can't wait to install them but i'll have to remove my front bumper to do it right.

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-SuperTone-Horn-Kit-118/dp/B000CRZXPI

I hate wimpy horns. The NSX has wimpy horns (I think I counted 3). I've also tried the air horns from many manufacturers including Hella. They tend not to last very long. I have a set of Hella SuperTone 118db horns sitting in my trunk. I had them on my S2000 and my Chevelle. They are LOUD but sound good due to the dual tone setup. I can't wait to install them but i'll have to remove my front bumper to do it right.

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-SuperTone-Horn-Kit-118/dp/B000CRZXPI

I just don't like the way the disk horns sound. I hope they fixed the rust-out problem they had in the past.

If you don't abuse em, and install em properly, trumpet horns can last a decent amount of time. My first set was still working 5 years after install when I sold the car, my current set is almost 7 years, both 3-trumpet Hellas.

I just don't like the way the disk horns sound. I hope they fixed the rust-out problem they had in the past.

If you don't abuse em, and install em properly, trumpet horns can last a decent amount of time. My first set was still working 5 years after install when I sold the car, my current set is almost 7 years, both 3-trumpet Hellas.
interesting... looks like we've had completely 180 deg experience. i have no problems with the disks but all sorts of problems with the horns. everything from leaking and hardening hoses to busted or frozen air compressors. it's too bad for me though, I like the sound of the horns much more.

The compressors are crappy so they'll fail first. FIAMMs are pretty bad. Everyone I've known with those have had em die inside a year. The vanes quit sealing, so it spins but doesn't push any air. Seems the more hose you use, the more stress it puts on the compressor. I try to use no more than a foot or so of hose total. I've had some problems with the splitters falling apart, so you could always use aquarium parts.

The 1-piece ones like the ones tom4416 linked to are interesting, but since the compressor is integrated, it's totally disposable.

I changed the horns on my NSX a good while back to a set of mini dual tone horns which have a deep sound similar to the BMW horn. I also removed the old OEM horns from behind the front bumper which cleans the look from the front up a bit and then I installed the new horn in the front trunk/spare wheel compartment so its out of the way yet still sound great.

The compressors are crappy so they'll fail first. FIAMMs are pretty bad. Everyone I've known with those have had em die inside a year. The vanes quit sealing, so it spins but doesn't push any air. Seems the more hose you use, the more stress it puts on the compressor. I try to use no more than a foot or so of hose total. I've had some problems with the splitters falling apart, so you could always use aquarium parts.

The 1-piece ones like the ones tom4416 linked to are interesting, but since the compressor is integrated, it's totally disposable.

I've heard that too but I've had my FIAMM horns and compressor on for 7 years now and it still works perfectly.

I put a set of FIAMM 3 horn system in for all the same reasons as the original note. LOVE THEM. I managed to get them inside the front with one relatively simple bracket. Absolutely love the sound. Concerning the longevity; can't say much as I've only had them for a couple months. On the other hand, they were like $40 shipped off Amazon. I'll buy a new package if this dies and just change the compressor. I hear the hella sound the same. Not sure if they are higher quality.

Did I mention I love the horn?

Back