Will there ever be another "golden-era" of super-cars like the early/mid '00s?

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
Will there ever be another "golden-era" of super-cars like the early/mid '00s?

It's an obvious reality that the global economy is takin' a step-back, or two or even three as of late. In particular, the world's largest individual economy as well as by-far the largest market for quote/unquote super-cars, namely the U.S., is mired in a ever-deepening recession w/o any end in sight for the time being.

The not so long ago "golden-era" of super-cars included:

'99-'05 Pagani Zonda C12 / '05+ Zonda-F
'00-'04 Saleen S7 / '05-'06 S7 TT
'00-XX Spyker C8
'02-'05 Koenigsegg CC8S / '04-'06 CCR / '06+ CCX
'03-'04 Ferrari Enzo / '05-'06 Ferrari FXX / '08+ Evoluzione
'03-'06 Ford GT
'03-'09 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren / '06 722 / '07 Roadster
'04-'05 Maserati MC12
'04-'06 Porsche Carrera GT
'05-XX Bugatti Veyron

Call me the skeptic or the cynic, perhaps even Debbie'downer/Bobby-buzz'kill, but I don't see a return to such a "golden-era" of super-cars, ever. Things have changed so much, so quick, it's difficult to comprehend what the future may behold. Perhaps renewable/hybrid/electric/alt-fuel/green super-cars are what it will be ultimately be about?

And, wanna know what I'm the most p1ssed about? No, it's not that I was not able to own/possess many/all of the aforementioned makes/models that I so coveted (well, I am kinda jaded & bitter about that... :D). But, rather that Honda could've easily had a name to be mentioned w/ the aforementioned greats in a carbon-fiber/composite-monoque V10 powered HSC! :tears:

Last edited:
Re: Will there ever be another "golden-era" of super-cars like the early/mid '00s?

It probably will, seems like every ten or so years, there is a cycle. Unfortunately for Honda, timing was never right.

1970's.

Ferrari Daytona, 512BB
BMW M1
Porsche 911 2.7 RS
Lamborghini Countach
Lotus Espirit
Alfa Romeo Carabo
Maseratti Bora
Pantera

1980's
Ferrari 288 GTO, F40, Testarossa
Porsche 959
Lamborghini Countash
Isdera Imperator

1990's
Ascari Ecosse
Bugatti EB-110/EB-110 SuperSport
Cizeta Moroder
Ferrari F50
Isdera Commendatore 112i
Jaguar XJ220
Jaguar XJR-15
Koenigsegg CC
Lamborghini Diablo
Lister Storm
McLaren F1
Mega Track
Nazca C2
Pagani Zonda
Schuppan 962CR
Spectre R42

2000's
Ascari KZ1
Ascari A10
Bugatti Veyron
B Engineering Edonis
Ferrari Enzo
Ford GT
Gumpert Apollo
Hulme F1
Koenigsegg
Lamborghini Murciélago
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Mosler MT900
Pagani Zonda
Porsche Carrera GT
Saleen S7
SSC Aero
Dodge Viper SRT/10

Approach may be different with Green Environment in mind, but it will be there. As long as we have motor racing, we'll have fast cars.

Re: Will there ever be another "golden-era" of super-cars like the early/mid '00s?

Great post. I ask myself the same question too. Cars back then had a sense of soul and passion built into it. Take for instance, the Toyota Supra, NSX, S2000... I love the fact that they are considered classics and you feel connected with the car when you drive.

Having driven newer sports cars, it's great and all but i feel disconnected with it. My friend works at Nissan Corporate and when the company was located in So.Cal, he brought home 350Z Track, G35coupe, and other test models they had from competitors.. I was fortunate to go over to his place and test drive them because it made me appreciate my AE86 and the S2000 just a bit more (appreciate it because of the simplicity of the vehicle).

Yes. Yup. Your posts are always thoughtful.

"Things have changed so much, so quick, it's difficult to comprehend what the future may behold. Perhaps renewable/hybrid/electric/alt-fuel/green super-cars are what it will be ultimately be about?"

Detroit's NAIS opened today with electric and whatever front stage - 'cause CA crowd and politicians want to dictate (not order) same. It's the "hip" thing.

Fossil fueled vehicles are here to stay. Oil and natural gas ARE our collective immediate future, the energy that drives America and the WORLD'S economy. We need to drill, refine, drive our own.

I share the back end of your post, as well, about Honda.

And as an afterfart, I believe the 50-60-70's "muscle" and such collector car mania will live on for years to come, as well. All of your very fine sports car listing will be increasingly important.

They will always make supercars/sport cars.

Even when we had the stock market crash in the 70s and with the oil crisis, they still were producing them!

Hell Lamborghini just reported an increase in sales in 2008. Check our Barret Jacksons car auctions, people obviously still have money to burn.

The heavy hitters you listed will still produce low volume supercars. Maybe the high volume sport cars will take a back seat to more fuel efficient cars. But thats as extreme i think it will get.

Yep, every time we run into a recession, there will always more models to choose from at the tail end of the recession.

Not sure about another "golden-era" (probably not for a while) but I would definitely put the C6 Z06 and ZR1 on that list as well. Frankly, I think the fact that a corvette can be had for under $100k which will drive circles around many of those supercars epitomizes today as the "golden-era". I'd love to have one.

Back