Will our great grand kids know what "manual" is?

Back in '02 I took delivery of a BMW. When I was researching I came across this:

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=1319&categoryId=1

With this is mind, how many of you think that the conventional manual will eventually be obsolete. Like cassette tapes giving way to CDs.

Ferrari has its F1 Tranny, Audi DSG, BMW SMG, Toyota has the sequential in its MR2, Lamborghini its e-gear, and the next NSX rumored to have a F1 inspired paddle shift as well. Feels like more and more manufacturers are leaning towards this new technology. Porsche is the only major player that I know of that still hasn't gone this route.

I know when I have kids someday theyre damn well gonna have to learn manual. My dad taught me to drive a stick and i think its a good thing for the father to pass to the son. Though itll be a while since im only 19 :D .

i dont think it will ever be replaced like the cd/tape example. the cd was a giant step up; skipping tracks instantly, more music, more compact, etc. automatics are just for conveinance. manuals still are > than automatics. i can see a lot more "f1" paddle style shifting becoming more available to appeal to people and i think they will sell well, but wont push the good old stick out of the picture. and my kids will learn to drive stick, its proven very useful to me.

95NSXT said:
i dont think it will ever be replaced like the cd/tape example. the cd was a giant step up; skipping tracks instantly, more music, more compact, etc. automatics are just for conveinance. manuals still are > than automatics.

A sequential manual is not an automatic.

I do agree that manual is better than automatics in terms of performance, but in your example you seem to be equating the conventional auto with a sequential manual. Not sure I agree with that.

95NSXT said:
i can see a lot more "f1" paddle style shifting becoming more available to appeal to people and i think they will sell well, but wont push the good old stick out of the picture. and my kids will learn to drive stick, its proven very useful to me.

Never say never. The Ferrari Enzo and BMW's statement on their SMG transmission is a sign that it might indeed happen. (I would say more so in high end cars).

We got a loaner civic from Honda a couple of years ago and didn't have power windows. My kids asked us what were those things (manual window cranks) were. lol

Of course they would know: "Manual" is the book with more than 500 pages that comes with the car and that you have to read to understand how the automatic or double clutch or sequential half automatic or Durashift (Ford special, really sucks) tranny works (expect 200 pages more if the car is a Bimmer and has i-drive). Also known as "owners manual" - will be more important than ever. ;)

Last edited:
Another thing to throw in the mix is CVTs. If advances allow them to be able to accomodate higher power with losses no worse than a convention manual, I don't see what advantage a manual transmission (even SMG, F1, etc.) could offer.

Even though you'll have ideal gearing at all speeds (and ideal efficiency all rates of acceleration at a given speed), the lack of shifting and the monotonous moan of the engine spinning at a fixed RPM will make driving a lot more boring.

RyRy210 said:
A sequential manual is not an automatic.

I do agree that manual is better than automatics in terms of performance, but in your example you seem to be equating the conventional auto with a sequential manual. Not sure I agree with that.

im a little confused about what you are saying. i didnt say anything about a sequential manual, unless you are talking about my f1 reference, but i wasnt equating that with auto or maybe i just said it wrong, havent had much sleep lately.
77_77.gif

All for it. Technology is advancing and we've got to move with it.
Remember when the first cars used to have a lever you crank in the front to start it? Didn't miss that at all. ;)

95NSXT said:
im a little confused about what you are saying. i didnt say anything about a sequential manual, unless you are talking about my f1 reference, but i wasnt equating that with auto or maybe i just said it wrong, havent had much sleep lately.

I guess I got confused because the topic at hand was about sequential manuals. I don't think I made any reference to a conventional automatic tranny. When you started talking about automatics, it gave me the impression that you thought they were one of the same.

Joel said:
All for it. Technology is advancing and we've got to move with it.
Remember when the first cars used to have a lever you crank in the front to start it? Didn't miss that at all. ;)

That is an interesting perspective. I can see how that happens.

RyRy210 said:
I guess I got confused because the topic at hand was about sequential manuals. I don't think I made any reference to a conventional automatic tranny. When you started talking about automatics, it gave me the impression that you thought they were one of the same.

ahh ok, now i am on the same page. i was just responding to:

"With this is mind, how many of you think that the conventional manual will eventually be obsolete. Like cassette tapes giving way to CDs."

my a.d.h.d. had me disregard the first few words in the sentence and i just focused on if we thought manuals would become extinct.

so to make a post that makes sense, i dont think they will be pushed off completely, but rich people who want the car for status, like t-mac who had his lambo converted to an auto according to the announcer, will like that more companies are incorperating the paddle shifting and what not of sequential gearboxes into options for transmissions to buy, but i dont think they will run manuals off the board. it would be interesting to look at sales numbers from when they introduced their sequential manuals from companies like ferrari and bmw to see how many people bought which kind.

I drove the 360 F1 and I wasn't crazy about the paddle shifting. However, if I lived in a city with a lot of traffic, it would be a great optoin. Shift when I want and stick it in D when there is a lot of traffic.

The New Audi TT is supposed to have a really great transmission.

Ojas said:
Another thing to throw in the mix is CVTs. If advances allow them to be able to accomodate higher power with losses no worse than a convention manual, I don't see what advantage a manual transmission (even SMG, F1, etc.) could offer.

Even though you'll have ideal gearing at all speeds (and ideal efficiency all rates of acceleration at a given speed), the lack of shifting and the monotonous moan of the engine spinning at a fixed RPM will make driving a lot more boring.

I agree with your statement 100%.

CVT=JUNK.

I bought a Nissan Murano. Owned it for a month and traded it in for a Touareg. The CVT makes the car feel like a snowmobile. The engine whines like it is about to blow at any second, and for all the noise and chatter there is not any feeling of acceleration. The CVT was the biggest part of the reason why I got rid of the Murano, but Nissans lack of quality also played a roll.

Back