Why the nsx stands alone

Being in the business of developing prototypes and new products, I have a fondness for engineering and design excellence. More than a fondness, a reverence. I first saw the NSX at a dealer display in 91. Last year, I finally bought one. The appeal of the NSX comes from many characteristics, but for me the clincher that sets the NSX apart from all other cars is the combination of superbly accurate choices that are evident in its' engineering, styling and construction. Rarely in any complex product do so many great choices come together at one time. While most supercars are about outrageous shapes, the NSX is the expression of timeless simplicity and beauty of design and engineering far ahead of it's time. My 96 looks new, but of course it's 20 years old- and turns heads like it did when it was fresh off the floor. I took it in for an oil change at an Acura dealer, and got treated like I'd brought in an indy car. Mechanics and salesmen gathered to look at it, some said they had never seen one before in person. The service rep started to open the front hood to look for the engine! The guys doing the oil change spent a lot of time admiring the suspension and engine module system, and telling me what a great car I owned. This is the stuff legends are made of, and in a world constantly awash in new and always exaggerated wonder-cars, the NSX stands alone.

If you don't own one yet... save more money; the prices are going up.

Last edited:
Congrats!!, not sure if I trust them with oil change if he was looking for the engine in front.

The nsx is awesome. So awesome that I rebuilt a civic to look like one, as some others around have asked me.:rolleyes:

I agree. As an engineer who has worked on automotive component design in the past, its clear to me that the engineers won the battle for most of the parts on the car. That is truly remarkable because most of the time, the engineers propose a nice, solid, objective design but are forced to compromise with the marketing/sales/design departments and you end up with a shitty product.

Now, with the NSX, every time I look at the suspension bits, or the seats, or the shifter etc etc etc I can really appreciate just how well made and thought out these things are. I just love it :)

Thanks for sharing your secret love notes hehehe

Last edited:
The NSX was designed and, initially at least, built while Honda was still an engineering-driven company. Cars like the first few generations of Accord, the last gen Prelude, the CRX, the Legend, and the Integra GSR/TypeR were all groundbreaking designs. Each of the cars on that list were very different from the others as each was designed and engineered for a different target market. But all shared a common theme: minimum compromise to cost and styling at the expense of overall performance and a high quality driving experience. All drive right because all are engineered right. As a result, all are, or soon will be automotive legends (pun intended).

Back