Why so many owners?

Because most of the time the car is a 3rd or 4th car to the owner and when times get tough the NSX is the first one to go. Another reason is that people like to experience different sports cars and after owning the NSX for a couple of years they try something else.

The biggest reason is that the NSX is a somewhat accessible exotic. Once the car bottomed out (and its up from bottom now) around the time of the 02 update, the early ones could be had kind of cheaply (at least from what I remember). Low 20s for decent ones.

Because there is a perception that its cheap to maintain (true compared to Porsche or Ferrari), lots of people jumped in and bought their "dream car".

Unfortunately, lots of them (in my opinion) were over their heads. The reality of things like TB/WP service and tire life and the impracticality of any car like this as a daily driver, finally hit home at some point. Then the car was right back on the market or traded in on an SUV.

Rinse repeat on that and the car gets 4 owners and has passed through auction a bunch.

I think RECENTLY the market is getting soft again because the folks who have it as a pure luxury are selling (if they need to), but in the past, I think it is more that the price just bottomed out allowing people to get in over their head.

That doesnt happen (as much) on Ferrari or Porsche because even when they hit TEN grand people still fear the maintenance.

Ive looked at a LOT of cars in the past few months while deciding what to buy on my way back in to a sports car (been out for a few years).

Ive noticed that on average NSX's definitely have more owners than Porsche, Lotus and even Viper. Vettes seem to have a lot of owners as well. I think the perceived "ease" of the cars is the key.

Its really a shame because unlike Porsches or Vettes, NSXs are really really finite and each round they are getting rougher (unless they fall into the hands of someone with the means and will to take care of the car and the ability to have it as a fair weather toy) At some point, I suppose a really pristine NSX with low miles and a solid honest history (and no accidents or extensive paint work) will be quite a valuable thing, because I think the car will ALWAYS have collector interest.

Last edited:
Also many people don't realize that "modding" this car is not cheap either ... I remember how cheap was to buy parts to my prelude comparing with the S2000, now, is happening the same but with the NSX ... If you like to have your NSX perfect the way you want, i'll take some good cash ,,,

Oscar

Also many people don't realize that "modding" this car is not cheap either ... I remember how cheap was to buy parts to my prelude comparing with the S2000, now, is happening the same but with the NSX ... If you like to have your NSX perfect the way you want, i'll take some good cash ,,,

Oscar

I'm pretty sure I'm aware of this lol ;)

Oscar

This is a good point too and is related to the trend I was thinking about.

Younger guys especially (no slight on the younger guys) may get very excited once these cars fall "into range" (low 20s most likely) and be unable to resist the thrill of cruising around like a celebrity in the super exotic. Its like getting away with something.

Unfortunately, however, when you are young there are other factors that influence you strongly as well. Namely testosterone. And the reality of a 15-18 year old NA1 NSX starts to set in. Compared to the crappy hot hatches buzzing around everywhere, the ole NSX is kind of slow.

Now for a typical older owner (and of course a segment of younger owners as well), this doesnt matter because the NSX is really almost in "classic car" category and most older owners are beyond the "king of the stoplight" stage (note I say MOST, of course this is all generalization)

I think most of the younger guys who think they got away with something buying the NSX instead of an STI or EVO figure they can just mod it and "fix" the performance "problem".

Unfortunately as Oscar points out, this is NOT cheap. So I think a cascade of bad news can hit at once... That 91 that seemed like such an amazing deal suddenly BADLY needs $3000 in service (major, TB, WP) that was probably never done. To keep up with a Mustang or STI it needs $15,000 in mods. Suddenly the idea doesnt seem so good and looking like a "celebrity" seems less worth it. Back the NSX goes to be traded in for a Supra or whatever other current tuner favorite is in vogue.

Another reason is that people like to experience different sports cars and after owning the NSX for a couple of years they try something else.

Then they realize the awful mistake they made as nothing out there comes close to the NSX driving experience. So they sell their Eurocrap and come back into the fold. :)

There are a bunch of people here that have owned more than one NSX. I can only imagine the frustration of valet parking your 911 and waiting for the attendant taking 30 minutes figuring out which of the dozen or so in the parking lot is yours.

ITs not how many owners the car had its the quality of the owners!!! One wrong owner and the car would go down hill fast!! IF ALL the owners took care of the car the car will be NICE!! Most of the time you will be able to tell if the car had good owners.

Here's why...for example:

My ex-02 Imola Orange:
-bought new and the owner had it for 1400miles or so and sold it
-another guy owned it as a weekend car. He put on 8000 miles then sold it
-I bought it and put on another 3k miles before I sold it to keep my $ in the bank and it then had 13000miles.

Now its onto its forth owner and hardly even driven. Why did I sell it?!?!:frown:

Now its onto its forth owner and hardly even driven. Why did I sell it?!?!:frown:

Sorry man, but you will come back and you will get your NSX back!!! we are all waiting on that! :)

Kennyc and Big D hit it on the head for the most part, I believe.

The cars are older... people have various reasons for selling and moving on.

Some just try it and want to try something else.

The car is more of a luxury item, even though it can be a DD many choose if for a pleasure/weekend/special occassion type of vehicle.

I have seen many sold acct, got married, kids on the way, etc.

In my case, I believe I am the third, possibly 4th owner. Not sure about the previous owners before the one I purchased mine from... but his was due to a divorce and he was selling off some of the luxury items.

It appears my car had owners that took very good care of it. It is in great shape, been maintained, even had some high $$$ upgrades.

Back