Why should i buy an nsx?

Ok after watching NSXs gone wild its obvious. I'm looking into getting an NSX. Obviously I like supercars. I like Lambos and Vipers and Ferraris but what the hell have they done for me!? Honda makes quads that I've been riding since I was 12, they make the CBR600 I ride which is my 1st bike, and they make the NSX which is one of those special cars that is really exciting because you can actually think about owning one. As an average person I've concluded I want these 3 cars in my dream garage, An Acura NSX, a Viper GTS, and a Lotus Esprit. All are awesome and you can actually buy them. Anyway I'm looking for an NSX between 18 and 25k$ which probably means high mileage and between 91 and 93. What should I look for, and besides the cost of snap ring or timing belt, how much would it be on insurance(I'm 25 no accidents in NJ moms plan lol)? Also what kind of real mods are there for this car? (S-chargers/T-chargers) 1 more thing if i had to take this in 4 inches of snow what would happen? thanks

Derrick:cool:

Once you get your car and take through 4 inches of snow I would love to see pics....

For that kind of money you will probably end up getting a car with deferred manintenance and you will end up spending another $5K getting it back up to par. Do a search on maintenance costs and you will find plenty of info that has been posted countless times before.

There are more mods for this car than you have money to spend. :smile:

No one can tell you how much insurance is going to be. Ask your Mom's agent for a quote on a 91 NSX and see for yourself.

There are owners that drive in the snow but they are the exception and not the rule. I would not use an NSX as a daily driver in the winter...but hey thats your decision.

Good Luck

Ok after watching NSXs gone wild its obvious. I'm looking into getting an NSX. Obviously I like supercars. I like Lambos and Vipers and Ferraris but what the hell have they done for me!? Honda makes quads that I've been riding since I was 12, they make the CBR600 I ride which is my 1st bike, and they make the NSX which is one of those special cars that is really exciting because you can actually think about owning one. As an average person I've concluded I want these 3 cars in my dream garage, An Acura NSX, a Viper GTS, and a Lotus Esprit. All are awesome and you can actually buy them. Anyway I'm looking for an NSX between 18 and 25k$ which probably means high mileage and between 91 and 93. What should I look for, and besides the cost of snap ring or timing belt, how much would it be on insurance(I'm 25 no accidents in NJ moms plan lol)? Also what kind of real mods are there for this car? (S-chargers/T-chargers) 1 more thing if i had to take this in 4 inches of snow what would happen? thanks

Derrick:cool:

welcome, from a fellow new jersey-ian, a fellow 25 year old, and a fellow "i want an nsx"-er.

at the pricepoint you are looking, you will most likely find higher mileage early model cars (probably 91-92) in not the best shape. Ones that are solid still go for $25k and are snatched up pretty quickly. the cost of tb/wp is quite high. a clutch job is also quite expensive. buying a snap-ring car with over 100k miles should generally be ok because it hasn't broken yet.

many have said that insuring an nsx is no more than insuring almost any other sports car. in nj, that means a good amount of $$. i have a pretty clean driving record too, 2 not-my-fault accidents and no speeding tickets, or any tickets for that matter. I would guess if i were to ask to insure an nsx through my parents' plan, it would be north of $2k/year, but that depends on a whole lot of things that noone can predict except the insurance companies.

there area whole host of aftermarket upgrades for the car, from superchargers that bring the hp output to 350whp without a sweat, to turbo systems that can go however high you want. (several members have 600-700-800-1000 hp cars) but it all depends how much you want to pay. forced induction on an nsx starts around $5k and goes up from there. everything on this car is expensive, from headers and exhausts in the range of $1k-2k each, etc.

the nsx also eats tires. most would be lucky to get 30k miles out of 1x front tire set + 2x rear tire set. tires in the correct sizes also aren't cheap. also, nj roads suck always.

also, fixing a broken nsx is not cheap either. good thing is that we have one of the country's best nsx mechanics, LarryB right over the boarder in NY.

you will not be able to drive the nsx on the roads with snow. first, you'll need snow tires, and second, the ground clearance just isn't there. especially if we get snow like we got this past winter.

Last edited:
Man that is such an open ended question that you are going to get little responses on that cause no one wants to start giving you a list of 100 things to look for ......geez. For instance, right off the bat you have selected a price range that doesn't even start to make sense till you get to 25k - imho. Mods as Big D says are so numerous as to be ridiculous - get you WALLET out! Super Charger- 10k - ok any more questions - suspension upgrades - out the waaaaazoo- none of which are necessary imho. So let's not go there - please stick with basic questions till you do a lot more lurking and reading. At 25k you might get a decent 91 without snap ring issues and some maintenance up to date - even the TB and Water Pump and hoses. It may need a clutch - that's 2400 or so, but it will have 75 to 80k + miles on it. A good low miler with up to date maintenance in a 91 will still cost you 30+k - period. That's where I'd start - so don't kid yourself about mods. When you have a budget like yours you obviously know just enough to get yourself into trouble with the NSX. Start reading ....or asking more simple questions that will solicit more direct responses.

Back