Why Not SH-AWD?

W E I G H T

There're a few lambo murci owners have converted their AWD to just RWD.

Here is quote from Lambo forum "One thing that woudl MASSIVELY increase your HP (about 60 HP), decrease weight (between 250 & 300 lbs.), and imporve clutch life would be to convert it to RWD by removing the front driveshaft, differential etc. It's a fully reversible procedure and only about a 6 hour job. I will be doing my car shortly and cannot wait. Being in Vegas, you have no real need for AWD (e.g., snow, lots of rain, etc.) and would only benefit from the conversion not to mention increase cluth life greatly by reducing the overwhelming "grip" that AWD creates"

nsx1 said:
Okay guys, without even trying, I read 3 posts from 3 seperate people that did NOT want SH-AWD in the next-generation NSX. It seems like a great idea to me.

Why don't you want it?

How about if it was selectable?
That would not save the weight but it would be fun to drive it both ways, would it not?

AndyH said:
W E I G H T

There're a few lambo murci owners have converted their AWD to just RWD.

Here is quote from Lambo forum "One thing that woudl MASSIVELY increase your HP (about 60 HP), decrease weight (between 250 & 300 lbs.), and imporve clutch life would be to convert it to RWD by removing the front driveshaft, differential etc. It's a fully reversible procedure and only about a 6 hour job. I will be doing my car shortly and cannot wait. Being in Vegas, you have no real need for AWD (e.g., snow, lots of rain, etc.) and would only benefit from the conversion not to mention increase cluth life greatly by reducing the overwhelming "grip" that AWD creates"

While I agree I like RWD more than 4WD. I also agree with that the fact that will eliminate some drivetrain loss, but I wonder how much difference that conversion will affect handling, as it seems weight distribution had also affected. Tire/ wheel offset and size, alignment and even suspension tuning must be involoved to archeive good handling.......

I can totally see the above message from a bling lambo guy... The difference on the 4WD and RWD is great enough that you have to have different driving skills, line to bring the car to perform at limit.

There is a lot of advantage and disadvantage between 2 drivetrain... But for a sports car, the 4WD still have the "I'm cheating" tag on them even after many years of developing... thus to some it creates an image of it's not a true sport car if it got 4WD.

PLUS, many of nsx owners will dream or ready to buy the next nsx replacement. The light feet, Mid engine RWD is one of the selling point or even main focus for the current nsx. It's natural for them to denial a 4WD nsx. (Not unlike die hard Porsche fans will dis C4 or even Turbo anyday, doesn't matter how fast they got. However they don't dis 959.....)

I'm a die hard nsx fans too, so HONDA!!! Make anything you want, just don't call it nsx or even relate to it if it is not mid engine, RWD and light weight.

Back