Why longitudinal?

I watched the unveiling today and they made a point that the engine is positioned longitudinally, as if it is a technological marvel and advantage to do so. Why is that so? It seems like for a mid-engine rear drive layout, transverse would be better like in the original NSX. Is it just to have more room for the tranny and the electric drivetrain? Seem like longitudinal would result in more drivetrain loss converting the power 90 degrees to the wheels.

I think a longitudinal layout is the optimal configuration for many reasons and leaves plenty of room for that 9-speed (!) DCT :biggrin:

Complex adding a 9 speed, and an electric motor/generator to a transverse, and keep it strong.
but more important: Is there still a trunk?

Transverse has different length axles which does not transmit the torque as equally. At the end of the day there really isn't a big drivetrain loss from one configuration over the other but longitudinal allows for more gearbox flexibility and for even exhaust and intake plumbing.

Transverse has different length axles which does not transmit the torque as equally. At the end of the day there really isn't a big drivetrain loss from one configuration over the other but longitudinal allows for more gearbox flexibility and for even exhaust and intake plumbing.

Ah, the even length exhaust and intake plumbing makes sense! That's really about the only thing that makes much sense.

But as someone else said above, will there be any room left for a trunk after the longitudinal twin turbo engine, 9 speed DCT, electric motor, etc??

After all this, the Tesla P85D really seems like the car of the future in its simplicity and performance, and now it even seems cheap by comparison!!!

You can't have wide, strong gears in a 6, 7, 8 speed transverse gearbox -another reason longitudinal is better. Advantages of transverse is simplicity and packaging, so less expensive and more room in the car for luggage.

You can't have wide, strong gears in a 6, 7, 8 speed transverse gearbox -another reason longitudinal is better. Advantages of transverse is simplicity and packaging, so less expensive and more room in the car for luggage.

How do they do it in the TLX with the 9 speed AT? I know it's not DCT, but does DCT take up more space? Or are the gears not wide and strong??

Last edited:
DCTs take up a ton of space and are huge gearboxes. In order for them to be transverse (with the engine) there has to be a lot of room (width) between the frame rails to fit everything. This wide distance is structurally weaker due to the huge hole necessary to fit the engine and transaxle. This isn't a huge issue for a sport sedan but its not ideal for a proper sportscar.

Because it's better. It's what's used in F1.

Thought the only reason for tranverse is for closer to center of the car's axis and (in the case of the NSX 1.0) a trunk......

- - - Updated - - -

I see GM V-8 conversion kits in the future....

Thought the only reason for tranverse is for closer to center of the car's axis and (in the case of the NSX 1.0) a trunk......

- - - Updated - - -

I see GM V-8 conversion kits in the future....

NOT in the near future. Maybe 20 years from now.

Ah, the even length exhaust and intake plumbing makes sense! That's really about the only thing that makes much sense.

But as someone else said above, will there be any room left for a trunk after the longitudinal twin turbo engine, 9 speed DCT, electric motor, etc??

After all this, the Tesla P85D really seems like the car of the future in its simplicity and performance, and now it even seems cheap by comparison!!!

You can still fit two golf bags in the trunk they claim.

Have never seen a car that caters to the Japanese market that won't hold two golf carry bags.

Why go long?

The short answer is packaging/aero/balance and this is how F1/Prototypes does it but you loose the trunk.

With the engine-gearbox-Diff layout in long, you have a symmetrical space on either side of the engine block where the CG and the Center of Pressure in close proximity and this is the beginning of the diffuser which extends all the way pass the rear tires, with a proper wing, to generate serious DF of the earlier race cars something in the neighborhood of 3-4Gs with no need to lift before the corning speed got too high so now the tunnel of the diffuser is very shallow comparatively.

With the trans layout, you don't have the proper space needed to generate DF but you can put two golf bags in the trunk.

The blueprint is a Group C car and the other one is the Big Mac 12C/650/P1 cut-away with the huge DCT no way for a trans layout.

i'm so glad they made the last min change for all of the reasons mentioned above. Like Ted said, that's like performing heart transplant while the patient is still alive.

I hope this longitudinal architecture makes it's way to the new rumored MR S2000 replacement.

My guess is even weight balance L/R. Probably better also for vehicle dynamics under acceleration/braking. With transverse engines there is a lot of rocking back/forth upon whenever the throttle opens.

- - - Updated - - -

Note also that racing variants of the NA1/NA2 NSXs were also converted to be longitudinal, so clearly there is some serious performance advantage.

Road and Track seems to think it allows the option to go to a V8/V10 in the future

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...pure-speculation-the-acura-nsx-will-get-a-v8/

About halfway through the NSX's three-year development, the engineers made what they called a dramatic shift: Instead of positioning the V6 engine across the back of the passenger compartment—as was done in the original NSX—they changed the engine position so that it now runs lengthwise.

This switch was presented as a major hurdle, one that took enormous amounts of extra engineering. The fact that they pulled it off, company reps said, was a testament to the dedication of the engineers working on the car.

I'm sure that's true, but they never really explained why they made the switch. There's a nod to this adjustment in the press release that suggests the move was done so the engine could be made more powerful (We don't yet know the exact power figure or the size of the motor, only that the engine combined with the three electric motors will produce "over 550 hp").

But my guess is that they positioned the engine lengthwise so they could eventually drop in a V8.

This is pure speculation, but hear me out. When I asked Ted Klaus, the NSX lead engineer, why the change was made he said that there's only so much room across the car. Place an engine sideways, add in an electric motor and then the transmission, and there's not a lot of room left over. They had enough space to start with, since that's how the engine was originally placed, but clearly they felt a cushion was needed. And they also lengthened the car during the process.

When I asked one of the product planners which sports car they used as a benchmark, she replied that Audi's R8 presented a decent playbook. You'll remember that the R8 began with a V8 engine, then added a V10, then a convertible, and then a high performance R8 V10 Plus. With significant mechanical changes, Audi kept the R8 fresh. Acura will need to do something similar with the NSX.

For now the V6 will work perfectly considering the connection to Honda's current race engines—the IndyCar and F1 motors are both twin-turbo V6es. But Honda has built V-8 race engines in the past. And as they've shown with the new NSX and its all-new V6, which has an uncommon 75-degree angle between the cylinders to make it shorter than a typical 60-degree motor, that Honda is not shy about producing new special engines.

As I mentioned, this whole theory is simple and delicious sports-car conjecture. The new V6 could have enough bandwidth to accommodate significant displacement increases over the life cycle of the car. Perhaps the NSX will initially debut as a 3.0-liter and then expand to a 3.5-liter.

When we know, you'll know.

Maybe they are making room for this swap in the future:

01.jpg

Yes but this way the swap is expedited by having the engine facing in the right direction! :smile:

Back