Why is a good NSX so hard to find?

I've been looking on and off for almost 6 months now for a clean, unmodified, reasonable mileage 91-94 NSX and am having such a hard time. I'm willing to spend mid-30's. I prefer red or silver, not a black hard to keep clean car. It seems like every car I find has something wrong with it, mileage, unwanted mods, bad paint or repaint, dents and dings, many owners, etc.

Where is the best source to find a clean garage queen type car? It seems like there are a good number of NSX's trading hands, but mostly newer or well used older ones.

I don't think many owners is a bad thing. It's a 15 year old car.

Whats wrong with nice mods? If you don't like them there are plenty on here who will trade you their stock parts for all the unwanted mods.:biggrin:

I'd say here on prime is the best place to find one with the most knowledgable and best owners to buy from.

Someone here just bought one off Ebay that seemed good all the way around. (former George Lucas car)

Just have to keep looking. Good luck.

I've been looking on and off for almost 6 months now for a clean, unmodified, reasonable mileage 91-94 NSX and am having such a hard time. I'm willing to spend mid-30's. I prefer red or silver, not a black hard to keep clean car. It seems like every car I find has something wrong with it, mileage, unwanted mods, bad paint or repaint, dents and dings, many owners, etc.

Where is the best source to find a clean garage queen type car? It seems like there are a good number of NSX's trading hands, but mostly newer or well used older ones.

Isn't a good used car always hard to find, especially a NSX? It took me 5 years to find mine. I wanted a yellow NSX and there are not too many yellow NSXs out there (in good conditiion). A red or silver NSX will be easier to find compare to yellow. Are you only looking in your local area or nationwide? Keep looking, and your dream car will be in your garage soon. Good luck. :smile:

Have you tried the usual online search sites: NSX Prime, AutoTrader, Cars.com, Craigslist........?

Red is easy to find. Silver is not. Only 458 were made 1991-1993 and less than that survive. There was one for sale in Colorado at a used car dealer with lower miles for a long time. It should be on autotrader if it is still around.

I think you can buy onw on this site...and modded cars are okay...as long as they are done tastefully!! I wanted a stock NSX until I saw my baby in stevo's garage...I was awe struck! The machine was lowered and had the phattest rims and wheels one could find...and more importantly - it had been taken care of and had all major servicing done on it...

Be patient...and you will be rewarded!

Dam:cool:

I think you can buy one on this site...and modded cars are okay...as long as they are done tastefully!! I wanted a stock NSX until I saw my baby in stevo's garage...I was awe struck! The machine was lowered and had the phattest rims and wheels one could find...and more importantly - it had been taken care of and had all major servicing done on it...

Be patient...and you will be rewarded!

Dam:cool:

I must have gotten lucky. I was only looking for a few days when I found an extremely well maintained, under 50k miles, one owner, '91 sebring silver....and it was just 40 miles from my house. :cool:

I'm trying to look close to home. Can't be flying all over the country but will travel if a car looks very promising. Red is my preferred color but I could live with silver. I guess I'm just hoping to find a car that some 50 year old doctor bought new and kept in his garage next to his Mercedes that he drove every day and rarely used the NSX but now wants to sell it for a realistic price. Guess I just need to keep my eyes open and not be in a hurry.

And my experience with the RX7 scares me when it comes to a car that has been modified. I don't want a car that will blow up after I buy it. Maybe this is not as big a concern with the NSX.

I'm trying to look close to home. Can't be flying all over the country but will travel if a car looks very promising. Red is my preferred color but I could live with silver. I guess I'm just hoping to find a car that some 50 year old doctor bought new and kept in his garage next to his Mercedes that he drove every day and rarely used the NSX but now wants to sell it for a realistic price. Guess I just need to keep my eyes open and not be in a hurry.

Red should be easy to find, but it is not realistic to expect not to have to travel for a good one. They are too rare to limit your search like that. My first NSX was 120 miles away. My second was 1100. Both were found on this site.

And my experience with the RX7 scares me when it comes to a car that has been modified. I don't want a car that will blow up after I buy it. Maybe this is not as big a concern with the NSX.

Nowhere near. The typical modifications are intake, exhaust, headers, wheels and maybe a bit of suspension. Many have done short gears and the 4.23 R&P. These should present no reason for concern.

I wouldn't worry too much about mods destroying this car like the RX-7 (unless it was boosted to 20lb on a stock engine ;) ).

I think the most important thing to look for in a 91 is documented maintenance (that was adhered to properly).

With low-mid 30's as a price limit, you should be fine for a 91-94 in excellent condition. What has been wrong with the others you've looked at in the price range? They won't be "new" but should be mechanically near-perfect and have great paint and interior. They do all get rock chips though - might want to just budget $1000 or so for a front end respray if you find an otherwise great one. Good luck! :smile:

With low-mid 30's as a price limit, you should be fine for a 91-94 in excellent condition. What has been wrong with the others you've looked at in the price range? They won't be "new" but should be mechanically near-perfect and have great paint and interior. They do all get rock chips though - might want to just budget $1000 or so for a front end respray if you find an otherwise great one. Good luck! :smile:

Just aren't that many out there and haven't had the right feeling about any that I've looked at. Hard to explain. There was one in the classifieds on this site in Hawaii that looked nice, but a long ways away.

I flew 1100 miles to get mine. Half the fun was driving the car back home. It made for an awesome adventure. You will wait for an aweful long time to find one you like that is local. Widen your search area and you will be rewarded.

Did the RX7 blow up after you bought it?

I looked for about 5 months on and off, found mine 35 miles from my house and got exactly what your looking for but its a 95 T red black, all stock. I just added HIDs, which in my opinion are more of an upgrade than a mod.

I hear you though, I would ONLY buy one that was perfect, NO PAINTWORK, garaged, adult driven and few owners and stock.....thats the best way to buy these cars....remember, the cars are 12-15 yrs old, to find one without ANY paintwork is going to be difficult.

I got damn lucky to stumble upon my white/black in near perfect condition a few years ago just miles from my home one weekend -- mostly all original/OEM parts, all new interior, full maintenance records, and more. I heard about it on Thursday, saw it Friday and took delivery Saturday morning. The owner was on this site for a while... not sure if he's still on here.

However I've wanted one since '91... but never really "looked" for one.

Just have to keep your eyes and ears open.

Mate I'm planning on travelling from Dubai, United Arab Emirates for my NSX once ready to purchase one. Think of it as an adventure of sorts...as long as you do the pre-checklist stuff with the seller and have the Acura dealership look over the car then make the trip if it checks out.

NSX's are very rare and especially in the color combination your looking for. It would be a shame you missed out on one that was two states over from you...basically you'd be opening the door for someone like me who's also looking. He he

Jetpilot

My suggestion is to look at every NSX that you can. I was pretty particular about what I wanted WRT color, mods, miles, year...

But the car I ended up buying and really jonesing on ended up being a color not on my preferences list. The right combo of wheels, mods, whatever just made the car "pop" for me, and now I'm glad I did not get my original "dream" NSX.

As stated previously, you will have to wait awhile for sebring silver. I looked 6+ months for mine. Red can look dated and faded if not properly cared for. On the other hand, Red can look fantastic if the owner(s) took care of the paint. I saw two red 91's at a show last week that looked fantastic. They only had 30K+ on the odometer, though. My Sebring has 117k, and is a daily driver:biggrin:

I have your car Formula red 95 NSXT. 58k miles no mods. Nicest one avail anywhere guranteed! 37k. I posted it last night on this site but I guss it takes a day or two to show up.

Thanks stu

phone 406 781 7318

Back