Why has WRC not caught on here???

This clip is absolutely insane! I can't understand why rallying has not caught on in the U.S. The cars are fast, it's dirty, the maneuvers are unbelievable and there are tons of wrecks! I would think this would be as big or bigger than Nascar. What's the deal? Can anyone explain this? :confused:

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/getitem/126/1/aab.wmv

Casper91 said:
Can you say Lawsuits?

Lawsuits over what? Can you be more specific? Are you talking about spectators being hit or land being ruined by being used as race tracks? Or...?

Other than Pikes Peak, I cant think of any location that would support a WRC race. Dirt roads, lots of turns with hills and valleys for hundreds of miles, thats why they race in the middle of nowhere most of the time. I love watching Rallying on Speed Channel.

I love watching it too. The minimal amount we get to watch anyway. I think there are tons of places out west here. I can think of several just in Utah alone. Then there would be Nevada, Oregon, Colorado. There's tons of places. But now that I think about it, most of the open space that's left is protected by some form or another.

White92 said:
Lawsuits over what? Can you be more specific? Are you talking about spectators being hit or land being ruined by being used as race tracks? Or...?

All of the above.

I don’t have any specific documentation to back up my claims.
But we in the U.S. live in a day and age of frivolous lawsuits.
i.e. Person buys a coffee “to go” at McDonalds. Spills it on himself while driving. Sues Mc Donalds for serving coffee that is too hot.

Man tries to break into an elderly woman’s house. Falls through the roof, lands on a knife, injuring himself. Sues the homeowner.

Lady drives home drunk, hits a telephone pole. Sues the phone company for putting a pole where she could hit it, and the bar for serving her too many drinks.

Man sues car company because he couldn’t stop faster with his ABS Brakes.

There are countless cases of this kind of stuff.
Why do you think we have so many stupid warning labels on our products?
This topic could be a whole new thread.

I would love to see Rally racing out here - But the insurance liability wouldn’t make generating a profit worth while. IMO.

Yes, but this is racing. How could someone sue? Zanardi didn't sue the other driver for taking his legs did he? I know they are valid points, but I'm having a hard time understanding. Or maybe I just don't want to understand since I want rallying to come here so bad. :smile:

I guess if you could find enough private land, with an owner willing to take the risks of stupid lawsuits.

Understand the risk is not in the drivers, the cars, or the actual racing itself.
It's the spectator who wants to get a closer look - gets injured or killed for being stupid, then sues.

Again - just my opinion.

I understand where you're coming from. They would surely have to change the rules for the U.S. They wouldn't be able to allow spectators right on the track. Which is where the attorneys come in I guess. They would say that the entire course had to be lined on both sides with reinforced concrete dividers and chain link fences, etc..... blah blah blah. There go the costs out the window. It's so frustrating to see something so cool and not be able to host it here where we could watch it in person.

Interesting question. While I agree that environmental/land use issues might be a concern is some areas, I will take another approach on this, primarily from a marekting stand point. I am going to speculate - big time :tongue:

I think it has more to do with Americans' car culture. Most of the car crazy buffs in their late 40s to 50s+ grew up on muscle cars, thus the affinity towards HP. The newer/younger generation are more into the import scene with aftermarket show but no go, and even their interest in speed seems to be in drag racing or drifting. My guess is this is due to American manufacturer’s failure to anticipate and capture this youth market with desirable and affordable products - not to mention reliable and prone to aftermarket upgrades. It seems Ford and GM have been more interested in saturating the NASCAR fans than penetrating the aftermarket/drifting scene - and I would venture because they don't have the products to compete.

I may be wrong but SEMA's and NOPI's successes are not for "racing" products but mostly for "looking cool" products. So manufacturers and sponsors will gravitate to such more profitable endeavors.

If Honda, Toyata, GM, Ford are not involved in marketing/promoting such a racing effort, it is doubtful that the other smaller manufacturers can capture sufficient audience to generate the revenues/profits to underwrite and promote such a series, this especially when there is no prior history or provenance.

Besides the occasional interest in F1 - and my guess is primarily due to strong following of Ferrari enthusiasts in the US, the only other car racing event that has captured sufficient interest is the Indy 500 - which it too has lost some of its allure after the IRL/CART fiasco and engine limitations. And have you noticed how IRL became viable only after running in circles, just like NASCAR - though they are now contemplating some road circuits to compete with what was CART?

One cannot but notice and admire NASCAR's marketing strategy. Major corporations will not compete on who can pour more sponsorship dollars unless they see returns on their investment, and NASCAR fans have proven themselves to be very loyal.

With all the road circuits in the US, even the interest/coverage of road circuit races seems to be limited to a much smaller audience - comparatively speaking. Unfortunately the manufacturers have not pushed the marketing of such events as they do in Europe. Perhaps they see this as a venue for girlie men ...... LOL! Besides the coverage by Speed of the American LeMans, and the GT/Touring races (the latter with its continued encouragement of fender banging knock your competitor out to win at all cost - ie, emulating the successes of how stock car races became popular) there is little coverage of US road circuits. We are starting to see some Formula Mazda open wheels but the audience is very limted. Speed does not air the GT/Touring races live. And occasionally we get some coverage from Australian V8 or some European venture with Mercedes series.

My point is road circuit events do not seem to be that popular amongst sponsors/manufacturer; and where the latter go so will the TV producers. So chances of sponsoring and promoting WRC would be even less IMHO.

While occasionally we get a glimpse of rallying in the US, it has much stronger following in Europe because of the history of pitting rivaling European manufacturers at different venues (countries), and then remember the Paris to Dakar races ......... Remember the days of the Saab, Mini Cooper S, Lancia HF, Porsche 911, Volvo, Sunbeam, Skodas, Opel, BMW 2002, Fiat 850/126, ........... those were for the most part recognizable off the show room sports cars that people could relate to - though prepped up for rallying. While rallying has changed over the years, such cars had no following in the US where open highways and straight line 1/4 mile speeds were the bragging rights. It is only in recent years that handling and testing on road course tracks are becoming the vogue among car enthusiasts and even then HP is predominantly the key emphasis after all is said and done. Just look how many of us on NSXprime wish Honda could bump the HP to 350 -400 instead of learning how to drive the car to its full competitive potential ;)

My first sports car was the Morris Cooper 1275 GT ........... and yes, like any teenager, I whizzed around city traffic and drove as if I was driving in a rally; and I pulled the hand brake at every opportunity I got when I had to make a left hand or right had turn :biggrin: ............ the rest is history.

Just my $02, YMMV.

I knew there was some going on here, but also had no idea there was that much. I will have to check that out and keep track of it. I just think this is so cool and don't understand why it isn't religiously followed by Nascar-like fans. It's got everything they would love in a race. They can drag their beer coolers right up to the side of the track and camp out in their lawnchairs and go nuts when there is a crash. :smile:

If you like the video that started this thread get yourself a copy of "The World's Greatest Rally Cars" or "Evolution of Rallying" (both DVDs) or some of the old "Havoc" videos particularly anything from the period of the "Killer B's" circa 1984-1986.

Edit: forgot to mention that there are DVDs for season wrapups - for example "WRC Showdown 2003" and TV rips of individual rallies.

well stay tuned to your tv this week. although not teh same, desert racing is probably the closest sport you're going to find in the u.s.
The baja 1000 is actually going to be covered on nbc this week, and Dust to Glory, a film by dana brown (step into liquid, son of bob Brown from On Any Sunday) will be out early next year.
Its similar to Rally, but with generally more trecherous terrain.
check it out

well stay tuned to your tv this week. although not the same, desert racing is probably the closest sport you're going to find in the u.s.
The baja 1000 is actually going to be covered on nbc this week, and Dust to Glory, a film by dana brown (step into liquid, son of bob Brown from On Any Sunday) will be out early next year.
Its similar to Rally, but with generally more trecherous terrain.
check it out

Back