Why does the 350Z sound so good??

Everytime I hear one, I nearly stop dead in my tracks. The 350Z and G35's are the best sounding cars on the road IMO. Anyone else swoon over that glorious exhaust note? I don't know what Nissan is doing but they sure have cleaned up shop and made some fantastic vehicles.
Today, I found myself waiting for a Z's owner to get his Chinese carry out in order to listen to him drive off. And yes, the 3 minutes I waited was well worth it. The exhaust has a Ferrari-esque tonal quality to it that makes me grin like an idiot. Ahhh....
Anyone else feel that way?? Come on, don't be shy...

Conor

I have to admit hearing the 350 take off from outside was sweet.... However, when driving it, it sounded like a truck...

ctnsupra1 said:
NetViper-

There you go ruining my dreams of the greatest sounding car ever....shesh

I didn't ruin it. You just have to follow one in a NSX and you can still enjoy it :)

I don't know.....I prefer our cars WITH an aftermarket exhaust. Not a cheasy, fart can type, but a low-bass, High quaality, ferrari sounding one.

Everytime I hear a 350 or g35 (or FX) chewbaca comes to my mind. Next time your listening to one, think about the sound chewbaca makes. Your image of the Nissan will never be the same:D

Spinner said:
I don't know.....I prefer our cars WITH an aftermarket exhaust. Not a cheasy, fart can type, but a low-bass, High quaality, ferrari sounding one.

Everytime I hear a 350 or g35 (or FX) chewbaca comes to my mind. Next time your listening to one, think about the sound chewbaca makes. Your image of the Nissan will never be the same:D

lol, wow, now that i think of it, u're absolutely right. I'm gonna think of chewy everytime i hear a nissan from now on. I was never a fan of the nissan 3.5 sound. It's very distinct but it doesn't sound like a sports car. It's a half ass attempt at it cuz they didn't want to alienate part of the market by making it too loud, but they still wanted it to sound like a sports car. Maybe it would grow on you. I've heard some 350Zs with aftermarket exhausts. They sound pretty good. More of a racey sound, but still very raspy. Then again my NSX with Taitec Competition exhaust sounds pretty raspy. Maybe i should look into a GT Lightweight.

Spinner said:

what's a chewbaca:confused:

I didn't find it in Merriam-Webster

dawggpie said:
lol, wow, now that i think of it, u're absolutely right. I'm gonna think of chewy everytime i hear a nissan from now on. I was never a fan of the nissan 3.5 sound. It's very distinct but it doesn't sound like a sports car. It's a half ass attempt at it cuz they didn't want to alienate part of the market by making it too loud, but they still wanted it to sound like a sports car. Maybe it would grow on you. I've heard some 350Zs with aftermarket exhausts. They sound pretty good. More of a racey sound, but still very raspy. Then again my NSX with Taitec Competition exhaust sounds pretty raspy. Maybe i should look into a GT Lightweight.

I don't hate the sound, it just sounds "synthetic". Almost like it was "faked" or forced....kinda hard to explain...but your right about it being very distinct. When I have my back turned to the parking structure or street, I can easily recocnize the Nissan family with my ears.:cool:

Anyone know whether the v8 Fx also sounds like this?

ctnsupra1 said:
The exhaust has a Ferrari-esque tonal quality to it that makes me grin like an idiot. Ahhh....

Have you ever been to the track, close your eyes, and decide which car you want to take home based on the sound it makes? Let me tell ya, I did, and it's always a FERRARI and not a NISMO. :cool:

getting back to the 350z exhaust...
it's made by CALSONIC. JDM racing buffs have prolly seen their stickers everywhere (skylines especially). They spend a lot of time tuning their stuff. this has been deep thoughts with me.

NSXmadness said:
Sure, they sound good. Incidentally, FX35 sounds exactly the same IMO.:p I wonder why...:rolleyes:

Yep....my FX does sound just like the 350s do. Apparently, Nissan/Infiniti did a lot of work engineering their exhausts to create a sweet sound (at least that's what I read when I was researching buying one.)

I like my NSX's exhaust note better, especially when in the 6-8k range. :p

Chuck

Spinner said:
Anyone know whether the v8 Fx also sounds like this?

Nope. They sound lower-pitched and have a lot less whine. Think of a louder Q45 sound. Hmm now I wonder why it would sound like a Q45 :rolleyes: hmmm :D

Back