Why do engines have a distributor?

I would think that, because of the cranksensor, the ECU would exactly know where the pistons are and when to trigger and, via a high voltage coil, send a HV spike to each individual sparkplug?
So what's the point of having a distributor (sp?)?

Sorry for the basic question...

There is no point (or points ;) ). Most modern cars don't have distributors. Just a crank position/angle sensor does it.

Your logic is correct.

-Jim

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, if that logic is correct then why does my Accord's H22 engine have a distributor? I'm pretty sure the engine has a cranksensor as well.

I'm confused.

The H22 began life in 1993 I believe. It's an older engine design that still used a distributor. The sensors merely augmented the distributor. Think of these older 1st generation as hybrid systems that used crank position sensors and distributors.

It's only been in the last few years that auto manufacturers have made the jump completely away from distributors. There are some engines still lagging however.

I'm not sure why it took so long. Perhaps they were waiting for the price to drop on other controls, or they were waiting on more experience/reliability.

It's been a transition and we're just now getting through that period.

-Jim

The H22 didn't get a crank angle sensor until 1996 when it Honda switched to OBDII. So if you have an OBDII H22 in your Accord your absolutely correct that is has both. They also have a cam angle sensor in the distrubtor itself. Distrubtors are out dated like jimbo said which is Honda gave the NSX coil-on-plug in 1990 :D

Thanks guys, now I understand...

Back