Who had Driven a Lotus Espirit?

I tried to drive one, but couldn't. The cockpit was so uncomfortable (especially in the footwell) I didn't feel I could pilot the car competently.

-Bob

I owned a Lotus Esprit for about 6 months and sold it because I was already tired with it. It was a '92 and was ungodley fast when the turbo spooled up. But it was uncomfortable, hot, slow on hot days, hard to see out of, put together cheaply, the front end scraped everywhere because of the length between the nose and the front wheels.....etc...etc.

Not even close to the NSX that I've now owned for over 4 years.

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 02 July 2002).]

I own and have nothing but praise for the car. Great to drive on the twisties and power that snaps your neck. Mine is a99 which is worlds apart from the 92. If you are located anywhere NYC I'll be more than glad to show you the car. To sum it up it is the closest thing to a race car that I have ever driven.

Years ago (maybe 12?) I test drove a Lotus Esprit. I realize they may have been improved over the years so keep in mind my comments are only valid for the earlier cars.

I was very disapointed.

It was fast and handled very well, but it was a royal pain to drive. The quality was sub-standard...well below the Corvette of the day, and that's not saying much.

If I had any James Bond fantasies lurking in the back of my mind before I drove the car, they were soon gone after the first few blocks of my test drive.

I remember that my Esprit experience was one thing that made me particularly excited about the news that Honda would be coming out with the NSX.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I drove one three years ago while shopping for a sportcar. Since I was looking for one that was a daily driver too the Esprit was out of the candidates even before driving... it was a '93 or '94. Quite fast, unconfortable and reasonably beautiful. Build quality and interior were not at the level I was looking for.

I also tested the 993-carrera/2, the F348 berlinetta and a Honda... Guess what did I choose?

biggrin.gif

Back