Whine noise at highway speed

In my search for my first NSX I drove a 93 with 68K miles on Saturday. One thing I noticed that I hadn't in the previous couple I had driven was seemed to be a high pitch whine (and no there was no SC installed!) which was noticable at highway speed. It wasn't tire noise and continued with the clutch depressed. Like I said I hadn't noticed this in the other two I had driven.

Is this normal?

Keith

No don't be sorry, it'll just be more easier for us to help you with your problem. By the way is the 60K maintenance (timing belt, water pump, compressor belt etc...) done yet?

Maintenance was up to date with the TB and WP done less than 10k miles ago. The tires look to be fairly new Toyo's... forgot to check the model. I'll definitely be on the listen with the next prospect to see if it is drastically different.

Keith

Oh and I forgot to mention... the owner said he got it to 180 only one time but hadn't done any track events. When I said that seemed to be a bit high, he said no it was still climbing and would probably reach 200! Wow, I can't believe I didn't buy that one on the spot cause it obviously is one sweet 3.0!

Keith

smithk3933 said:
In my search for my first NSX I drove a 93 with 68K miles on Saturday. One thing I noticed that I hadn't in the previous couple I had driven was seemed to be a high pitch whine (and no there was no SC installed!) which was noticable at highway speed. It wasn't tire noise and continued with the clutch depressed. Like I said I hadn't noticed this in the other two I had driven.

Is this normal?

Keith

Define Highway speed...............

Was girlfriend/wife sitting next to you? If so , remove wife/girlfriend and try again.

Armando

ak said:
Did the car happen to have the 4.55 final? That would make gear whine.

Sorry to hijack the thred but is that what gives a car that F1 sound? I love that sound if its what I think it is. If so whats the peformance gain and whats the cost of have performance gears installed if there is one sound that puts a grin on my face its the whining sound of a formula One engine/transmission, love the intake sound too, exaust is nice too, but common. When I drive a real tuned race car like my friends p-car 89 supercharged 911 thats the one sound that plasters ear-to-ear grin till the car stops. Where can I read more abut that. I asked people that build cars this question before and usually say the transmission but I was under the impresssion that more extreme modification such as a full race set-up would be needed for this sound to be noticeable. Most people find it sounds like radio interference but to me its not just a sound it actually sends an unexplainable audiable signal to my brain. Its kinda the audiable diffrence between a lightly modded car and a full blown race car. I have heard many people say it is commonly mistaken as radio interference. But personally It just makes me really feel like im driving a F1 car or something.
Does anyone else get that or am I alone here?

But as far as my imput on the topic. The gears wouldent make that sound if the clucth is pressed down would it? I think the gear whining It is only audible under acceleration. Am I right?
Patricio

Ask the previous owner if he has installed a new gearbox ratio, 3:53 or something.. sometimes if you install one incorrectly the teeth aren't totally bonded and you will hear a high pitched whine..

smithk3933 said:
Oh and I forgot to mention... the owner said he got it to 180 only one time but hadn't done any track events. When I said that seemed to be a bit high, he said no it was still climbing and would probably reach 200! Wow, I can't believe I didn't buy that one on the spot cause it obviously is one sweet 3.0!

Keith

i was taching the meter and it was still climbing..

anyways.. you should check the tires..

Zenky said:
By the way is the 60K maintenance (timing belt, water pump, compressor belt etc...) done yet?
The timing belt is specified for 90K miles (or 6 years, whichever comes first), not 60K. The water pump isn't specified for replacement at any particular interval but is normally done at the same time as the timing belt. The compressor belt isn't specified as part of any maintenance interval either.

nsxtasy said:
The timing belt is specified for 90K miles (or 6 years, whichever comes first), not 60K. The water pump isn't specified for replacement at any particular interval but is normally done at the same time as the timing belt. The compressor belt isn't specified as part of any maintenance interval either.

Is this coming from the manual again dude? :) jk
I'll be surprised if someone really would follow a 90K (6yrs) to change the most important maintenance for any car especially if your NSX is your DD. Do you follow this?

If I own an NSX sometimes in the future, manual can kiss my butt and I will change it @ 60K (most recomended one) especially for this kind of vehicle.

MiamieNeSeX said:
Define Highway speed...............

Was girlfriend/wife sitting next to you? If so , remove wife/girlfriend and try again.

Armando

Puahahahahaaaa!!!!! :biggrin:

Did that solve your problem? :wink:

Zenky said:
Is this coming from the manual again dude? :) jk
I'll be surprised if someone really would follow a 90K (6yrs) to change the most important maintenance for any car especially if your NSX is your DD. Do you follow this?

If I own an NSX sometimes in the future, manual can kiss my butt and I will change it @ 60K (most recomended one) especially for this kind of vehicle.

Since a lot of these cars have low miles, most people defer to the time requirement of 6 years. Its 6 years or 90K which ever comes first, my car doesnt' have 90K but has been through two timing belts. I wonder who has the most timing belt changes on their car, I know one owner has over 300K miles so in theory he should of changed it at least three times by mileage. Also I believe honda bumped the mileage up to 100 or 105K miles

I have a whining noise coming from my car too, but it's not high pitched..... it's weird. It's like a low drone noise that fades in and out, and fades in /out faster as you go faster. Also, when you turn right, it fades in/out waay faster, and when you turn left it goes away.

Anybody know what this is? When I bought the car I took it to a different dealership and they said that there was no bearing noise, and that they wouldn't worry about it. My only real concern is that it changes when you turn..... I didn't notice that at first.

Any advice?

Back