Which wax?

I want a good wax that's not hard to apply/rub off. No 7-step products; I want to get this done in an hour or less.

Please put on your flame suit. I asked a question like that years ago when I first joined Prime and they murdered me. It's going to be the old, "Which is better Zaino or Zymol?":eek:

Please get ready for the "Do a search!" Everyone is going to have an opinon and they will all be different.

Good luck.:biggrin:

If you want an easy over the counter that is easy to put on, easy to take off with very little residue then try Eagle One Nano Wax.

You can also try Klasse All in One product. It is a polish and wax all in one.

With these two products, you will not break your elbow waxing on and waxing off.

I hope this helps.

we have about 20 different waxes and havent tried all of them yet but so far we like wolfgan fuzion, collinite 845 and 915(both very durable with good looks), meguiars mirror glaze #16. tried pinnacle souveran wax and for some reason hard to remove with thick MF towel.
lusso oro is supereasy to apply and remove, doesnt stain plastic if you get some on it, looks good on metallic grey STI

if you looking for sub $50 wax id say either 915, 845 lusso oro or megs #16 would be my choise

zymol royale is great as well but you have to apply it by hands which took me about 2 hours and left some scratches on soft STI paint, but now i found out that you can use latex gloves to do that so have to try it again, oh forgot to mention, this wax costs a LOT
http://www.zymol.com/zymolroyaleglaze44oz.aspx

There's no right answer, if applied correctly every wax I have used was removed easily with the exception of Supernatural by Dodo Juice. I have probably used 100 or so boutique waxes and the only variables are the oil and solvent content vs. amount of actual wax.

Many waxes can be applied by bare palm if you wish, your palms and your body heat act as a catilyst in aiding the spread of the thinly laid product.
The important thing is to apply very thin, if you can see it clearly, you are probably using too much. To make sure you are still applying, wipe your applicator across the window and see if your product streaks behind the swipe, if so you are still primed, and still applying.

Apply in straight motions and knock down the high spots, after you do so, it will be much more a fluent unit, and much easier to remove.

Pinnacle soveran is probably one of the easiest waxes to use ime, small dab of product on an applicator pad, work in till it almost liquifies, spread well, wipe off, pretty simple. Although I assume you can encounter issues with all sorts of different towels.

"Wet Paint Glaze" is the end-all...

I want a good wax that's not hard to apply/rub off. No 7-step products; I want to get this done in an hour or less.
Look no further than this: http://www.wetpaintglaze.com

It acts like a paint cleaner (cleans clear-coat), paint wax/sealant (for shine/protection), and glaze (filler for optimal reflection). Most detailers I know swear by it for those who don't want to deal w/ paint-correction/polishing/etc'. It yields more-or-less the same results.

Otherwise, as aforementioned by Oakes, Collinite stuff is wax-sealant that lasts for a long, long time while offering great protection & shine (~6 months!!!). They are the way to go if the surface is already well maintained.

Reference:

Collinite cross-lists their vehicle & marine application products (for targeting specific markets).

"476-S Super Doublecoat Wax" = "885 Heavy-Duty Fleetwax" (reference) [not "870 Fleet Wax"]

"845 Insulator Wax" = "925 Fiberglass Boat Wax" (reference)

Sometimes, you can score a better price or larger container per-dollar by acquiring the cross-listed offering. . .

Moarrr:

What is the difference between the 845 and the 476s?

The 845 and 476s are made with the same ingredients, but the 476s lasts longer due to the fact that it has a higher concentration of natural and synthetic waxes. This is why the 476s is tougher to work with. The 845 has been Collinite’s overall best seller for 20 years due to the fact that it has excellent durability combined with an ease of use.

http://www.collinite.com/faqs.htm#5

www.collinite.com is a great site. Ebay & local-area boat/marine shops are also a good place to get their products. Even some Harbor Freight stores have 'em, and cheap (~$10 or less). . .

I stopped using wax and started using sealer instead. Lasts for months and months and months even when constantly exposed to weather. I just don't get the depth that wax gives.

Re: "Wet Paint Glaze" is the end-all...

this is Mikhael.

i have seen 2 identical cars to know difference between just sealed and sealed with wax and have to say that wax does add good amount of protection, not as long as sealant but water beads better on waxed car then one thats just sealed. on just sealed car water just beads and sits there, on one that was waxed water just beaded and ran off. its personal choise to use or not to use wax.

Most detailers I know swear by it(wetpaintglaze) for those who don't want to deal w/ paint-correction/polishing/etc'. It yields more-or-less the same results.

i did had and use wetpaint and it worked pretty good. not sure about filling effects of it but it did look good on my black car

unfortunately we have seen and fixed some of so called "detailers" work

i dont know how those "detailers" can call themself that. Detailer is somebody who doesnt do paint correction/polishing.... hmm interesting contradiction imo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detailing

it maybe yields same result till its washed.

those so called "detailers" give real detailers bad name

Last edited:
Most synthetic Sealants will sheet water as opposed to beading, freshly polished paint with not protection beads just as well as a paint system with as many coats of wax as you can apply.

Freshly painted cars the same, beading is overrated, a gimmick started by a marketing company years ago, fooling the diy'er and paid detailer alike.

Carl-

I am extremely busy too and have little time for 7-step crazy wax treatments. I've found a combo of the JetSeal 109 sealant and Pete's 50/50 Concours (available from Chemicalguys) wax works great and is easy to apply. It lasts for a couple months and then I just put another coat of 50/50 on around July which gets me to the end of the season.

Instead of what is better and so forth, why not experience a 1000 words?

I've used just about every consumer wax/polish know to man for the decades that I have been washing and waxing/polishing EVERY week.

Then my friend, that sold me the NSX for dirt cheap told me about Zaino. I've never looked back since.

I used the following Zaino Z2, Z6 or Grand finale spray and look at the results:

74bf0d13ac3291.jpg

concorso.jpg

batman12.JPG

30140_1346588823129_1183536825_30874628_1618769_n.jpg

Why do you guys show off your cars with these "sealers" and other wax/polish brands?

Every time I go to either a NSX or GTO car meet, people remark how god dam shiny my paint looks. It really makes some of the other cars look beat to hell.

Yes, until I recently cleared out the garage storage stuff, my NSX has been parked outside in the rain, sun, tree sap, bird droppings arena for over a year.

It looks better than a lot of other black and even other color cars that were using other brands and were parked in the garage, away from the elements.

I've had black cars since the mid '90's and that gave me the best means to evaluate what is good wax/polish and what is sub-standard.

Last edited:
Why do you guys show off your cars with these "sealers" and other wax/polish brands?

Every time I go to either a NSX or GTO car meet, people remark how god dam shiny my paint looks. It really makes some of the other cars look beat to hell.

Shine is one thing. Depth and clarity is another. Depends on what's more important to the car owner.

Without going into a Zaino vs. Zymol discussion and getting back to the OP's question - You want easy to use w/ a good balance of shine and depth? Use Detailing Dynamics products. Priced reasonably and a little goes a long way. Been using their products for years on the NSX. You'll love their detailing spray - Liquid Gloss - on the paint after you've waxed.

Shine is one thing. Depth and clarity is another. Depends on what's more important to the car owner....

Zaino has all that covered.

Let's see some cars, or is my 100k miles-not-parked-in-the-garage paint the undefeated champion?

Picture042.jpg

vette930ogr.jpg

retirevette.jpg

Last edited:
Re: "Wet Paint Glaze" is the end-all...

Look no further than this: http://www.wetpaintglaze.com

It acts like a paint cleaner (cleans clear-coat), paint wax/sealant (for shine/protection), and glaze (filler for optimal reflection). Most detailers I know swear by it for those who don't want to deal w/ paint-correction/polishing/etc'. It yields more-or-less the same results.

Otherwise, as aforementioned by Oakes, Collinite stuff is wax-sealant that lasts for a long, long time while offering great protection & shine (~6 months!!!). They are the way to go if the surface is already well maintained.

Reference:

I think this is the Zaino answer to that:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-CS

z-cs.png

I use and have used Zaino for years now. However, the one problem I have with Zaino is that the type of gloss it has is more glassy and reflective than deep and rich. It's like someone poured a coat of urethane on your car and it is still wet. In my opinion this glassy-like finish does not look good on black. It makes the paint look too reflective and you don't get to see the depth of the black. I've seen a side by side comparison of different waxes on black cars and I'm not a fan of how reflective Zaino looks. It looks great on just about any other color but black.

However, I still use Zaino. Mostly because it is just so easy to apply and remove. So for pure laziness, and strictly laziness alone, I still use Zaino.

i really like the collinite 845 insulator wax for a nice protective shine.it's fairly easy, and in between times i use it i use optimum spray wax or qd,which are very easy to use and have a surprisingly nice shine.

i really like the collinite 845 insulator wax for a nice protective shine.it's fairly easy, and in between times i use it i use optimum spray wax or qd,which are very easy to use and have a surprisingly nice shine.

Very durable nice looking combination there. OCW is probably the longest lasting, best looking nuba in a bottle. 845 is most likely the most durable liquid wax as well.

When I first discovered 845 about ten years ago I fell in love, since then I've been through a few bottles of it, and it's always a solid go to for mine, or a clients car.

Per OP post, "I want a good wax that's not hard to apply/rub off. No 7-step products; I want to get this done in an hour or less."

I think Zaino AiO...and Z-8!

but, Zaino CS is pretty amazing...

I just went and Zaino'd my NSX for the first time. I used Zaino in 2002 on my Audi TT and never really had time and effort to do it to my S2000.

I took the time this weekend on the NSX

Dawn, Clay, Wash, Z-5, Z-6, Z-5, Z-6, Z-2, Z-8...

My back is killing me, oh yeah and about $100 on cotton bath towels!

Per OP post, "I want a good wax that's not hard to apply/rub off. No 7-step products; I want to get this done in an hour or less."

I think Zaino AiO...and Z-8!

but, Zaino CS is pretty amazing...

I just went and Zaino'd my NSX for the first time. I used Zaino in 2002 on my Audi TT and never really had time and effort to do it to my S2000.

I took the time this weekend on the NSX

Dawn, Clay, Wash, Z-5, Z-6, Z-5, Z-6, Z-2, Z-8...

My back is killing me, oh yeah and about $100 on cotton bath towels!

I used ZP-C to buff out the swirl marks so I dun need Z5.

And the cotton towels is probably where u are getting ur swirl marks.

Right now the best towel is Bamboo fibers. Doesn't scratch like cotton and microfiber when it looses it's polymide for the new soft feeling....

core requirements...

I believe black vehicles, in particular Berlina black NSX'es, do really well w/ layering of a synthetic/polymer sealant (Zaino, NXT 2.0, Deep Gloss, etc') which give reflection/wetness/shine to be then topped off w/ a natural-wax (ie. Zymol, Meguiars Gold Class, Collinite, etc') which give depth/richness/darque'ness. Literally best of both worlds. . .

I'm fan of the SwissVax range, but it's a bit pricey relatively speaking. I also like Chemical Guys stuff. But, otherwise I'm totally content w/ the Meguiars range of both the over-the-counter ubiquitous stuff & the more specialized pro' detailer stuff. Admittedly, I'm not a pro' detailer, nor do I attempt to be. I leave the trade/craft to those who are a lot more well versed, experienced, and proficient in such. But, I'm a fairly hand's on individual & take a systematic/scientific approach to things.

i did had and use wetpaint and it worked pretty good. not sure about filling effects of it but it did look good on my black car...
From what I've been told by those more well-versed/experienced than me is that WetPaint has fillers & works as a glaze to some effect (along w/ paint-cleaning & sealing).

Oakes said:
unfortunately we have seen and fixed some of so called "detailers" work

i dont know how those "detailers" can call themself that. Detailer is somebody who doesnt do paint correction/polishing.... hmm interesting contradiction imo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detailing
Oakes said:
those so called "detailers" give real detailers bad name
Well w/o getting into semantics of what a quote/unquote detailer is or may be, you've read too much (or too little) into what I stated which was that a few automotive detailers that I've come across, whether professional/entrepreneurial or hobbyists/amateur (yes, I've seen latter trump the former & vice-versa as to be expected), suggested WetPaint for those who don't want to do paint-correction, polishing, or even layering waxes/sealants - just as the O.P. stated "I want a good wax that's not hard to apply/rub off. No 7-step products; I want to get this done in an hour or less."

It wasn't stated that these detailers themselves do WetPaint on their own vehicles or client's vehicles to save time/effort/materiel` & avoid the laborious protocol of paint-correction. WetPaint is like a makeup product to cover a blemish on the face for the time being while still cleaning/protecting/presenting. And it does a damn good job of it. In essence, a very effective shortcut. Also, if the overall paint condition is fine/presentable as-is, then a simple wax/sealant shall suffice for those who don't wish to spend extra time/effort/materiel`.

Oakes said:
it maybe yields same result till its washed.
It (WetPaint) looks like a vehicle that was cleaned w/ car-wash soap, applied w/ a paint-cleaner product, followed by a waxing/sealing, and topped off w/ a glaze. Nothing more, nothing less. As far as durability/longevity, I'd say it's about avg' (on par w/ most economical over-the-counter products, which isn't bad IMO).

Last edited:
Re: core requirements...

I have been anal retentive on all of my car finishes for the past 30 years! I have owned five Corvettes, two NSX's, two Hummers, and a variety of other cars.

I have used every product there is. While Zaino looked great on my C6 Corvettes, it does not protect against things like tree sap. I don't care what anyone else says, I have first hand experience on one of my C6s, freshly layered with Zaino Z-1, Z-5, Z-2, Z-CS, and tree sap stuck all over it. I will never go back to Zaino!

I had a similar experience with Klasse AIO and Zaino AIO. Looks great, easy to apply, zero protection against the elements.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. It gets over 120 degrees here and is dusty/sandy 365 days a year. Without so much as one single doubt, the most durable product I have ever used is "Finish First." It is a cleaner, AIO product, that leaves an incredibly glossy finish. It is super easy to put on and take off, has very little dried left over residue, and will easily lasy six months in the Phoenix heat! Best part is it only costs about $25 per can which will cover 10 cars or so and can be bought on E-bay or from the distributor.

I have absolutely no affiliation with Finish First. I have used it on and off for the past 15 years. Everytime I try the "latest and greatest new thing," I go back to Finish First.

Trust me folks...this is the best thing for cars parked outside in the heat and elements! Nothing else has come close!

I believe black vehicles, in particular Berlina black NSX'es, do really well w/ layering of a synthetic/polymer sealant (Zaino, NXT 2.0, Deep Gloss, etc') which give reflection/wetness/shine to be then topped off w/ a natural-wax (ie. Zymol, Meguiars Gold Class, Collinite, etc') which give depth/richness/darque'ness. Literally best of both worlds. . .

I'm fan of the SwissVax range, but it's a bit pricey relatively speaking. I also like Chemical Guys stuff. But, otherwise I'm totally content w/ the Meguiars range of both the over-the-counter ubiquitous stuff & the more specialized pro' detailer stuff. Admittedly, I'm not a pro' detailer, nor do I attempt to be. I leave the trade/craft to those who are a lot more well versed, experienced, and proficient in such. But, I'm a fairly hand's on individual & take a systematic/scientific approach to things.

From what I've been told by those more well-versed/experienced than me is that WetPaint has fillers & works as a glaze to some effect (along w/ paint-cleaning & sealing).

Well w/o getting into semantics of what a quote/unquote detailer is or may be, you've read too much (or too little) into what I stated which was that a few automotive detailers that I've come across, whether professional/entrepreneurial or hobbyists/amateur (yes, I've seen latter trump the former & vice-versa as to be expected), suggested WetPaint for those who don't want to do paint-correction, polishing, or even layering waxes/sealants - just as the O.P. stated "I want a good wax that's not hard to apply/rub off. No 7-step products; I want to get this done in an hour or less."

It wasn't stated that these detailers themselves do WetPaint on their own vehicles or client's vehicles to save time/effort/materiel` & avoid the laborious protocol of paint-correction. WetPaint is like a makeup product to cover a blemish on the face for the time being while still cleaning/protecting/presenting. And it does a damn good job of it. In essence, a very effective shortcut. Also, if the overall paint condition is fine/presentable as-is, then a simple wax/sealant shall suffice for those who don't wish to spend extra time/effort/materiel`.

It (WetPaint) looks like a vehicle that was cleaned w/ car-wash soap, applied w/ a paint-cleaner product, followed by a waxing/sealing, and topped off w/ a glaze. Nothing more, nothing less. As far as durability/longevity, I'd say it's about avg' (on par w/ most economical over-the-counter products, which isn't bad IMO).

I've been using Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax. I haven't had any issues applying and removing it and it gives my car a great shine. I receive complements on how shiny the car is...

I haven't tried any of the Zaino products, but may have to after seeing Batman's results and post praising the product, as well as other NSXprimer's.

Back