Which one, 1997 vs 2001

After having 3.0 for several years, it's time for me to "upgrade" to 3.2. I want to stay within the pre-facelift model (1997-2001).

From autotrader and cars.com, I found two

1997 16k miles for $50k (black).
2001 33k miles for $51k (silverstone).

Neither of them had t-belt/water pump done.

Which one would you get?? Are they priced fairly?

Or do you have any other leads?? I do not want to spend more than $50k.

I would get the 1997 because it has lower milege but I think its price to high because the owner didnt do the timebelt/waterpump and all the service that needs to be up to date. I think $43-47K is fair. I recently helped out a prime member a few months ago and he got a 97 red with only 22k miles for only $43K!!! For $51K,you can almost get an 02.

The dealer with 1997 said that he is quite firm with the price.
What should I do? I do think that it's high.. How should I negotiate this deal?

I'm the guy my1stnsx helped (I thank him every time I drive the NSX). I bought a very nice 97 with 23K miles for $43K. That 97 sounds a bit high to me.

I think the mileage difference is meaningless. At those prices I'd buy the 01 just because for $1K more I'd buy a 4 yr. younger car. I assume the condition is equal.

Since both have deferred TB/WP maintenance they are equal there. Other things to consider are tire condition. I do like the perf'd leather of the newer cars.

Changes for 2000
  • Seats, door insets, and steering wheel get perforated leather (not perforated suede like the Zanardi edition)
  • Improved anti-lock brake system (ABS) (computer software change)
  • Improved manual transmission shifting
  • Acura "A" logo marks on wheel centers
  • Added onboard fueling vapor recovery system
  • Engine now meets Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standard
  • No scheduled tuneups for 100,000 miles

I also faced the same choice and took the 2000. My bank would only do 36 month loan on the 97, but would do 50m on the 2000.

Unless the 97 is a coupe, I see little to no reason economically or performance wise to not get the 2001 in this circumstance. 4 years means a lot more than 15-17k miles on a reliable exotic. I also have a feeling the 2001 model NSX's will always be the 'best' NSX's to a fairly sizable crowd who prefers their looks over the face lifted models.

Last edited:
Fyi, the emmisions extended warrenty from honda applies to 97...it applies to all check engine light issues until 2011 i believe. And a free tune up at 75k (does not include timing belt). But base on color, i would go with silverstone.

Do you have a color preference? Do you plan on driving it a lot or just on weekends?

I think I would pick the 01 just because it's newer, but I can see your delima.

The basic tradeoff is 4 years or 17k miles. I would take the later model rather than the lower miles.

For that price, go with an '02.

I paid $48,000 for my 97' NSX with 9,600 miles. Just had the timing belt, valve adjust, all fluids etc.. done for under $1,600

I would agree with the other posts here.

Buy the later model. There's all the improvements that were made, but if both were equally maintained, they will be very comparible in terms of reliability. The newer one gives you four years. The 17k miles is nothing. Four years is significant.

Look at it this way, if the 97 had zero miles and the 01 had 17k miles which would you buy?

Back