Which driver should help develop the new NSX?

If Mclaren goes back to Honda power as rumored, then it could be possible for Button and Hamilton to assist. But, my vote is for Rubens. He's got so much experience, is a phenomenonal driver and is known for being a good car developer, i.e., someone who is good at working with the engineers to identify and fix issues with the car. Problem is, most Americans don't know who Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello are. If you want this car to have the same effect in the US as the Senna/NSX combo did in Japan (where he is worshipped as a God), you need well known American road racers. Some names that come to mind are Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Paul Tracy, Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves and Dario Franchitti. You would probably need some NASCAR talent too, but most of those boneheads don't know what to do on a road course. The only two I can think of with any actual driving skill are Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart. I say have a 5 day testing session at mid-ohio and give each driver a day with the car and engineers.

Haha. Jk
Seriously if Honda could get Schumacher away from Ferrari or whoever he is working for now, that would earn the new nsx a reputation like Senna.

However I think the new nsx will be developed by their in house test drivers.

Oh hell no.

Bobby Rahal helped with the development on the first NSX, and he lives in Ohio to boot.
Heck, Graham could help out too :biggrin:

Brian

Big Bird. It's just as random as the other names being mentioned for a car that is at least three years away.

I mentioned this topic on a different thread so thanks for calling it out Honcho. I really enjoy reading your posts.

An interesting choice would be Michael Schumacher. He's tied to Ferrari which would be an interesting strategic choice for Honda to use him. It'll almost be a slap to the face of Ferrari but I can also see it working the other way for Honda. He's world renowned so I think from a marketing perspective he'll have instant universal appeal. Unfortunately, no ties to Honda so the purist would have a problem with it.

Tony Kanaan is also an interesting choice. Unfortunately I he doesn't quite have the universal conservative appeal Honda is looking for. He's likely a better choice for something like the Tuatara.

Senna, Honda, and F1 was the perfect storm...

Big Bird. It's just as random as the other names being mentioned for a car that is at least three years away.

Funny, but in the 90's the NSX was a Halo car that got tons of PR for the brand and sold the daily drivers for Honda and Acura.

I'm starting to think that in 2012 (with all car guys on the web) you don't even need to build a Halo car, just show a model, and for the next 3 years, you have a virtual Halo car for the virtual world. LOL

The man, the myth, the legend.....

The I'm too sexy for my nsx........

The one, the only, Mr. Asimo himself.........

1095580889_eVrAE-L.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what the big deal is anymore? Back in the days, a good racer's input is vital because they don't have much help in terms of wind tunnel and super computer. Today is a whole different story.

I have a feeling the current NSX Concept show car is something they put together from the old NSX chassis as a show car while the real deal is being developed. If they do that on the production car, the chassis will still be top notch today.

I don't think any supercomputer can still give input similar to what a Lewis Hamilton or a schumy could do. The computer can perhaps correct it, but not diagnose it.

I think you guys are missing the point of the ties Senna has the NSX.

The pride NSX owners and enthusiasts have in knowing Senna had a hand in the development of the NSX isn't because he was a big name. It was because he was a genius behind the wheel and his advice made the car better.

Getting someone current to do the same thing is going to be a wasted effort and nothing more than a publicity stunt if they don't have the same abilities.

Well if it's pure driving instincts you're talking about, as much as I can't stand him, your man is Alonso.

I think you guys are missing the point of the ties Senna has the NSX.

The pride NSX owners and enthusiasts have in knowing Senna had a hand in the development of the NSX isn't because he was a big name. It was because he was a genius behind the wheel and his advice made the car better.

Getting someone current to do the same thing is going to be a wasted effort and nothing more than a publicity stunt if they don't have the same abilities.
Missing the point? Not so sure...

To be a good (and winning) driver you have to be able to communicate to your crew, your engineers, your designers, what your car is doing and how you want it to perform. At those levels, it's not a luxury.. it's a must and an absolute requirement.

I don't think any supercomputer can still give input similar to what a Lewis Hamilton or a schumy could do. The computer can perhaps correct it, but not diagnose it.

For production cars, absolutely.

Do you think great cars of today from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, GTR all had inputs from race car drivers? These cars are all design using computers and wind tunnels.

In fact, without Senna, Honda was able to extract so much more from the NSX with the NA2 Type R simply by using the wind tunnel, something they didn't get to use back in the 80's.

Back