Where's the grounding point when jump starting?

Due to a variety of unexpected circumstances, I didnt get to take my NSX out for about a month, so I wasn't surprised when I got in it this morning and the battery didn't have enough juice to the crank the engine.

No problem, I have a portable jump starter that's served me well with my other cars, but this was the first time using it on the NSX. Standard jumping procedure is to connect positive to positive and negative to a grounding point, like the engine block or frame.

Of course, on the NSX, the battery and engine block live in two different zip codes, so I tried to find a bolt or other metal object in the front on which to clamp the negative. But no matter what I tried, I couldn't get an electrical connection with the battery. I'm guessing this is because everything is aluminum.

So I finally resorted to clamping directly to the negative terminal of the battery. She started the instant I turned the key.

So is there a proper grounding point on the NSX, or do we just connect to both battery terminals (which is never the recommended) when jumping?

Look for a stud on the block in the the engine bay, its marked with a "-" symbol. The positive terminal is also in the engine bay fuse box under a plastic flap.
When all else fails look in the owners manual.

Noname.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it looks like I did it all wrong, but just happened to get lucky. Thanks for setting me straight. My bad for not checking the owner's manual, which ironically, I happen to have. Thanks again.

Is it bad that i've been jumping my car from the front for years? Or is this just better because we should have the spare in the front which should make it hard to access the battery to jump it from the front?

Last edited:
Jump Starting the NSX

Is it bad that i've been jumping my car from the front for years? Or is this just better because we should have the space in the front which should make it hard to access the battery to jump it from the front?

The NSX may be one of the best executed automobiles ever produced. Honda methodically planned and designed this car for almost every possible situation. I would guess that the engine compartment provision for jump starting was just another of these considerations when developing the NSX.

Jumping from the rear looks cooler. Ultimately this is the metric by which we should make our decisions.

Jumping from the front is no problem. The rear jump connections are recommended in the owner's guide because the battery is hard to get to with the spare in place. Even with the spare removed, it's a bit of a reach if you are over 50 and/or in business attire.

Aside from being easier, jump starting from the terminal in the engine bay has the advantage that you have eliminated a few meters (exaggeration) of the NSX's battery cable between the battery and the starter motor. You will be applying higher voltage to the starter motor which should facilitate starting. The safety upside to jump starting from the back is if you screw up and happen to generate a nasty spark, you are well away from the battery and all that potential nasty liberated hydrogen and oxygen.

If you have to jumpstart a car from the battery terminals, remember to connect both positive terminals first, then connect the negative booster cable clamp to the source car (or jump pack) first and finally connect the other end of the negative booster cable to a bare metal component on the body or the engine on the dead car. Avoid connecting to the dead car's negative battery post as there will likely be a small spark when you make connection which does not mix well with said liberated hydrogen and oxygen. Also, if you do screw up and mix polarities, making the connection at some other point than directly at the battery post reduces the risk of injury from the resultant mess.

I am always amazed that people don't know about the booster connection, or the hidden interlock switch for the trunk release or all the other little NSX stuff. I guess reading the owner's manual is such a non guy thing!

Last edited:
Aside from being easier, jump starting from the terminal in the engine bay has the advantage that you have eliminated a few meters (exaggeration) of the NSX's battery cable between the battery and the starter motor. You will be applying higher voltage to the starter motor which should facilitate starting. The safety upside to jump starting from the back is if you screw up and happen to generate a nasty spark, you are well away from the battery and all that potential nasty liberated hydrogen and oxygen.

If you have to jumpstart a car from the battery terminals, remember to connect both positive terminals first, then connect the negative booster cable clamp to the source car (or jump pack) first and finally connect the other end of the negative booster cable to a bare metal component on the body or the engine on the dead car. Avoid connecting to the dead car's negative battery post as there will likely be a small spark when you make connection which does not mix well with said liberated hydrogen and oxygen. Also, if you do screw up and mix polarities, making the connection at some other point than directly at the battery post reduces the risk of injury from the resultant mess.

I am always amazed that people don't know about the booster connection, or the hidden interlock switch for the trunk release or all the other little NSX stuff. I guess reading the owner's manual is such a non guy thing!

OldGuy-You just saved me from asking why my trunk button quit working. I must have flipped that "main" switch in the glove compartment. Also, many of us do not have the owner's manual. Reading the online one is a pita. But,it will workn a pinch.
Now, I do have a serious question about charging...is it acceptable to charge from the engine bay?
Speedmaster

If you want to charge battery I would always connect the directly. Consider amps going through the wire. Generated heat due to increased resistance. I always take my batteries out when charging from fully dead.

OldGuy-You just saved me from asking why my trunk button quit working. I must have flipped that "main" switch in the glove compartment. Also, many of us do not have the owner's manual. Reading the online one is a pita. But,it will workn a pinch.
Now, I do have a serious question about charging...is it acceptable to charge from the engine bay?
Speedmaster

I think Acura will provide you with a .pdf version of the owner's manual for free. You can also order a paper version of the manual; but, that does involve some $$.

If you are trickle charging or using a small battery charger, either end of the car should be just fine. Not having to pull the spare is +++ if you happen to be 'old guy'. If you are going to try one of those rapid charger things, I would definitely connect directly to the battery posts as I think they need a good measure of the actual battery terminal voltage. If the battery is dead, the advice to remove it from the car before attempting a charge is sage. At the very least, hood up to vent combustible stuff.

As Old Guy mentioned, if your battery is really low on the voltage, you want all the juice from the donor car or jump battery to be connected in the shortest route to the starter so jump starting from the engine bay would be the best.
Speaking of the portable jump starter as in OP, this one works and showing the jump starting point in the engine bay.

More detail in the blog on NSXCB site:
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1490-Powerall-Power-Bank-PBJS12000R-%96-jump-starting-NSX-01

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1491-Powerall-Power-Bank-PBJS12000R-%96-jump-starting-NSX-02

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1492-Powerall-Power-Bank-PBJS12000R-%96-jump-starting-NSX-03

Kaz

I think Acura will provide you with a .pdf version of the owner's manual for free.
It's available on their website. Click here for the 1991 NSX owner's manual.

You can also order a paper version of the manual; but, that does involve some $$.
Yes, it's $42, and it's a photocopy of the original. Click here to order, or call 800-782-4356.

Back