Where to rent garage/shop space?

sjs

Legendary Member
I am interested in hearing from anyone who knows of a place (anywhere in the country) where a person can rent garage/shop space specifically for storing and working on cars. I know of one in this area that caters to SCCA racers, and others that are mostly collectible storage. I'm most interested in ones like the former that allow you to work on your car and perhaps even offer bays with lifts, compressed air, etc.

Any information about such facilities in your area would be most appreciated.

I have offered that to some of my customers in the winters when bus. is slow. But since you are quite a bit south of me... not sure if it helps you out any. How much time do you need and when?

I think this should be generated by track. For example I have a 5 car attatched garage 45 min from Road America, and my friend (also NSX owner) has a private shop 45 min away as well with every possible tool, mill, lathe, spray booth, lift, welding etc etc.

I think just prime members alone can cover every track in the nation for sure. I know that BMWCCA actually has members sign up in a database as to what they can offer other members all the way from a bed to crash in to a fully stocked shop.

Maybe we (Lud) could generate a list of tracks, and have local members sign up with what they can offer, with a phone #, directions, mile away etc.

Just a thought.

Good thoughts and information guys, and I may investigate those for future reference. However, I'm really more interested in knowing whether or not other people have successfully operated storage/shop facilities on a for-profit basis. As you might guess, I'm doing a bit of recon with the idea that I might start such a venture. Not so much as a major source of income, but to have a place where I can work and which helps to pay for itself. There are multiple potential business models and a long list of possible amenities to offer, not to mention some pretty tough hurdles to clear, so I'm looking to see what if anything has worked before.

I do know that there is at least one across the river from here in Illinois so I'll look at that, but if I can find a few in other towns I might find more willingness from the owners to discuss business.

Hey KC guys: Over your way there is such a place. I don't recall the name of it, but it is located down around Arthur Bryant's. It was in the newspaper not all that long ago, saying that the palce had some common use tools, lifts, storage, and also a lounge area. Any of you guys know the details?

Edit: Looks like the article was from the December 3rd issue - "Enthusiasts and their cars find home for their hobby." The KC Star requires a paid subscription to read the archive. :mad: Anybody have access?

Last edited:
Your idea was a business model that was fairly common thirty years ago. Would you be providiing tools and equipment? If so there will be huge overhead. Or would you just provide space and maybe just a single lift? Licencensing the business will be your largest hurdle. Proper zoningand licensing for a facility where automotive work will be performed is one of the toughest licenses to get. But time and patience can overcome that. Then you would have to think of insurance and other overhead bills... Not sure if that business model would generate enough income to cover the overhead costs involved. Not trying to disuade you... just trying to add any kind of info I can think of that will help in making your decision to proceed.

Thanks for the input. But I think you've got something else in mind. I was around 30 years ago, and what we had here were short-term DIY garages. In fact, even Mobile tried the concept at some full service stations that couldn't make a profit. I worked at one of those in the late 70's. What we have in mind is long-term rent/lease space for storage and/or working on race cars etc. Some off the issues you mentioned still apply of course, and we're certainly thinking about those, but such places do exist. Are they making money? That's what I'd like to find out. But I'm not looking for a new primary income. I'll be happy if it helps pay off the real-estate and at the same time gives us a shop where we can work. The real incentive is that I’m on the verge of building a smaller version for personal use only, but if this can work then I’d rather partner with a couple other people to open something that can partially pay for itself.

Back