Where is a ggod place to find an MR2 turbo

NSX/MR2

Suspended
I am looking for a project vehicle, and I am gonna settle for the MR2T. over 100,000 mark, al ittle damage here and there, salvaged title, no problem. The problem is on autotrader and ebay, there are very few T to go around. What is your advise, u guys know any dealers on places, thanks guys.

Originally posted by Deqle:
I am looking for a project vehicle, and I am gonna settle for the MR2T. over 100,000 mark, al ittle damage here and there, salvaged title, no problem. The problem is on autotrader and ebay, there are very few T to go around. What is your advise, u guys know any dealers on places, thanks guys.

Nice choice!
smile.gif

If you care about staying SCCA stock, I recommend looking for a stock '93+ turbo and will warn you in advance it is going to be a long and painful search as many of these cars have been modified/wrecked/poorly maintained or some combination thereof and the nice ones are commanding top dollar these days. There were relatively few '93+ MR2s brought over, but these are the ones to get as they have the revised rear suspension, bigger brakes and availability of a limited slip differential.

If you don't care about staying SCCA stock, the best advice I can give you is to buy any MKII and do the JDM Gen III swap. You will find some amazing deals on '91-'92 normally aspirated cars or turbo cars with blown motors that would make an ideal candidate for a swap. If it were me, and this car was just to have as a weekend play/fun car, I would look for a no-options NA hardtop model to do the conversion on.

Here are some good resources for you to check out. For basic research and to learn more about MR2s, be sure to have a look at:
http://www.board.mr2faq.com (main MR2 message board)

and
http://www.mr2.com/ (badly in need of updating, but still a good resource)

For the JDM swap, talk to the guys at E.L. Prototypes. They are by far the best in the business for this kind of project and will help you source the donor clip as well.
http://www.elprototypes.com/

If you're just looking to buy a car, aside from the classifieds on the main MR2 board listed above, be sure to check out the listings at:
http://www.xcars.com/

Good luck and have fun.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 30 August 2002).]

Thanks, bro. I bet the only way you said (good choice) is cause I picked an MR2 for my project, if i was to pick something else, u would have given me the finger, huh, just kidding, u are a great help. Now I intend to stay with SCCA for now, a little body damage, or modification don't bug me as long as my crew can handle the job, I just want to get the car. If SCCA, what is the amount of hp I can push before I have to deal with reliability issue, what is the best way to modify the car, i.e., turn up the boost, pipe, intercooler. And last but not least, can the engine be swap between an NA and T model, if I ended up with an NA to start with.

If SCCA, what is the amount of hp I can push before I have to deal with reliability issue, what is the best way to modify the car, i.e., turn up the boost, pipe, intercooler. And last but not least, can the engine be swap between an NA and T model, if I ended up with an NA to start with.

Deqle,

I'm not the one to ask about SCCA rules. I would recommend that you post your question on the MR2 board forums for Road Racing and/or AutoX depending on which events you are interested in running.

I'm sure they will be able to help answer your questions there.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

Just one thing, can the engine be swap between an NA and T US spec MR2, and is it cost effective, thanks!

Just one thing, can the engine be swap between an NA and T US spec MR2, and is it cost effective, thanks!

From my own experience, it can be done but will be quite pricey. The Turbo MR2s required a different transmission than what are in the NA.

Originally posted by khuezee:
From my own experience, it can be done but will be quite pricey. The Turbo MR2s required a different transmission than what are in the NA.

I'm going to have to disagree, although I suppose it depends on what one considers "pricey".

My car was formerly a 1993 NA before E.L. Prototypes swapped in a late model Gen III rear clip from Japan.

The way these swaps are usually done these days is that a doner "clip" is sourced to swap into the NA chassis. A clip is essentially the back half of a wrecked car that has been cut in two (from the firewall back). This can be from either a higher mileage wrecked U.S. car ($1,500-2,000) or an imported, late model, low mileage car from Japan ($2,000-4,000).

The transaxle on an MR2 is essentially the same as a front wheel drive car only mounted in the back. In other words, the engine, transmission, subframe and rear suspension all come out as a single unit along with the wiring harness and ECU.

The labor involved in these swaps is relatively straightforward for a shop that knows the pin-outs on how to re-wire the car for the NA dash and accessories. Basically, the entire rear drive train is dropped from under the donor intact (engine, transmission, suspension, hubs, brakes and all) and bolted in place in the NA chassis. Since the chassis is designed to accept this set-up from the factory, no fabrication of engine mounts or anything else is involved.

E.L. Prototypes charges around $1,500 for labor and the entire swap usually takes under 2 weeks.

So, for between $3,000 - $5,500 an NA car can be converted to turbo.

Granted, all of this can be considerably more expensive (especially with respect to labor) if a turbo engine is sourced separate from the rest of the clip, but with the prices of rear clips being very reasonable as more and more donor cars are brought in from Japan, it rarely makes sense to source just an engine without the rest of the package. Beyond that, when one buys the entire clip, the bigger turbo rear brakes, beefier cross member and LSD (where applicable) are part of the package.

In my opinion, none of this is all that expensive or complicated (especially not for the relative to the prices an NSX owner is used to seeing) and certainly going this route can be a worthwhile and cost effective alternative to finding the ideal turbo car given how rare and expensive nice MR2Ts seem to be these days.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 01 September 2002).]

Thank you David and everyone, now only if I could hunt down the MR2 I wanted.

Ok, I think I got something going here. David, what is the best way to modify a T engine, and what is your car running now if you don't mind I am asking?. Any reliability issue.

Ok, I think I got something going here. David, what is the best way to modify a T engine, and what is your car running now if you don't mind I am asking?. Any reliability issue.

As with most things in life, this is largely determined by your budget and who you ask. Some people will tell you to follow the basic formula for all turbo cars (boost controller, fuel cut defencer, intake, exhaust) but since you asked me, I would do the reliability mods first (bigger intercooler, water injection, aux. oil cooler, stand-alone computer (with dyno time) and then add boost and power mods.

In the end, you'll end up with 250-300 rwhp on a stock motor with reliability being in large part determined by how much of the safety stuff you added before cranking up the boost. When you get past 300 rwhp, you'll need to beef up the internals a bit with forged pistons and add a bigger turbo.

400-500 rwhp is very doable as the 3SGTE is a stout motor with an iron block, oil squirters on the pistons, and a beefy bottom end. As with the Supra, the transmission and differential can handle an enormous amount of power (unlike some of the other imports), but proper fueling and ignition mapping is critical to prevent losing the motor to detonation. Also, while these big numbers might make for impressive bragging rights and/or an impressive purpose built drag car, IMO, this is too much power for a car that will be used for road course events or even for street driving (lots of lag and too much power for such a short wheelbase). Obviously, with anything past 400 rwhp parts start breaking more frequently, but 300 rwhp is relatively safe and a lot of fun in such a small, nimble car. Most people are very happy with the overall performance of a 250-300 rwhp MR2.

As for my car, I am running a stock Gen III motor from Japan ('94+ model year in Japan: these had 241 flywheel hp stock) with basic bolt-ons netting me 292 rwhp on pump gas. I have had no reliability issues to date due in large part, I believe, to the fact that I addressed all of the safety items before adding power and have spent a lot of time on the dyno with some of the best tuners in the country getting everything dialed in properly.

Last but not least, don't lose sight of the MR2's main virtues: it's handling and braking. After all, if raw power was all that you were after, a Camaro, Mustang or Supra would be a far better investment. Coil-overs, swaybars and sticky tires will put a bigger smile on your face than any amount of horsepower you add ever will and if you're going to add power, at least throw on some good brake pads, fluid, and brake lines.

Hope that helps,
-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 01 September 2002).]

Originally posted by BoostedMR2:
So, for between $3,000 - $5,500 an NA car can be converted to turbo.

In my opinion, none of this is all that expensive or complicated (especially not for the relative to the prices an NSX owner is used to seeing) and certainly going this route can be a worthwhile and cost effective alternative to finding the ideal turbo car given how rare and expensive nice MR2Ts seem to be these days.
How does the $4-5.5K in initial upgrades compare with the cost of the "base" car ?? Is it something analogous to putting $20K of mods on a $25K older NSX ??

Back