What's up with the carfax requests?

Well since this is a forum for 'New and Prospective Owners', running a carfax is part of buying a car, no?

My subscription ran out, but when it was valid i ran requests for other users on another forum i'm on (Rennlist).

If asking for a carfax is a no-no, then i apologize.

John

Then Don't Lurk

People request Carfax reports to avoid an NSX with a troubled history. :rolleyes:

Carfax is a worthwhile service.

However, when someone is car shopping and needs a Carfax for a lot of cars, he should really be paying for his own Carfax subscription, rather than relying on favors from someone else with a subscription. Carfax is a business and they are entitled to receive the revenue from those who are using their services.

Those whose subscriptions have expired, and for whom Carfax does not permit renewal, are a different story.

When I had carfax, I would use up what I payed for, by helping others out...just like going to blockbusters...you rent a video, but would it be considered illegal if you invite all your friends over to view it? People here have helped me check out NSXs when my carfax expired....and I really appreciate it.

Spinner said:
you rent a video, but would it be considered illegal if you invite all your friends over to view it?
No, but it would be considered illegal if you made copies of the video and gave them to your friends.

I guess since he's not giving out his password for the service he payed for, it should still be legit....however, if he posted his account information for us to use, that might be a different story....

I think the original question was forgtten here..............someone is annoyed at all the carfax requests.

Should people carfax for each other??....................opinions will differ but it is up to the individual.

There should be a separate Carfax forum.

I mean a separate Carfax forum here on NSX Prime. A place for people to request Carfax favors.

carfaxes

i understand your point but some of us are trying to buy cars,get info, meet others,etc. and that's why i came to this site. i found from checking it out that no matter what i will get a NSX. i wanted to see how the scene in SoCalk is. being a member in other types of vehicle clubs ,i know how great it is to have others who share your passion(madness) with. the carfax thing is the same as if i knew alot about some model of car or such and you wanted to know more about them. i'm in the vehicle buisness, ibut i'll freely (and often) give my time and knowledge to those who yearn for info. sorry for this rant but this forum seems like a great gathering of enthusiasts and mam looking forward to joining the fray.thanks.

There are lots of owners in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, and many of them were at NSXPO 2003. In fact, I had a good time poking around your area in my crappy rental car on my way to and from NSXPO (since I flew into LAX and drove to and from the SF Bay Area from there) - Gibraltar Road and East Camino Cielo Road were outstanding, especially since there was fog up to a certain elevation and all the great roads were above that point, so you're driving up and up in fog and all of the sudden you're above it all, feeling like you're driving above the clouds. Very cool.

Good luck finding the car you want.

thanks for the reply. i'm still looking at 2 cars right now. and being a FORMER chi-town kid i know how nice it is to have great roads like this to drive/ride. stay warm in the next months and go have a Superdawg for me.....oh wait..are you a northsider or southsider???? very important when it comes to fine dining..

"Use the Search Engine"

Having a slew of CarFaxes posted here has been extremely useful to me. By putting in the VIN of an NSX I am interested in, about 40% of the time I can get a report instantly. Not completely up to date perhaps, but at least of enough completeness to help determine if any follow-up is worth while

Mark

I have observed many potential buyers being saved by members here posting carfax requests for them. I think that is a great thing. The only people that should be worried or annoyed about a carfax request are the shaddy people trying to sell questionable NSX's without full disclosure.

Not shady people trying to sell bad NSX's. More like Shady people cheating Carfax out of income. If we all love Carfax so much, we should support them by paying for their service.

Its like software, jsut buy yourself a copy instead of pirating it.

norbtx said:
Not shady people trying to sell bad NSX's. More like Shady people cheating Carfax out of income. If we all love Carfax so much, we should support them by paying for their service.

Its like software, jsut buy yourself a copy instead of pirating it.

Well, I guess you could look at it that way. I paid for my own carfax so this really doesn't apply to me though. But I don't think it is like pirating software at all. Once I buy the prodect I should be able to do as I please with it as long as I am not selling the copywrited material or using it for commercial profit. I see no reason why I should tell my mom to buy her own software when I already bought it and can simply slide my disk into her computer. I look at the carfax thing more like buying season tickets to a sporting event. It is my season tickets, and I can let someone else use my ticket and seat if I'm not going to that particular game as long as I paid for the entire season. Same like carfax. The buyer paid for XX amount of time and I think he can choose to let others benefit from the money he spent. There is no specified rule in carfax that prohibits the user from looking up multiple VINs of his interests. I guess it is beating around the bush if it is for other people, but if the user feels it is in his interests to look up VINs for people personally chooses, then it is still within the carfax rules IMHO. It doesn't bother me one way or antother though, so to each his own.

;)

Back