What's the difference between the 2004 and 2005 NSX?

Well I've been wondering this for a while and the resurrection of the '02 vs. '05 discussion prompted me to ask: What are the differences between the '04 and '05 other than an additional year of warranty? Anything? I want to get a yellow/yellow nsx '04 or '05 this summer and want some more info. Thanks!

P.S. I'm talking same millage, stock, $ doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I believe there are a couple minor changes from the '03 to '04 models such as the shift knob and I believe keyless entry and key fob and that the cd changer was base and not an option. But as far as the '04 to '05's I think there are no differences other you stating perhaps another year of warranty.

The biggest difference I know about is the 05's production was not in the original plant. All others were built in the Takanezawa R&D Plant in Tochigi from 1989 to early 2004, the 05' NSX production moved to the Suzuka Plant for the remainder of its production life. I don't know if the move changed anything about the car, I doubt it, but thought it was interesting.

The 2005 was the last year of production, whereas the 2004 was the second to last year. :D If you do a little homework you'll discover that there really is no difference at all between the two cars.

Changes for 2004

* US Colors: Long Beach Blue Pearl, New Imola Orange Pearl, Grand Prix White, New Formula Red, Rio Yellow Pearl, Silverstone Metallic, and Berlina Black. Each of these colors can be matched to a corresponding interior color for a personalized look or ordered with a conventional tan or black leather interior.
* Now standard equipment instead of options: Keyless entry, CD changer in trunk
* Redesigned shift knob
* Removal of passenger side power door lock.
* Gauge Cluster bezel color change: from "Aluminum" to dark gray.
* MSRP $89,000 + destination and handling $745.00
* Interior gauge faces changed from black to dark blue

Changes for 2005

* Manual transmission/synchro change [to be confirmed]
* CD changer now MP3 compatible [2004 change?]
* Factory alarm now gives audible *beep* when activated via key FOB (second time button depressed)
* "NSX" emblem on door handle color changed to silver [to be confirmed - 2002 change?]
* White stitching used on interior dash [to be confirmed - 2002 or 2004 change?]

osugrad97,

all the 05 changes you list are either 04 changes or 02 changes, Except the transmission change, the part number for the 05 tranny reverted back to the 97-2000 part number.

btw i have your cars twin. 05 number 103... what number is yours?

I made a number of those comments on the 2005 changes in Wiki, but hopefully someone with a 2004 will comment/correct as necessary. The manual transmission change is discussed in one of the grinding shifting threads, but I don't think it was formally announced by Honda.

ski- banker

in fact the transmission was another 04 change
here are the part numbers
20011-PR8-E61 2004
20011-PR8-E61 2005
20011-PR8-A61 2003
20011-PR8-A61 2002
20011-PR8-E61 1997

Notice that in 1997 the newly introduced 6 speed was E61. in either 01 or 02 it changed to a61.. We heard about a lot of grinding issues with 02, 03 nsxs and larry bastanza (i believe) first noticed the different part numbers. also note that the 99 zanardi had its own 6 speed part number
thanks
tom

wow i never knew this!!! :) kinda recall my '02 having a slight grind, thought it was normal. i guess it was normal for the 02 - 03....good info, thanks.

ski- banker

in fact the transmission was another 04 change
here are the part numbers
20011-PR8-E61 2004
20011-PR8-E61 2005
20011-PR8-A61 2003
20011-PR8-A61 2002
20011-PR8-E61 1997

Notice that in 1997 the newly introduced 6 speed was E61. in either 01 or 02 it changed to a61.. We heard about a lot of grinding issues with 02, 03 nsxs and larry bastanza (i believe) first noticed the different part numbers. also note that the 99 zanardi had its own 6 speed part number
thanks
tom

The biggest difference I know about is the 05's production was not in the original plant. All others were built in the Takanezawa R&D Plant in Tochigi from 1989 to early 2004, the 05' NSX production moved to the Suzuka Plant for the remainder of its production life. I don't know if the move changed anything about the car, I doubt it, but thought it was interesting.
I had forgotten about this! I guess maybe it'd be an excuse I'd use if I choose to get an '04 instead of an '05. There is one more '04 than '05 yellow on yellow according to the wiki ;-P.

The 2005 was the last year of production, whereas the 2004 was the second to last year. :D If you do a little homework you'll discover that there really is no difference at all between the two cars.
Right, Acura is no exception to continuing cars as is without changes year to year. My first Integra ('96) was actually just a 95 that wasn't sold and was carried on as a 96 since there were no changes made. Turns out there were a few minor changes but subtle enough to slip by with on the gs-r. I don't think this was done with the NSX but since the NSX was running the end of its course it doens't surprise me they didn't make a changes to the '05 and just continued the '04 design to save money and try to make a few more sales.

I made a number of those comments on the 2005 changes in Wiki, but hopefully someone with a 2004 will comment/correct as necessary. The manual transmission change is discussed in one of the grinding shifting threads, but I don't think it was formally announced by Honda.

I checked the wiki before which is why I came here. I didn't think there was many if any differences. An '05 would be nice though, especially for those MP3 cds! Oh wait...My phone plays mp3s.....

04 and 05 models have no mechanical or aesthetic differences .

Only thing different is the model year and perhaps the plant the car was made in (Tochigi vs. Suzuka).

Only thing different is the model year and perhaps the plant the car was made in (Tochigi vs. Suzuka).

That would make me nervous unless they moved the people building the cars too.

That would make me nervous unless they moved the people building the cars too.

Well I don't think they would just ask the maintenance crew to start assembling NSX's.

"Guys I know yesterday you were inspecting the robotic arms, today we need you to put together the last 100 NSX's. Thanks".

:biggrin:

I remember reading that this occured starting from the 2004 model year rather than the 2005 as you've stated. Not sure which is correct though.

I seem to have a different listing on transmission numbers:

20011-PR8-A61 Model Years: 2000,01,02,03
(5th and 6th gear syncros are dual syncro's)

20011-PR8-E61 Model Years: 1997,98,99,04,05
(5th and 6th gear syncros are single syncro's)

Purely speculation, but it seems they may have found some left over transmissions of the E61 type and used them for the last two years of the model run.

I know the listings are correct, the reason is speculative:).

BTW, I have purchased a few new A61 models as retrofits over the years,(only version available for purchase as a spare part) and they work great.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,
thanks,

I know the speculation that they found the older ones and purchased them for the final production years is not the reason, as right up until the end there was a plan for a 2006 model year run. Then at the last minute word from japan was that there would not be an 06 nsx.

I remember reading that this occured starting from the 2004 model year rather than the 2005 as you've stated. Not sure which is correct though.
It was partway through the 2004 model year, with roughly 80 percent built at Tochigi and the rest at Suzuka, identified by the 11th character of the VIN (T or S). For details on exactly how many were produced at each plant for 2004, see this topic.

Can someone talk more on the transmission differences? The later NSX's have dual synchros on 5th & 6th? I have heard that this is actually WORSE.

However, on my 98, 5th actually has a little bit of a worn synchro, and it seems to me that the newer transmission would be better, right?

Here are some pics of my 2004. I saw these on all the 2005's I was looking at.

Yes, standard keyless entry and MP3 CD changer in trunk:

IMG_1416sm.jpg

Yes, redesigned shift knob:

IMG_1405sm.jpg

Annoying but yes, removal of passenger side power door lock:

IMG_2703sm.jpg

Yes, gauge cluster bezel color change: from "Aluminum" to dark gray (kindda black IMO with a "rough" texture) and gauge faces changed from black to dark blue:

IMG_1336sm.jpg

Yes, factory alarm now gives audible *beep* when activated via key FOB (second time button depressed).

Not sure on this one, white stitching used on interior dash. Mine is silver??

IMG_2704sm.jpg

Not sure on this one, "NSX" emblem on door handle color changed to silver. Here's mine:

IMG_2706sm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks silverNEEK. That door lock thing really blows, wtf? Well these are good things to know. I don't think the plant matters too much, if anything I'd just be my excuse of getting an '04 if no '05s are available. The last '05 yellow/yellow I know of is selling now on ebay :(. I think I prefer the old transmission. And as said before, whoopty do on the mp3 compat., my phone has windows media player and a finger print reader :-P.

Thanks silverNEEK. That door lock thing really blows, wtf? Well these are good things to know. I don't think the plant matters too much, if anything I'd just be my excuse of getting an '04 if no '05s are available. The last '05 yellow/yellow I know of is selling now on ebay :(. I think I prefer the old transmission. And as said before, whoopty do on the mp3 compat., my phone has windows media player and a finger print reader :-P.

I dont think you meant number 241 right? just making sure...the one on ebay is number 95

Back