wha'ts the deal w/buying outside of cali and bringing in?

going out of state to get an NSX...

as a cali resident, can you do this?
if you can, isn't there some ridiculous tax or something?

Usually there are no problems with bringing a car in...Usually....

What year car are you looking at?? any mods?? Mileage?? that can effect it.

you should have no problems... I think the problems only occur with the really new models and low, low mileage, because dealers want you to stay in the state for buying new cars (or cars 1-2 years old with low mileage). Be careful with engine mods as it might be tougher getting it to pass emissions in this state.
Good luck!!!!

Even with late model NSX's it is not a problem, as at least the late model, 2002-2004, meet Calif emissions standards. The earlier ones may also I do not know. There is a sticker in the engine compartment stating that they meet the Ca standards.

buy the car, don't get caught within 3 months while driving, and go register at the DMV or AAA. Make sure you have something to prove with a date on it................put a date on the title. I know of someone that had done this...............that is why i knew this loophole.

95Mr2Turbo said:
how do i pull that off?

I just went through this last September. Bought a 95-T from a dealer in Detroit and had it shipped home to Cali.

Here's what I did when it arrived:
  1. Notify Insurance of purchase
  2. Added fuel additive to ensure smog test pass
  3. Get it real warmed up and take to Smog Station for test
  4. Make appointment at DMV to register out of state vehicle (or else wait in DMV purgatory for 3 hours)
  5. Go to DMV and pay registration and taxes
  6. Get physical inspection of VIN at DMV (5 minutes)
  7. Drive away happy!
    [/list=1]
    On the title, make sure it is signed twice!!! Not just at the release section but also the Odometer section. The dealer didn't sign the odometer section and DMV jerked me around. So i had to get it signed *cough* forge *cough* (thankfully he said just sign his name)

It passed smog with no problems but like someone here said, check the sticker to see if it meets either US EPA or Calif emmisisons regulations. Once you pass smog the station will electronically send the test results to DMV and give you copies of the paperwork.

Now you can try to avoid the registration by keeping stored for 3 months outside of Calif but I believe you have to provide "proof of storage" from some out of state storage company. Honestly the registration will not be that bad. its the County Use Tax that is the killer. You are probably better off just paying the lousy registration. I paid roughly $2300 for Tax, Lic, Reg, Smog, etc. and have peace of mind. Registration portion was about $300 for a 1995. I imagine it would be less for a 1991.

Hope this helps.

p.s. If you buy from a dealer, AAA will not register.

Last edited:
That's not true. I brought in my car from Texas, no problems with registering in California, or using AAA. Quite frankly, a comparable NSX is about $5-6k more in California than in Texas, or other states for that matter.

I know what the "ridiculous tax" that 95 Mr2 is talking about, but it no longer exists. It used to be (I believe up until '99 or '00) that when you brought in a car not originally sold in California, you had to pay a $400 penalty because the car supposedly did not meet California emission standards. The truth is, most modern cars met CA emissions requirements, and this was a way for CA to rake in some additional $$. People complained, the law was changed, and refund checks were issued by the CA DMV. Now it doesn't matter where your car comes from. Incidentally, for sure a 1991 and up NSX meets CA emission requirements (mines a 1991).

I can see my NSX-T coming from Wisconsin already!

Arata said:
If you buy from out of state in CA, AAA will not register it.

This is true some of the time. If you buy from a dealer, AAA won't register it for you, but, if you buy from a private party, AAA will register it for you. At AAA, I told them that a dealer would be more likely to have the correct paperwork(This was a new car) and how could I have bought a new car from a private party? To be honest, that is backwards. Private parties screw up more things than a dealers do. They informed me that the DMV restricts them from registering out of state vehicles purchased from a dealer.

BTW, All NSX's are 50 state legal. This means that no matter where the car was purchased, it meets Californias strict smog laws. ;)

BTW, All NSX's are 50 state legal. This means that no matter where the car was purchased, it meets Californias strict smog laws. ;)

I realized this after several hours of research to buy mine out of state.

Not to be anal but as long as its a NA vehicle it meets CA emissions. Do the Japanese/UK models have same requirements?

95Mr2Turbo said:
going out of state to get an NSX...

as a cali resident, can you do this?
if you can, isn't there some ridiculous tax or something? [/B]

I purchased mine in Dec and now im just waiting to register it cause its gonna cost me approximately $3000 in taxes. Just wait 3 months and you'll be set.

Here's the quote from the CA dmv website
"Use Tax-This tax is similar to sales tax. It is collected at the same rate as your county of residence. It is due on all vehicles purchased in California and on those brought into this state within 90 days of purchase. Any sales taxes paid out-of-state will be considered when computing the use tax due this state. This fee is due for ownership transfer of recently purchased vehicles.

Back