What's next for the automotive aftermarket?

In the 80's and early 90's, lowriders (trucks in particular) seemed to be the "in" thing. Car audio came on strong in the early 90's, but then seem to die down a bit, and "rice" became popular. Now "rice" is seeming to be out of fashion, and in-car entertainment (i.c.e.) is big, but automotive makers are making it more difficult to make aftermarket modifcations by tying all the electronics to one another in a car. I.c.e. will still be viable in the near future, and actual performance seems to be where we are headed, with companies producing more and more hp in the cars (the Hemi is back, the WRX STi, 400hp Vette, 500hp SRT-10 Ram, 300+ hp Chrysler 300C is coming out, Bugatti @ 1001hp, etc.) and people seem to want to put more performance into their cars. Also, while not being "ricey", rims seem to be getting more attention. And with hybrid cars already being produced, and with more on the way in the near future, that could change everything again.

Where do you guys see the automotive aftermarket going? Car audio store are looking to what is coming next, so they can offer that as well as the i.c.e. to keep profits up, but no one really knows what the next trend will be. Thoughts?

I think wi-fi will be big in vehicles. Blue Tooth, 802.11x, and integrated GPS capabilities in multi-use electronics is going to be huge. We're just seeing the tip of it in XM Radio and On-Star.

In Japan, the deluxe suv/hummer thing is gaining popularity, as the previous youngins' can afford higher priced cars, they are falling under the modification shroud.

The import scene is still growing though, just segmenting more into specifics. Before in the early nineties, we all hung together (protection in a pack mentality!). Look for the new media technologies to make an impact. The ice scene is growing in sophistication.

Drift cars are finally making an impact in America i've been told.

I agree with the hybrid/fuel cell technology changing everything (as i mentioned in a previous post, the hsc got a quick little flash on tv here in Japan, everyone was interested in the new fuel technologies and partnerships companies have started forming to bring this to us.) but its a little way off yet.

I *hopefully* see aftermarket companies increase the quality of their parts and range.

Back