Whats my 92 NSX worth?

Hello experts. I am counting on you to help me obtain an asking price for my car. Here are the stats:

1992 NSX
White/Black 5spd, 94K miles

Extras:
Short Gearset + 4.23 R&P w < 2,000 miles
Clutchmasters Stage 1 Clutch
Comptech Test Pipes
RM Racing Exhaust w/Oval Tips
Wings West body kit
Power Stop slotted rotors (4)
Neuspeed 1.4 inch springs
17/18" Racing Hart M5 wheels (slight curb on 1)
Carbon Fiber B pillar covers + Side intake covers
2002 Tail Lamp conversion + center
JDM Honda Steering wheel + airbag
Zanardi Floor Mats
Panasonic in dash DVD/MP3/TV/CD/VCD Player
Bazooka 8" Sub in the floor
Bazooka component speakers
Bazooka Amps mounted in trunk
Powdercoated valve covers + intake cover
Powdercoated brake calipers

Timing belt and water pump replaced at 60K miles. Plugs also. Brake Rotors are a few months old, but pads could be changed. Left fender has been replaced, and was repainted along with left door. Could use some touching up in a few spots, or just a repaint of those 2 areas due to clear peeling slightly. Front bumper needs to be repainted as well due to clear peeling. I assume, obviously, that it was refinished, but this occurred before I took possession of it. I am selling this car only to buy a 6speed NSX-T and start over. I will never leave the NSX family. Never have i owned a car with such smooth power and handling, combined with the reliability and economy of a civic. Please help me decide what its worth.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
DSC00908.JPG

------------------
1992 NSX
VTEC Forums- The newest online discussion center, for Honda performance.

Just wondering but you have made some significant mods that really take the car away from the stock notion to the well modified - especially in the wheel, stereo, and exhaust sound level department.

Reason I ask is that a well maintained 92' with your mods and millage is probably worth low 30's and you will take a beating on your mods (add almost nothing when compared to a similar stock 92'). Will you really be happy with the stock NSX-T or will you have to buy the mods back and/or look for a similar one?

For my money I would keep your coupe with the mods you obviously like and maybe treat yourself to a supercharger - and pocket $20k.

smile.gif

Either way - good luck with whatever you decide as you have a nice looking car that should make you or a new owner very happy.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Snap ring status?
Window regulator status?

A typical, reasonably-well-maintained '92 with 94K miles will generally sell in the high twenties, $27-29K. You've got some body damage issues that could lower that value somewhat less than that, as could the snap ring or window regulator issues, depending on their status. Assuming that the snap ring and regulators have been fixed, you would be looking at maybe $25-27K stock.

So, as Nick points out, the question is how much effect the mods have on the market value of the car. They make your car really unique, which means that you are then depending on finding a buyer who is willing to pay extra for exactly those mods. If you do, you might be able to sell it for a few grand more; if you don't, you might have to sell it for a few grand less than the car would otherwise be worth.

If it were my car, I would start out asking $32K for it, but wouldn't be surprised if I had to settle for $27K or so.

I think Nick's advice is good; since you went to all the trouble to make all those changes to personalize it in a way that you enjoy, why not just keep it?

After reading countless posts and becoming educated by the infinitely more knowledgable folks on this site, here's my first post. First off, the car looks good from the picture and the link to your other pics. The mods are very tasteful IMO. To cut to the chase, I agree with Ken's suggestions. It looks like you have the car just how you like it and the mods, however tasteful, will result in a smaller potential pool of buyers. The mileage will also shrink the potential number of buyers.

To hopefully give you a point of reference, I just purchased a '92 with about 48K miles for around $30K. It IS in snap ring range and has not had this addressed since there are no symptoms. Maybe I'm naive, but after talking to the NSX guru Mark Basch, this wasn't a major concern of mine. I'll address it at the first sign of symptoms. It also did NOT have the timing belt / water pump done due to the mileage but is going in in the next few weeks for that due to the age. However, it did have new model (94+) polished 7 spoke wheels and brand new tires. Mine's red/black 5 spd, factory phone, 6 disc, totally stock. I got all service records since new (I purchased it from the second owner who only had it 8 months - trading up to a newer one like what you are wanting to do), factory cover, original window sticker, service diary since new, original keys, etc. I searched quite a while (5-6 months)for this car.

I would suggest you get the paint work done before marketing the car, if you do decide to sell it. IMHO it will make it more marketable. Again, I would agree with Ken on the price. I would start at $32K and not be surprised if it takes $27K to move it due to the mods and mileage. I think you have to answer two questions for yourself: 1) How fast do you want to move it (this will dictate the price at which the transaction gets executed and 2) Will you be that much happier with a bone stock 6 speed -T for another $20-$25K when you have a vey nice, personalized, perfectly good NSX to begin with.

I'll finish with a shameless plug for Ken (NSXTASY) for providing me with some very good personal advice on NSX pricing, which I followed, before I made the leap recently.

P.S. I really like the powder coating on the calipers. I'm taking my '92 in for some front barkes and purchased the red brake caliper paint that I'm going to have applied to the calipers. Your thoughts about painting vs. powdercoating them would be helpful. Again, good luck with your decision...I wasn't a big fan of white until yours.

Originally posted by ISONSX:
P.S. I really like the powder coating on the calipers. I'm taking my '92 in for some front barkes and purchased the red brake caliper paint that I'm going to have applied to the calipers. Your thoughts about painting vs. powdercoating them would be helpful. Again, good luck with your decision...I wasn't a big fan of white until yours.

I would not paint calipers. Powdercoating is way more durable. I do it here at my shop in Louisiana. I have a spare set of calipers and a complete set of valve covers with intake cover, that are in line to be done in red. I'll be listing them for sale here when they're done. Keep your eyes peeled for that. Thanks for the advice as well.

------------------
1992 NSX
VTEC Forums- The newest online discussion center, for Honda performance.

Back