What would you do? Lower mileage 97 or higher mileage 00?

More questions. Hope you guys aren't tired of them. But I'm seriously engaged in my quest for a 97+ NSX.

I'm considering a few cars:

97 w/23K miles
98 w/56K miles
00 w/60K miles (a Prime member)

All are in the same general price range. All are at least 950 miles from my home. They all appear well taken care of. One has headers, but they are otherwise very near stock. The 97 is a three owner car, the 98 a one owner, the 00 a four owner. Three different colors but let's set that aside since none are the more rare yellow or blue.

The 00 timing belt service isn't due until 105K, right? Both the 97 and 98 (especially so) probably need the timing belt service because of age if not miles.

Your thoughts please!

They are all roughly the same car, very few changes other than the 2000-2001 interior has the pin holes in the leather. I would personally go for the lower mileage car, assuming you like the color and the price works.

Good Luck, no matter what they are all awesome cars.

Definately find as much about the service history as possible before you make a decision. Timing belts are good for around 6-7 years and 90k miles whichever comes first. Headers are a nice addition, worth almost $2k installed. What about the wheels, or any other mods? I like the one owner car, as long as they took good care of it. Multiple owners are fine as long as they did the maintenence on time. I am the 4th owner on my 91 and it is in awesome condition.

Good Luck!

Big_D said:
Definately find as much about the service history as possible before you make a decision. Timing belts are good for around 6-7 years and 90k miles whichever comes first. Headers are a nice addition, worth almost $2k installed. What about the wheels, or any other mods? I like the one owner car, as long as they took good care of it. Multiple owners are fine as long as they did the maintenence on time. I am the 4th owner on my 91 and it is in awesome condition.

Good Luck!

As usual - nothing is apples to apples with these cars. The 98 one owner is black (my least favorite) and completely stock. I hope to see it in the next two weeks. The 97 is red and only has an air intake - otherwise stock. The 00 has headers and 18/18 wheels front/rear, which I don't like (I want 18/17). The 00 has all the maintenance records.

As of today (and subject to change at any time), I favor the 97, lowest miles, but needs timing belt service due to age. Next is the 00, which doesn't need the timing belt till 105K (years from now). Next is the 98, one year newer but much closer to the 90k timing belt service. The 98 is also the furthest away.

I would definitely go for the 97 with the lower milege because in a couple of years I'm pretty sure it'll still be the same price. NSX holds its vaule pretty strong. On the 97, if you decide to drive 10k miles a year it wont seem that much because the miles are low. If you buy one with a high milege, its gonna seem like your racking up more miles than it seems because it was a high milege car. Good luck on your decison and I wish you the best of luck!!:smile:

hofffam said:
As of today (and subject to change at any time), I favor the 97, lowest miles, but needs timing belt service due to age. Next is the 00, which doesn't need the timing belt till 105K (years from now). Next is the 98, one year newer but much closer to the 90k timing belt service. The 98 is also the furthest away.

It sounds to me like you answered your own question. Nothing wrong with the way you have prioritized it.

Keep in mind that the 00 will need the timing belt sooner, not years from now. You should replace the belt based on mileage or time, whichever comes first (details are in the FAQ). The 00 is also coming up on a timing belt replacement w/in a year.

mickeylex said:
It sounds to me like you answered your own question. Nothing wrong with the way you have prioritized it.

Keep in mind that the 00 will need the timing belt sooner, not years from now. You should replace the belt based on mileage or time, whichever comes first (details are in the FAQ). The 00 is also coming up on a timing belt replacement w/in a year.

I was told the 2000 and newer changed the timing belt service to 105K miles. Seller claims that's what the manual says. Is that wrong?

The seller is right, but only 1/2 right. The timing belt should be changed based on age or mileage.

Here is the info from the FAQ: http://nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/timing_belt.htm

The timing belt on a 00 should be replaced at 105K miles OR six years, whichever comes first. Of course, you could delay the replacement to later, but it's a gamble you have to decide on.

hofffam said:
As usual - nothing is apples to apples with these cars. The 98 one owner is black (my least favorite) and completely stock. I hope to see it in the next two weeks. The 97 is red and only has an air intake - otherwise stock. The 00 has headers and 18/18 wheels front/rear, which I don't like (I want 18/17). The 00 has all the maintenance records.

Thats a tough one. I think I would key in on the '00 because it has the maintenence records and is owned by a prime member...plus has headers. This car sounds like a no nonsense deal to me. Otherwise, without the records, you dont have any idea if the oil was changed religiously or when it looked like texas tea...scary.

Wheels can be sold and replaced.

Any just my .02

Back