What to look for when inspecting NSX

James in Victoria has asked me to look at a 94 NSX that he is buying over the phone. He had a friend here drive it and look under the car and it checks out very nice except the friend reports the car doesn't sound like a normal car at start up or idle.
I am going to check it out but I cannot drive it.
The timing belt and possibly the coolant have not been changed and the car has sat in the Acura showroom ever since the S2000 came out. This NSX has 41,000 km and has never been hit. The belt service will be done right away.

Carl
91 Never Serviced eXcept oil changes

[This message has been edited by Tony Montoya (edited 01 December 2002).]

Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
... the friend reports the car doesn't sound like a normal car at start up or idle...
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/roughidle.htm

The NSX has a very rough spot usually discernible at fast idle speed when first started or just above idle when warm - most noticable @ ~1500 rpm. This is typical, not to worry if this is someone new to NSX's making this judgement - mine is the same & it still seems unusual relative to other engines, but am reliably informed it's "normal".

p.s. Do a search on "rough idle" & you will find a bunch of similar questions from newbies to NSX who all find it strange relative to their other experience. Although there are always suggestions to clean the throttle body, you just have to accept this is a harmonic balance issue with this motor at that engine speed.

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 01 December 2002).]

Back