What is this car worth?

Let me start by saying I am not really looking for another nsx but I was looking at what was for sale. I saw this ad and immediately thought,"That seems high. Am I missing something here?"

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46307

The ad states it is a one owner car 2000, Targa top Monte Carlo Blue(great color) and it has 12,500 miles.

It does have low miles and that is great but I don't think this car is worth the $60,000 range personally. I want to get some opinions here because I may not get what other buyers see. This is a good color combo and it has low miles but what it does NOT have going for it is the 2002+ updates. If this car was a 2002-2005 I would say hands down $62-64k. I see that KBB has it ranged at that high but I don't think anyone will buy that car at that price.

What I wonder after seeing this ad is this;
1) How important is it to have an orignal owner? If you buy the car after this person than doesn't that ruin that aspect?
2) How important is it to have low of miles? It sounds great at first but then the car hasn't been driven hardly at all in 11 years! That average of 1000 miles doesn't help the engine out if you ask me. The older an NSX is the more I dislike having really low miles personally.
3) I see the car is 100% stock. Is that good? How many of us really like the original wheels, exhaust, stereo, suspension etc... There is a market for stock cars but more and more I think buyers want tasteful modifications.

All that being said the car is probably a great car and a blast to own. I hope this guy gets that much since that helps out the market for our cars. However, if I had $60k to buy a car I would buy a used Porsche GT3.

Last edited:
I generally don't like to second-guess other tenured Primers seeking to sell their cars- no sense in poisoning the well for a brother (sisters too). However, since the market has had ample opportunity to render its decision I think that at least an observation might be acceptable. Six years on the market at a cost lower (by 5K) speaks volumes. I won't presume to interject my pricing perception of what this car is worth and skew tabasco's deal but I feel the market has clearly spoken to what it is not.

One can ask anything one wants for something that it theirs. All of our cars are for sale at some level I suspect. Tabasco is different only in the regard that he has made his number visible where most of us just let it rattle around in our own minds. It's clear that he does not need the money or the car would have sold sometime last decade.

You are right it is a great color and an apparently well-maintained example which might just someday find the match of the right buyer with the right taste and matching wallet. He's just been trawling for a while, enjoying some the car it appears and waiting for the right situation to come along. Tabasco is different than the rest of us only in the regard that he took the time to put it in the marketplace for exposure.

As with the rest of us who already own our NSX's, I hope that tabasco does get top dollar for his car and once the deal is done that he gives us some idea of what it did sell for. I greatly dislike a marketplace listing that has sold and the OP has deleted most of the info on the listing- such as what he was asking which would give the rest of us an idea of what it sold for and therefore what fair market price for that item or car turned out to be. I feel that would be very helpful to the rest of us still in the game, whether the game is for a part or a particular vehicle.

Last edited:
I think he keeps putting it up forsale to see what the market is for it.

so if we all low ball him for the next 20 years he will have to keep it. LOL

First off, nice to see that we are like-minded in this regard. I remembered that thread and just had not wanted to get involved in that fray. Seeing this one and seeing the opportunity to be the second poster I wanted to influence this thread at the ground floor by interjecting my opinion that as Prime members we should not endeavor to impose our value beliefs on a fellow Primer's deal.

Unless it is a Rick's Custom, in which case all bets are off... :biggrin:

I just think that sh**ing on a fellow is bad form. In the Marine Corps we referred to those types of individuals Bravo Foxtrots.

Semper Fi!

I was wondering why you crafted such a long response..but still its good to let folks who don't spend as much time on prime as me know....we have discussed everything onprime and the internet :eek:

Sure honey, I'll put my car up for sale. If it doesn't sell, then I'll just have to keep it :biggrin:

+1 !!

I think a lot of NSX's are over priced... if someone really wants to move some of these cars, they need to drop 5-10k. Not saying you can't get top dollar for one, but you may be waiting a year or more.

The buyer pool is just too small for these cars. Personally, if you have a nice rare example, just hold onto it!!

I generally don't like to second-guess other tenured Primers seeking to sell their cars- no sense in poisoning the well for a brother (sisters too). However, since the market has had ample opportunity to render its decision I think that at least an observation might be acceptable. Six years on the market at a cost lower (by 5K) speaks volumes. I won't presume to interject my pricing perception of what this car is worth and skew tabasco's deal but I feel the market has clearly spoken to what it is not.

One can ask anything one wants for something that it theirs. All of our cars are for sale at some level I suspect. Tabasco is different only in the regard that he has made his number visible where most of us just let it rattle around in our own minds. It's clear that he does not need the money or the car would have sold sometime last decade.

You are right it is a great color and an apparently well-maintained example which might just someday find the match of the right buyer with the right taste and matching wallet. He's just been trawling for a while, enjoying some the car it appears and waiting for the right situation to come along. Tabasco is different than the rest of us only in the regard that he took the time to put it in the marketplace for exposure.

As with the rest of us who already own our NSX's, I hope that tabasco does get top dollar for his car and once the deal is done that he gives us some idea of what it did sell for. I greatly dislike a marketplace listing that has sold and the OP has deleted most of the info on the listing- such as what he was asking which would give the rest of us an idea of what it sold for and therefore what fair market price for that item or car turned out to be. I feel that would be very helpful to the rest of us still in the game, whether the game is for a part or a particular vehicle.

I whole-heartily agree with your post on the subject.

Only thing I can add is from my personal & past professional experience with the various car sites out there that try to help buyers & sellers determine a current fair market value for the car is question.

Kelly Blue Book is usually very high & sometimes too generous on their guess-timations. This unfortunately leads sellers to many times over estimate the value of their car. It also sets up trade-in buyers with very unrealistic expectations when they go to a dealership, thus then putting them at odds with the dealership making them an offer on their car as being a bunch of low-balling bad guys. This serves no good purpose.

NADA Guides & CPI (Cars of Particular Interest - an NADA-like book focusing on highline, exotic, antique, and special interest cars only...Google them) seem to be a bit more realistic and NADA is usually what many Credit Unions will use for loan valuing...often pretty generously so.

Then there's Edmund's. I personally have seen that their values seem to be very realistic almost bordering on being just plain low, but they supposedly draw from real world figures out on the market.

Current estimate for this car (in assumed excellent condition) for the Dallas area (but each geographic is different):

Kelly: $69,670 (suggested dealer retail)

NADA Guides: $51,000 (high retail)

Edmunds: $41,219 (dealer retail)

CPI only does subscriptions; they have no on-line resource available for look-ups.

Obviously, a private party sale is assumed to bring slightly less money, but you can still see the vast differences between the value estimators out there.

In the end, and since each & every car is different, a car is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it and what a seller is willing to let it go for...no more, no less.

Tabasco just hasn't yet located the buyer he is looking for.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I am not really looking for another nsx but I was looking at what was for sale. I saw this ad and immediately thought,"That seems high. Am I missing something here?"

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46307

The ad states it is a one owner car 2000, Targa top Monte Carlo Blue(great color) and it has 12,500 miles.

It does have low miles and that is great but I don't think this car is worth the $60,000 range personally. I want to get some opinions here because I may not get what other buyers see. This is a good color combo and it has low miles but what it does NOT have going for it is the 2002+ updates. If this car was a 2002-2005 I would say hands down $62-64k. I see that KBB has it ranged at that high but I don't think anyone will buy that car at that price.

What I wonder after seeing this ad is this;
1) How important is it to have an orignal owner? If you buy the car after this person than doesn't that ruin that aspect?
2) How important is it to have low of miles? It sounds great at first but then the car hasn't been driven hardly at all in 11 years! That average of 1000 miles doesn't help the engine out if you ask me. The older an NSX is the more I dislike having really low miles personally.
3) I see the car is 100% stock. Is that good? How many of us really like the original wheels, exhaust, stereo, suspension etc... There is a market for stock cars but more and more I think buyers want tasteful modifications.

All that being said the car is probably a great car and a blast to own. I hope this guy gets that much since that helps out the market for our cars. However, if I had $60k to buy a car I would buy a used Porsche GT3.

It is worth every penny, if someone buys it for the price.
Dealers sell cars for more $ with low miles every single time.
Second gen ABS is a plus, many people prefer the hide away head lamps, low miles. All documentation, complete history, no surprises.
100% Stock cars typically get more $ than modified for collector reasons. As the add says, this is a perfect car. What's that worth?

It appears you may be looking for reasons to discount the price. For some people, all your reasons add value. you have to pay for value. It is depends what is important to the buyer. This car may not be for you.

again, if someone is willing to pay the price, it is worth it. If it was a coupe and not a NSX-T it would be worth even more $.

That is exactly it. If someone is willing to pay that price than the car is worth that much. However, I did NOT realize this person had tried to sell the car for 6 years. That is even interesting if you ask me. I agree with Dr. Vokl that the people who do buy NSX cars are in small pool to choose from. Let's face facts, the car was great when it came out and made a big splash in 1991. The problem I see is a 2005 NSX isn't much different than the first year it came out. That makes it hard to sell a more recent version of our car for more money since their just wasn't a drastic amount of differences. That being said I would love to have a 05' model to leave stock and keep forever in a great color.

Everyone is different and buys their cars for different reasons. I knew when I bought my car I would take it to a track and do a HPDE with it. Why? Well, the NSX was developed with racing in mind and excellent handling. The only way I really see the great handling is when the car is on a track doing sweeping turns at high speed. It absolutely is a great example of balance and handling when tracked.

I am not a big fan of buying a car just to let it sit and collect dust. My father died an early death and taught me something there. All the saving you do in your life can't be taken with you once you pass on. To the best of my knowledge I only get one shot at life so I will enjoy it the best I can.

I hope he gets what he wants for the car and I meant no harm. I think it is a tough time to sell ANY car right now.

You need to go by NADA, Edmunds, and KBB for their private party price. At this recession it is very accurate.

Back