What is the Cheapest way to up your Octane?

Was wondering what the least expensive way to boost octane is.
Just want a temporary fix or discussion to get the right and wrongs.
This is a discussion about what you can add into your tank with your premium fuel.
My success has been with 60 point or 6 octane boost but the cost is 15 bucks per tank. Petty cash for us big spenders but was wondering what others have tried and the cost.
Thanks
Trev

If you got cayt deletes or straight pipes I would run c16 which is leaded gas. This costs about 14 to 16 dollars per gallon. The good thing about running leaded gas is that it will clean up all the carbon deposits/build up on the valves and pistons. I run this on my 700 whp civic for high boost (35psi):biggrin: I love it.

Rahim

I was NA back then, Now I am Vip!
Trev

I agree with 96cxt , mix c16 - it is the cheapest way , OR JUST BUY A METH KIT.

p.s. wanted to elaborate on what 96cxt said, the lead content in c16 will clog your cat , so you need test pipes ,it'll also coat your o2 sensors , you can burn it off with a torch though. The lead will also protect your valves.

Last edited:
I'm injecting a water/methanol mix which seems the least expensive and most practical in the long run because one tank of the mix lasts me a very long time.

Last edited:
Yes, the meth/water injection is for another post though.
Thank you all.
Trev

Aviation gas.
50/50 with premium unleaded.

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

You need an inside source though; not for auto use. Shhh....
At least this is what I've heard.

100LL which stands for Low Lead.
"Low lead" means compared to the 130+ stuff offered years ago. Still will ruin cats big time.

Last edited:
Interesting factum;
The piston engined unlimited air racers ran the purple 131 Octane (if I remember right) Av gas and mixed it 50/50 with ADI which is anti-detonant injection. I think they still run at Reno every year. I got to work on a P-51 racer.
ADI is basically 50/50 alcohol and water.
One wing fuel tank held fuel the other ADI and consumed both at the same rate. So 50% fuel, 25% alcohol, and 25% water. BIG Horsepower for sustained time periods of a race or more.

I am really surprised it took so long for Methanol injection to come to automotive usage as is now popular.
ADI was advanced durring WW2 when having the most HP meant not just winning the race but staying alive and saving your culture.

Last edited:
If you got cayt deletes or straight pipes I would run c16 which is leaded gas. This costs about 14 to 16 dollars per gallon. The good thing about running leaded gas is that it will clean up all the carbon deposits/build up on the valves and pistons. I run this on my 700 whp civic for high boost (35psi):biggrin: I love it.

Rahim

why does it say unleaded gas only on the car ? is it just because of that cats? would leaded gas cause any damige to the car?

Yes, the meth/water injection is for another post though.
Thank you all.
Trev

why do you say that?

you can get a devil's own kit for $200, and with as cheap as windshield washer fluid is (which is about 50/50 60/40 water/meth) it will pay for itself very quickly compared to buying race gas or some other form of octane booster

I have the kit on my other car and went from only being able to run 14-15psi on 91oct to being able to max out my turbos to 20-21psi

why does it say unleaded gas only on the car ? is it just because of that cats? would leaded gas cause any damige to the car?

Yes mainly because of the cats. Leaded gas is not good for emissions.
And like Angus said "it will coat your o2 sensors."
I like using leaded gas becasue it cleans the carbon deposits. It's a better stronger burn and better overall. I just picked some up yesterday for $15 a gallon.

Rahim

Last edited:
mm how bout E85?

Problem with E85 is that you need an assload of it to run the car on , it has higher octane , but you will need 1600cc injectors - at least. - And a 100 gallon fuel tank...

Yes mainly because of the cats. Leaded gas is not good for emissions.
And like Angus said "it will coat your o2 sensors."
I like using leaded gas becasue it cleans the carbon deposits. It's a better stronger burn and better overall. I just picked some up yesterday for $15 a gallon.

Rahim

As far as I know leaded gas has no effect on carbon buildup. That is more an effect of the detergents in the fuel.

Check out www.toptiergas.com for the best fuels commercially available.

And Rahim, buddy, find someone at an airport that can get 100LL for you.
Send the $12 per gallon saved to your favorite charity.

As far as I know leaded gas has no effect on carbon buildup. That is more an effect of the detergents in the fuel.

Check out www.toptiergas.com for the best fuels commercially available.

And Rahim, buddy, find someone at an airport that can get 100LL for you.
Send the $12 per gallon saved to your favorite charity.

Ok so you just mix 50% 100LL and 50% supreme unleaded pump gas? And the 100LL is $3 per gallon?

Thanks
Rahim

There's an airport about 8 mins away from me. I would like to get more info on this before I start using this.
So what octane would this become? I'm guessing 100 octane with low lead mixed with 93 octane (pump gas) would keep me under 100 octane. So what makes it better than the 116 octane fuel I use on the race car?
Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks
Rahim

100 + 93 = 193/2 = 96.5
Prolly closer to 97 as this mix actually raises overall averaged octane.
Why do you need 116 ?
What is your compression ratio ?
Anything over the required octane is wasted and actually reduces BTU's in the combustion process, thus power.

The original question was whats the cheapest way to raise octane.
This mix works cheaply and effectively.

That said H2O injection is a miracle for octane boosting but the OP stated that was for another thread.
It IS the way to go IMO for weekend warriors with no rule/class enforcement.

Torco additive. It will up Super unleaded to just about whatever you want depending on your application and you can keep it in your car and add it just when you need it.

100 + 93 = 193/2 = 96.5
Prolly closer to 97 as this mix actually raises overall averaged octane.
Why do you need 116 ?
What is your compression ratio ?
Anything over the required octane is wasted and actually reduces BTU's in the combustion process, thus power.

The original question was whats the cheapest way to raise octane.
This mix works cheaply and effectively.

That said H2O injection is a miracle for octane boosting but the OP stated that was for another thread.
It IS the way to go IMO for weekend warriors with no rule/class enforcement.

On my race car, when I'm boosting 35 psi making close to 800 whp on a 2.0L 4 cyclinder I need the higher octain.

On my race car, when I'm boosting 35 psi making close to 800 whp on a 2.0L 4 cyclinder I need the higher octain.

Cheap octane is E85 or direct port meth injection... water is also great and its FREE! Havent used E85 since there is only 1 pump in LA :smile: but meth and water or a mix of both works wonders. There is no exact timing advance guidance on the internet. If you find some numbers, i would not trust them. Its dyno feedback once you start playing with mixed fuels. I asked some very knowledgeable people if not the most knowledgeable in the industry about meth and mixed fuels because i could not find any real answer, besides testing. The answer you should get is "I dont know" ... if they say... " if u use 50/50 meth and water, it would be safe to add 3 degress timing" - they dont know what they are talking about. Run away :)

the good thing about meth is its high octane on demand. SEt the pump to kick in before the detonation threshold is hit on pump gas. That way the car can be driving around on pump and when you need high octane it kicks in on demand.

Only word of caution is to have a fail safe on the meth. Wire in a flow switch. If for some reason the meth pump dies or gets clogged, you can wire the switch to send a signal to the ECU or a easier method would be to turn off the boost controller. No meth? the car goes back to a lower and safe waste gate boost level. This prevents engine damage.

also highly recommend direct port. its the only way to ensure even distribution

people love to talk and very rarely do they know. maybe it applies with me too :biggrin:

Last edited:
Problem with E85 is that you need an assload of it to run the car on , it has higher octane , but you will need 1600cc injectors - at least. - And a 100 gallon fuel tank...

..... not really.

will need bigger injectors and fuel pump because E85 has less energy / unit then gas.. and wont need a 100 gallon tank.

instead of dismissing a good idea, it can be done with a duel map setup. One for E85 and one for gas.

The car can still run gas on the bigger injectors for daily driving and switch to E85 map for racing. Also nothing prevents run E85 all the time if there is good access to it.

here in cali we have one pump close to Santa Monica.

For anyone running it, they will need to pick up fuel in 55 gallon drums. Im contemplating this.

or you can run a duel gas tank setup.

Last edited:
Torco additive. It will up Super unleaded to just about whatever you want depending on your application and you can keep it in your car and add it just when you need it.

+1 I use this every summer when I head to Vegas...no issues for me! I will be picking up a 5gal pail soon, but I always keep a can in the trunk triple wrapped in bio-waste bags...the fumes turn ordinary plastic bags into confetti!

Back