What is engine blueprinting?

Hi, Ive searched around a bit and Im going to go out on a limb and swallow my pride and just ask: what exactly is engine blueprinting?:confused:

From my research It seems to me that you go through the engine and measure each part to make sure they conform? but I dont exactly get what this means. Maybe somebody could give me an example?

I believe it was the NSX-R engine that was blueprinted isnt it? Or maybe it was the GT? Anyways I saw some books on blueprinting engines on google..Im not planning on DOING it, but is blueprinting something that one can realistically do or is it something that is only done by race teams and for some high-end cars?

Hope someone can explain to me. I just wonder what it is becuase i read somewhere that an NSX engine was blueprinted and thought "what the heck does that mean?" OK thanks everyone.

When assemble the entire engine by hand, the mechanic torque ranch all the bults, make sure all of the nuts and bolts are 100% the way it was designed. The tolerance level is at its highest and the quality/workmanship control is same with the race car engines, such as F1 motors. The hand polishing method also ensure the smoothest/maxium air flow.

With extra attention to detail - By theory, the engine will run smoother, and possibly with more power.

Honda blueprint all of their Type R engines.

I believe BMW do that with their M power cars as well. MB claim the same with AMG motors, but people have questioned it.

blueprinting refers to the way the engine is assembled,like vance states,all of the factory torques are adhered to, in addition the measurements,specifically the bearing clearances are either modified for friction/oil pressure considerations, and/or very closely set to spec. so they are all the same.Another part would be the balancing.....
P.S. i think the term blueprinting comes from the way that a lot of good engine builders document all of the clearances/measurments/weights on paper,probably so they have something to compare to when tearing down a motor after being raced/blown?

Hi, Ive searched around a bit and I'm going to go out on a limb and swallow my pride and just ask: what exactly is engine blueprinting?:confused:

From my research It seems to me that you go through the engine and measure each part to make sure they conform? but I dont exactly get what this means. Maybe somebody could give me an example?

I believe it was the NSX-R engine that was blueprinted isnt it? Or maybe it was the GT? Anyways I saw some books on blueprinting engines on google..Im not planning on DOING it, but is blueprinting something that one can realistically do or is it something that is only done by race teams and for some high-end cars?

Hope someone can explain to me. I just wonder what it is becuase i read somewhere that an NSX engine was blueprinted and thought "what the heck does that mean?" OK thanks everyone.

To balance and blueprint is common on purpose built race or more expensive performance engines, in some instances even on re-manufactured engines; and was an additional process elected during engine assembly for the NSX Type R.

Balancing is the process of matching individual components during manufacturing.. machining parts to ensure that the items have a high degree of spacial stability and that the masses are matched among internals. As a general rule, in most engines some individual components will be matched as a set to some extent. Exactly which components are matched is strictly a function of the design of the engine and application.

As a general example, pistons are quite often matched, and must be replaced as a set to preserve the engine balance. Less common, a piston may be matched to its connecting rod- the two being machined as an assembly to tighter tolerances than either by itself. Likewise, the crank shaft, flywheel, and crank pulley can be further optimized. These preceding examples would lend themselves to the 02' Type R you originally inquired about per their press release.

Component balancing is not restricted to considerations of mechanical balance alone. It is vital, for example, that the compression ratio and valve timing of each cylinder should be closely matched, for optimum balance and performance. Many components affect this balance- so often the engine builder has many different tolerances to consider, each affecting another.

On the extreme end, as in the case of some of the highly over-engineered formula motors... these advanced software aided designs model every single motion assembly as a complete system during design. Manufacturing stock, tolerances, and metallurgical analysis are cutting edge top-end, inspection is manually via microscope, then finally using data loggers with ridiculously high sample rates they finally ensure everything is to spec during break-in prior to delivery. Frankly.. they have little in common with a B&B production engine like the Type R due to the extreme differences in requirements, processes, and cost.

On the other hand, the proceeding step- blueprinting has more often come to refer to the actual process of bringing the block back into design specification. More technically per reference it is "The re-machining of components to tighter tolerances to achieve better engine balance." Ideally, blueprinting is performed on components removed from the production line before normal balancing and finishing. That would have been the case with the Honda Type R. They would have gotten diverted off the line prior at the factory in order to undergo this further process prior to being delivered to the build room.

Relevant to tuners- generally if finished components are blueprinted, there is the risk that the further removal of material will weaken the factory component. However, lightening components is generally an advantage in itself provided balance and adequate strength are both maintained, and more precise machining done properly will typically strengthen a part by removing stress points, so in many cases performance tuners and racers are able to work with these finished components. Knife-edging the crank shaft or polishing other internals would be but one example.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Balancing is the process of matching individual components during manufacturing.. machining parts to ensure that the items have a high degree of spacial stability and that the masses are matched among internals. As a general rule, in most engines some individual components will be matched as a set to some extent. Exactly which components are matched is strictly a function of the design of the engine and application.

As a general example, pistons are quite often matched, and must be replaced as a set to preserve the engine balance.
In case you are wondering how they can match them... I was discussing this at the track with a friend who was competing with a Neon ACR. When assembling his engine, they took a dozen pistons and measured them, then used the four that were most equal in weight, etc.

Hi, Ive searched around a bit and Im going to go out on a limb and swallow my pride and just ask: what exactly is engine blueprinting?:confused:

Don't feel bad...I bought my rebuilt tranny with short gears/final drive "fully blueprinted" from SOS and had no idea what this meant...but it sure sounded like a good thing and if SOS did it, it had to be good. :biggrin:

thankyou everyone. Very informative posts from everyone. except feetfxr i guess. but you got me to laugh, so thank you too. haha :biggrin:

Back