What is APPLE planning?

Is the actual address correct and it puts the mark on the wrong location on the map? Or is the address info incorrect to begin with?

Right address, wrong pin drop. What's strange is I feel like the directions are then directed to that exact pin-drop location which will definitely get you lost or take you out of your way.

I did however use the maps to get me to my cousin's place in Pasadena with no issues. I live in Irvine which is about 50 miles away. It even got me to a location in Corona properly.

In summary:
Long distance = good
Short distance = horrible

I for one would have been just fine if Apple kept the thickness the same as the 4/4S and used the extra space for more battery capacity.

Saw the 5 for the first time in the flesh this weekend. Absolutely beautiful piece of art/engineering. White or black, both color combos looked stunning. The fit and finish are like that of a Rolex.

-J

The Maps are defintely bad.

My wife got her iPhone 5 yesterday and she just txt me to say the battery life sux. Anyone else find the battery life isnt as good?

After reading more about the battery issue it appears that some have benefitted by "recalibrating" the battery meter as it may be that the meter is inaccurate rather than the battery actually be diminished.

Calibrate iPhone Battery:
Use the iPhone until it it shuts OFF itself, due to Low Battery. Then Charge it back up without interruption, like unplugging it, to full charge 100%. Then before or after you do this, Reset iPhone, hold both home and power buttons until the iPhone restarts itself, ignore the "slide to power off slider", let the iPhone restart itself.

Right address, wrong pin drop. What's strange is I feel like the directions are then directed to that exact pin-drop location which will definitely get you lost or take you out of your way.

I did however use the maps to get me to my cousin's place in Pasadena with no issues. I live in Irvine which is about 50 miles away. It even got me to a location in Corona properly.

In summary:
Long distance = good
Short distance = horrible

Hopefully since the address is correct, the programmers will be able to recalibrate the map location.

I wonder why it apparently only occurs on certain POIs?

Perhaps since they aggregated data from various sources the coordinates of one of those sources was slightly "off".

I'm following up with, after a week:

-I've never been given an inaccurate map location yet. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but my old app did it occasionally too.

-my battery life is identical to the 4S, which was slightly less than the 4

Hopefully since the address is correct, the programmers will be able to recalibrate the map location.

I wonder why it apparently only occurs on certain POIs?

Perhaps since they aggregated data from various sources the coordinates of one of those sources was slightly "off".

No clue why its so badly off.

Example:

photo-8.png

Even the other restaurant is incorrectly labeled in Apple Maps.

That's a bit of a stretch, but it does look nice. Unfortunately a lot of people are complaining how easily it is scratching. Very unrolex like.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/09/thanks-to-scuffgate-ill-never-purchase-a-black-iphone-5-again

We went and get a case immediately, so hopefully we have no scratch issues.

My wifes iPhone 4 still looks brand new. Time to sell it. :)

I got a 16 White from Apple on launch day: came flawless

Then bought 2 32 Whites from Best Buy: each had flaws (one scuff and one tiny dent). I exchanged one (they only let me do one) and the other one came with its own flaws (tiny chip in the bezel).

Seems to be luck of the draw, unless 32s are manufactured on a different line or different plant. Or 3rd party retailers get some other supply.

Then bought 2 32 Whites from Best Buy: each had flaws (one scuff and one tiny dent). I exchanged one (they only let me do one) and the other one came with its own flaws (tiny chip in the bezel).

Seems to be luck of the draw, unless 32s are manufactured on a different line or different plant. Or 3rd party retailers get some other supply.

Probably cause Best Buy employees open them up to check them out.

Why wouldn't they let you exchange a flawed device?? I would be pissed.

I just got some strange lines on the screen. Looked like a glitch. Anyone else see this?

Last dig at Apple Maps, promise!

I think everything that needs to be said about Apple Maps has already been said, but this parody is just too funny to not post:

original.jpg

Flew into Knoxville for business and tried using nav. Horrible experience. It actually tried to guide me through the airport fuel hold station which is obviously gated up and highly off limits. Also tried again today by asking Siri to get me to Wasabi resturaunt. It had no idea what I was looking for, no matter how I looked it up.

Garbage.:mad:

That's a bit of a stretch, but it does look nice. Unfortunately a lot of people are complaining how easily it is scratching. Very unrolex like.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/09/thanks-to-scuffgate-ill-never-purchase-a-black-iphone-5-again

We went and get a case immediately, so hopefully we have no scratch issues.

My wifes iPhone 4 still looks brand new. Time to sell it. :)

Even a Rolex watch bracelet will scratch if you wear it every day. Take a look at the bracelet clasp. It will pick up swirl marks over time just like any other metallic object. The Rolex crystal on the other hand is made of sapphire just like the iPhone 5 camera lens and is highly scratch resistant.

The iPhone 5 is made of aluminum. Obviously it is a soft metal and even with the anodizing it is not going to be as tough as 316L or 904L stainless steel.

I put a $4 bumper case from monoprice.com on mine which serves multiple purposes. It keeps the screen/ back from touching my table/desk surface when I set the phone down and it protects the black anodized aluminum outer band. The bumper adds minimal weight and minimal bulk to the phone compared to most other cases out there.

8022239196_d6b74aaf4b.jpg
[/url]

Flew into Knoxville for business and tried using nav. Horrible experience. It actually tried to guide me through the airport fuel hold station which is obviously gated up and highly off limits. Also tried again today by asking Siri to get me to Wasabi resturaunt. It had no idea what I was looking for, no matter how I looked it up.

Yeah. Siri has a tough time with non-English words. I asked Siri to find "Ichiban" restaurant and it translated that into "Itchy Bonds".

But if I type "Ichiban" directly into the Maps app it pulls it up right away and plots out the correct route.

I don't regard this as a major problem as I can't expect Siri to be able to differentiate foreign words.

So far I havent had any issues with incorrect addresses or POIs in my area.

Last edited:

This is not an isolated problem. It is apparent that Foxconn is having issues with their production line and is putting out a considerable number of phones with cosmetic blemishes.

Perhaps you would have better luck getting a replacement at your nearest Apple store.

This is not an isolated problem. It is apparent that Foxconn is having issues with their production line and is putting out a considerable number of phones with cosmetic blemishes.

That's completely unacceptable, and not up to Apple standards. When you buy a brand new product, it should never be damaged. This is particularly true when paying so much for a premium product.

It's also unacceptable that Best Buy won't take it back. I would have raised holy hell...

Sounds like they are working on it.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/05/apple...-maps-app-problem-reports-adding-new-imagery/

Maybe submitting bug reports for the errors you saw will get them fixed faster. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I used the nav to get around in SF and it worked great, but that is Apple's back yard of course.

Finally a reporter from the AP chose to write an article about Apple's new Maps without "jumping on the bandwagon"...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2012/10/05/review-apple-android-maps-app/1615707/

Regarding the new Maps app:
As complaints about it trickled in and Apple's CEO apologized, I was left wondering whether people were using the same app I was.

And this was my impression all along as well:
I know many people will disagree with me, but I even find it an improvement over the old app on iPhones because I now get voice navigation and automatic re-routing.

Regarding the old Google powered Maps App:
But that one didn't have voice navigation or automatic re-routing. Driving with it meant swiping through pages of on-screen directions.

A drive from Ann Arbor to Lansing, Mich., took 17 steps, each with its own page. After Step 9, I had to pull into a rest stop to memorize subsequent steps and avoid an accident.

Conclusion:
Clinging to the old, voiceless app is like hanging on to your cassette tapes while the world has moved on to CDs and digital downloads. I can't imagine driving without hearing voices.

Finally a reporter from the AP chose to write an article about Apple's new Maps without "jumping on the bandwagon"...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2012/10/05/review-apple-android-maps-app/1615707/

Regarding the new Maps app:

And this was my impression all along as well:

Regarding the old Google powered Maps App:

Conclusion:
It's not really jumping on the bandwagon when the product clearly isn't very good. I am glad you find it works well though. Maybe there is hope for the rest of us.

It's not really jumping on the bandwagon when the product clearly isn't very good. I am glad you find it works well though. Maybe there is hope for the rest of us.

What I liked about the way this article was written was that they acknowledged that the old iOS app powered by Google was never a true navigation app. It was just a map. Most of the articles out there simply ignore this fact.

There was NEVER a built in turn by turn voice navigation app in iOS. If you wanted voice navi for driving you had to go with a third party app.

This is why I didn't use the old Maps app and why I spent $$ for the Navigon iOS app on my iPhone 4. The old Maps app was USELESS as a standalone navigation tool. Sure you could plot out a course before you leave and study the map but if the directions were going to be that simple one wouldn't need a navi anyway!

Certainly texting and driving is dangerous, but how much more dangerous is it to have to keep glancing down and scrolling in the old Maps app while driving?!? Perhaps a larger 8.5x11" map printout with the route traced with yellow highlighter would be safer than having to keep looking down and refocusing on the tiny written instructions at the bottom of the screen on the old Maps app...

Now with the new iOS6 Maps app powered by TomTom there is finally FREE voice turn-by-turn navi in iOS.

Is it better than the voice navi Google Maps App on Android? No. But again iOS never had THAT app. This is precisely what most of the other articles neglect. The writers probably dont realize this because they never used the old Maps app!

Comparing the old iOS maps app to the new app is like comparing an old AAA Triptik flip book (remember those?) to a TomTom GPS.

And for those who were lamenting the loss of the old iOS Maps app Street View functionality, starting this week you can get it on the web version of the Google Maps (maps.google.com on your iPhone's browser).

As far as POI's are concerned I've entered literally 50-60 POIs around my area into the new iOS6 app on my iPhone 5 and the old iOS5 app on my iPad. The only inaccuracies I've seen in my area with the new iOS6 app are:
1) Shops in a mall where the pin is dropped in the parking lot or on the edge of the street where the physical address indicates rather than the actual store inside the mall.
2) Two pins adjacent to one another for a single business listing. One for the actual front entrance and the other for the business' parking lot down the block.

Actually while doing my comparison testing I found a significant mapping error on the old Google powered iOS app where it pinned my Country Club as being in a forested area adjacent to the golf course and plotting out driving directions into a neighborhood BEHIND the course. This route would bring me closest to this forest but nowhere in the viscinity of the actual Clubhouse or parking lot.

Meanwhile the new iOS6 app correctly pinned the clubhouse and gave directions right to the parking lot. This club has been at this location for well over 20 years.

(Or perhaps the Google maps was predicting the future and was showing me where my sliced tee shot was going to end up!)

Last edited:
That's completely unacceptable, and not up to Apple standards. When you buy a brand new product, it should never be damaged. This is particularly true when paying so much for a premium product.

It's also unacceptable that Best Buy won't take it back. I would have raised holy hell...

Looks like the iPhone 5 is the straw that broke Foxconn's back...

There's a massive strike at Foxconn today, but for once it's not over living conditions or pay. As China Labor Watch reports, it's because Apple has finally asked its factory workers to tilt at too large a windmill.

It was reported that factory management and Apple, despite design defects, raised strict quality demands on workers, including indentations standards of 0.02mm and demands related to scratches on frames and back covers. With such demands, employees could not even turn out iPhones that met the standard.

I'm thinking slate anodized aluminum may not have been the best choice for the iPhone case material... I predict carbon fiber for the next design...

Last edited:
What I liked about the way this article was written was that they acknowledged that the old iOS app powered by Google was never a true navigation app. It was just a map. Most of the articles out there simply ignore this fact.)

Anyone who doesn't realize that is a moron. It was just a map, but a very good map. I don't really need turn by turn nav in my phone since I have a tom tom in the nsx, but I am sure it might come in handy one day.

It apple had just layer a navigation app over google maps, I am sure people would have been happy. I still think they should have waited to release apple maps until it was ready, or release as a beta along side google maps and let people help them fix it until it is ready for prime time.

The 3d maps is awesome, but its just a toy.

Back