what is a fair price for a 2002 NSX?

Never been hit/retouched, services/tires/clutch/, warranty, PPI etc............then we can answer your question, until then, too many variables, maybe you can post some pictures too

Right now there are four 2002 NSX-T six-speeds on Autotrader with under 10K miles. Three are listed by dealers with ASKING prices of $70K and one by a private party with an ASKING price of $65K. People usually expect to negotiate down from the asking price by 5-10 percent.

Based on this, I would say that an average SELLING price (not asking price) is low to mid sixties, a killer price would be under $60K, and a ripoff price would be $70K or more.

This assumes that the car is in immaculate condition, has had maintenance done on time (including the full 30K service which is due after two years), and passes a PPI.

RPM217 mentions a warranty. Any 2002 with under 10K miles should still be under the original manufacturer's warranty.

I would guess you should easily find an 02' for well under $60k.

There were two listings on Prime a couple of months ago asking $59.9k (13k miles) and $54.9k ($32k miles). You should be able to negotiate from the asking price I would think. It is amazing how quickly late model NSX's depreciate.

If I could do it again, I would have bought a used 02 versus new and saved the $25k. For what its worth, my local Porsche dealer offered me $65k for my 04' in trade towards a GT3.

Good luck in your search.

CerberusM5 said:
I would guess you should easily find an 02' for well under $60k.

There were two listings on Prime a couple of months ago asking $59.9k (13k miles) and $54.9k ($32k miles).
He is looking for one with under 10K miles. Just because you can get a high-mileage car for a lower price, doesn't mean that you can do the same for a car with below-average miles.

nsxtasy said:
He is looking for one with under 10K miles. Just because you can get a high-mileage car for a lower price, doesn't mean that you can do the same for a car with below-average miles.

Ken,
I agree that the one with 32k miles is definitely on the high side, but the other one with 13k miles is close to his requirements. These figures are just marker points as we all know. Trust me, I wish 02's were going for $70k in the resale market, that would bode well for us 04' owners.

By the way, how is the weather in Chicagoland?

CerberusM5 said:
how is the weather in Chicagoland?
This has been an odd winter. We had a couple of big snows in January. Since then, though, we've had hardly any (a dusting here or there), and the big storms that have hit the Northeast in February and March have bypassed us. It's been cold, though; last week the high temperatures were 10-15 degrees below normal, and that's expected to last through the end of this week, too, maybe more. Two weeks of severely below normal temperatures! It just seems like winter is hanging on longer than usual (high temperatures in the upper twenties to mid thirties, when the normal highs are in the mid to upper forties). Once this cold spell ends and we start having our normal temperatures here, it's going to suddenly seem much warmer.

April through October here, it's absolutely delightful most of the time. (Which is why our track events are scheduled for those months. My first event is four weeks from now.) March and November are transition months, when there are normally some nice days mixed in with some colder ones.

CerberusM5 said:
For what its worth, my local Porsche dealer offered me $65k for my 04' in trade towards a GT3.

Good luck in your search.

which means you can sell it for $70k+ on your own?

by the way what is cerberus?

nsxtasy said:
Right now there are four 2002 NSX-T six-speeds on Autotrader with under 10K miles. Three are listed by dealers with ASKING prices of $70K and one by a private party with an ASKING price of $65K. People usually expect to negotiate down from the asking price by 5-10 percent.

Based on this, I would say that an average SELLING price (not asking price) is low to mid sixties, a killer price would be under $60K, and a ripoff price would be $70K or more.

This assumes that the car is in immaculate condition, has had maintenance done on time (including the full 30K service which is due after two years), and passes a PPI.

RPM217 mentions a warranty. Any 2002 with under 10K miles should still be under the original manufacturer's warranty.

good analysis. Thank you:)

supra2nv said:

I don't know what I could sell it for myself. I would bet high $60s, possibly $70k if I were lucky, but then again I have not tried to sell it privately.

Cerberus is character from Greek mythology. He is a ferocious three headed dog that guarded Hades, the gateway to the underworld.

An 02 Long Beach Blue with 55k was just sold for about $54k.... Sounds like alot of $$$. A good 02 should be worth mid $60's IMO

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
An 02 Long Beach Blue with 55k was just sold for about $54k.... Sounds like alot of $$$. A good 02 should be worth mid $60's IMO

That's also a lot of miles.

supra2nv said:

You've got to be careful when there's a trade-in involved, especially when purchasing an exotic and especially when (if) there is a dealer mark-up. You know that they'll put some money in your pocket with one hand and then do the "reach around" and take it right back out of your other pocket !!! :biggrin:

If you pay 110 for a new car and get 65 for your trade-in, would you be better off paying 120 for the new one and getting 75 for the old one ???

Nooooooo !!! So "quotes" on trade-ins need to be examined a bit more thoroughly. :wink:

Interesting note: Earlier in this thread (about 6 weeks ago) Cerberus said "I don't know what I could sell it for myself. I would bet high $60s, possibly $70k if I were lucky, but then again I have not tried to sell it privately"

He's just listed it for sale here for $73K. :wink:

Biggest problem in a market for limited availability items IS the limited availability of the items. That's why, e.g. Kelly Blue Book, et all, are useless for these kinds of cars.

However, the "glut" of cars DOES bring the price down a bit, right ? More "supply", fewer buyers = lower price, no ?

Recent examples........

Cerberus '04, 6800 miles, here on Prime, asking $73
Steven's Creek '04 Orange, brand new, asked $72.5 (Don't know about "sold")
NJ used '04 Orange (3K miles ?), here on Prime, asking $79K
Long Island, new '04 Silver, asking $75K

Soooooo, a good example of an '02 should go for what again ??? :wink:

Anyway, good luck in your search. I'm lookin' too ! :wink:

supra2nv said:
along the same lines, why are there soooo many NSX's for sale now? seems like everyone is getting rid of them? just wondering because I am about to pull the trigger on one.

Jack

Spring is when the BUYERS come out ! Makes sense the sellers would as well, no ? :wink:

supra2nv said:
what color are you looking for? I will keep an eye out.

Thanks for the offer.

Imola Orange.

2nd choice - Blue.

3rd choice - Yellow.

But when looking for an exotic car like the NSX it's VERY tough to "settle", isn't it ?:wink:

think the current NSX will hold its value if the new HSC comes out? I guess it will depend on the pricing and caliber of the HSC. But what do you guys think would happen in either scenario (i.e. $50k HSC or $100k HSC).

Jack

NSX-GUY said:
Thanks for the offer.

Imola Orange.

2nd choice - Blue.

3rd choice - Yellow.

But when looking for an exotic car like the NSX it's VERY tough to "settle", isn't it ?:wink:

I like blue the most out of your "wild" color choices. I will keep an eye out. I see LOTS of yellow, and they are usually less expensive than other colors.

Jack

I think 90% it will be in the lower 100K range. If they're going for the 50K range, then they might kill their other product line of cars from the Honda and Acura side...because everyone will buy one. ie....why buy a nice looking new TL for 40K when you can get a new HSC for 50K?

just my 2 cents....

supra2nv said:
think the current NSX will hold its value if the new HSC comes out? I guess it will depend on the pricing and caliber of the HSC. But what do you guys think would happen in either scenario (i.e. $50k HSC or $100k HSC).

Jack

vtec888 said:
I think 90% it will be in the lower 100K range. If they're going for the 50K range, then they might kill their other product line of cars from the Honda and Acura side...because everyone will buy one. ie....why buy a nice looking new TL for 40K when you can get a new HSC for 50K?

just my 2 cents....

completely different car though. TL is a 4 door 5 seater, NSX is just an impractical fun car. I dont see any canibalization in their other product line if they priced the car in the $50k range. Look at what the old 300ZX ($50k) and the new 350zx ($30k) did. Just got cheaper to be able to sell more cars. Hummer H1 and H2 is another example.

Profit is the bottom line, and manufacturers would rather build a car in a way to increase cash flows. I seriously doubt they make money on the current NSX. It's just an ego thing at this point. It is just cool to own such a rare (200+ sold a year) hand built exotic which costs the same as an accord to maintain (repair costs more;)).

In my opinion, if the HSC is as rare as the current car and priced at $100k +, it will support the NSX resale.

If the HSC is built for $50ish K and rare as the current car then it will definitely hurt the NSX resale.

If the HSC is built for $50ish K and a dime a dozen, bodes well for the NSX resale.

Just want to gauge others opinions.

supra2nv said:

Jack

This subject's been discussed before. *I* tried it a short time ago.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48970

Back