What I was told by the dealer

Yesterday I took a friend to an Acura dealership to get a new TL when one of the fleet guys started asking about my NSX. We talked for it a bit then I asked him do you know any details of the new one cause all the info seems to be on the hush. He said he went out to CO (I think it was CO) to test out the new RDX a few weeks ago and was told it will be a front enging configuration, and that it was going to be built to compete with the Skyline and other cars in that class. He also said that it is going to be an SH with all wheel drive and that they are going to price it "way below" the previous one. He said the last version was losing so much money and this time they are going to try to sell a much higher volume. I thought that was pretty interesting.

apamin said:
Yesterday I took a friend to an Acura dealership to get a new TL when one of the fleet guys started asking about my NSX. We talked for it a bit then I asked him do you know any details of the new one cause all the info seems to be on the hush. He said he went out to CO (I think it was CO) to test out the new RDX a few weeks ago and was told it will be a front enging configuration, and that it was going to be built to compete with the Skyline and other cars in that class. He also said that it is going to be an SH with all wheel drive and that they are going to price it "way below" the previous one. He said the last version was losing so much money and this time they are going to try to sell a much higher volume. I thought that was pretty interesting.

And I think I need to get some boots, beacuse I think he was just blowing steam up your @$$, NOTHING AGAINST YOU. Just everytime lately I go NEAR an Acura dealer in the "X," they fill us NSX owners with heresay and garbage they have no idea about IMO jus' to impress us. I would say the man to ask is Joe from SOS who went to Japan to work, before some schmuck at the dealer jus' tryin' to impress us.

Yeah, they are going to price a 10 cylinder SH-AWD super car well below the cost of the current NSX. Makes sense to me. :rolleyes: Or maybe, just maybe, Honda is working on 2 seperate platforms.... just maybe.

Ditto - I could roll a sleeping bumb on the street and get better information about the NSX then an Acura salesman. They don't even understand the production models they have on the showroom floor let alone top secret information from Honda in Japan.

I was at the local dealer here in St Louis today to help my buddy look at some TSXs. He was looking at an 04 and the salesman tried to sell him an 06. He told him the 06 has a way more HP.

I said - not true - the 04 has 200 and the 06 has 205. He said it was not apples to apples since Acura changed their HP calculations this year from the crank HP to the wheel HP so the new one actually produces around 230 at the crank.

:eek:

Sucks the things they say assuming people are idiots. In what other industry can your sales people know any less about their products then car sales?

:rolleyes:

Well the only thing that comes up in each thread is the front engine layout. So that seems to be a fact. Notice we haven't heard anymore about a V10 though.

WingZ said:
Well the only thing that comes up in each thread is the front engine layout. So that seems to be a fact. Notice we haven't heard anymore about a V10 though.

What you call fact I call wild speculation and unconfirmed rumor.

:wink:

If I was a betting man I bet mid engine. I find it much more realistic to see a front engine RL with the v10 and a mid engine NSX with the v10 they appear to be building then 2 front engine Acuras with a v10.

WingZ said:

We haven't heard anything from Honda in a while. The only official statements we have confirm the NSX legacy and a V-10; the fact that it is an official statement makes me believe that more than ANYTHING else anyone says including the car mags, dealers and supposed "insiders" in the design room.

"NSX replacement" sells magazines and that's what they are calling these rumors looking like a RL Type-R basically.

The dual platform idea sounds so much more logical to me. And just because it will be the new Acura flagship doesn't mean it is the "NSX replacement." It means it's the flagship replacement--that's it.

NSXGMS said:
We haven't heard anything from Honda in a while. The only official statements we have confirm the NSX legacy and a V-10; the fact that it is an official statement makes me believe that more than ANYTHING else anyone says including the car mags, dealers and supposed "insiders" in the design room.

"NSX replacement" sells magazines and that's what they are calling these rumors looking like a RL Type-R basically.

The dual platform idea sounds so much more logical to me. And just because it will be the new Acura flagship doesn't mean it is the "NSX replacement." It means it's the flagship replacement--that's it.

Wasn't the NSX their flagship? We know their not replacing the RL.

matteni said:
What you call fact I call wild speculation and unconfirmed rumor.

:wink:

If I was a betting man I bet mid engine. I find it much more realistic to see a front engine RL with the v10 and a mid engine NSX with the v10 they appear to be building then 2 front engine Acuras with a v10.

Facts tend to change ask any scientist. I'm hoping as much as the rest of you that it's a true NSX replacement ,but Hondas really being enigmatic on this one.

matteni said:
Ditto - I could roll a sleeping bumb on the street and get better information about the NSX then an Acura salesman. They don't even understand the production models they have on the showroom floor let alone top secret information from Honda in Japan.

:rolleyes:

ROFL :biggrin:

matteni said:
Ditto - I could roll a sleeping bumb on the street and get better information about the NSX then an Acura salesman.
That was you that woke me up?

I bet that there have been some dummy leaks sent out. I can't imagine the 2nd gen NSX to be anything but another big advancement, thus they don't want to let the cat out of the bag. My bet is also mid engine. That's not to say they won't roll something out that is less expensive and front engine, but it won't be the gen-2 NSX.

WingZ said:
Wasn't the NSX their flagship? We know their not replacing the RL.

This "NSX replacement" that all the car mags and dealers are touting (a front-engined GT type car) is essentially an RL mutation. With no NSX it would most certainly become the new flagship, especially with a V-10. Therefore it's replacing the NSX as flagship. Not replacing the NSX.

Yawn.... :rolleyes:

This thread would be a lot more interesting if people would post some more stupid things that dealers tell them!

Like the HP story matteni told above!... :biggrin:

AU_NSX said:
Yawn.... :rolleyes:
This thread would be a lot more interesting if people would post some more stupid things that dealers tell them!
Like the HP story matteni told above!... :biggrin:

Ok, so one time the dealer (we'll leave out what kinda' dealership I was at, but it starts with H and ends in ONDA) told me I could trade my NSX in for a NEW S2000:eek:, WOW, ok and how much money will I get paid in return?

Here's the ringer, I would trade my nsx and have to finance "ONLY $18,000."

:biggrin:

And then he told me to find a leprican at the end of the rainbow, if I wanted a straight up even trade:eek:,

ONLY KIDDING :biggrin: (about that part, the rest was true though)

btcog82 said:
Ok, so one time the dealer (we'll leave out what kinda' dealership I was at, but it starts with H and ends in ONDA) told me I could trade my NSX in for a NEW S2000:eek:, WOW, ok and how much money will I get paid in return?

I was told the same thing once as well. I told him it would take at least two new S2000's for my NSX, and even then I would have to mull over the idea since I don't fit in them too well.

NSXGMS said:
This "NSX replacement" that all the car mags and dealers are touting (a front-engined GT type car) is essentially an RL mutation. With no NSX it would most certainly become the new flagship, especially with a V-10. Therefore it's replacing the NSX as flagship. Not replacing the NSX.

< NSX successor >
We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor.

There's no mention of where the engine would be placed so apparently Honda feels a sucessors engine placement is not a mandate. Hence the NSX replacement would not only be their flagship ,but also the NSX's replacement as their sportscar. I see your logic if the new car would be based off of the RL ,but I don't think the RL could even hold a V10 so a new platform would be necessary. Once again a replacement/sucessor for the NSX:biggrin:

FOR FUN - I think it would be cool if NSXPrime would setup some sort of page so we can go on record for what we each believe is going to happen. Kinda a friendly "told you so" page ;P

I'd personally like to go on record that I think it'll be a midengine. Front-engine I believe is misinformation being put out to throw everyone off. I believe thats the case because of HOW MANY sources are claiming it to be frontengine when honda has made no official confession of this - unless I missed something. People are talking like Honda has come out and layed out all the specs, I think its all just bull. Leave front-engine conservatively styled speedy cars to bmw and aston martin... I want my precisely tuned japanese steel to remain a midengine exotic.

.jeremy

WingZ said:
There's no mention of where the engine would be placed so apparently Honda feels a sucessors engine placement is not a mandate. Hence the NSX replacement would not only be their flagship ,but also the NSX's replacement as their sportscar. I see your logic if the new car would be based off of the RL ,but I don't think the RL could even hold a V10 so a new platform would be necessary. Once again a replacement/sucessor for the NSX:biggrin:

Of course the current RL would not be the platform. I'm just using RL as the general formulaic example for the new car.:smile:

As an NSX owner I'd feel cheated if Honda decided to set its sights on front engined (against F1 technology) designs and tried to pass it off as an NSX successor.

Simply put, a front engined car does not carry on the legacy of the NSX and F1. I'm not suggesting it will be crap--I'm suggesting it should be evaluated based on its own merits--not compared to the NSX.

Even if it's faster than the Z07--it's not the NSX replacement. It's a hell of a car but we must come to understand the NSX is dead. This is Honda's new product and they took a different approach with all new technology and R & D. Maybe I'll buy one. Maybe it's faster, more comfortable, more reliable or easier to drive than the original NSX. Maybe it's better in every measurable way than the original NSX. But it is not the new NSX.

Anyways, there are many options to choose from in the FE luxury-sports market. I'll always see a FE V-10 Honda as a shot at the 599GTB or Vanquish. I don't think Honda will raise the bar too much in this realm.

To call it the NSX replacement is blasphemy, IMO. Flagship replacement, new super sports car, call it whatever. But don't call it the NSX replacement. That's an insult to anyone who ever owned an NSX. Just because Honda has a new flagship and it's a sports car does not make it an NSX successor.

BTW, the term "super sports car" tends to suggest an NSX replacement to me. Or at least when that statement was made.:rolleyes:

Back