What happens when you crash your car at the track?

I was curious about this... I planned to have some fun improving my skills on a track with my NSX. I then got to thinking, what if I push too hard and end up in the grass or worse a wall!? What happens then? I've heard one of many things...

1. S.O.L.
2. Track insurance for the day?
3. Most tracks do not TIME the laps, so it should not hurt/void your coverage?...

I wanted to know how it really works because I have seen plenty of cars crash on Youtube and in person!

I was curious about this... I planned to have some fun improving my skills on a track with my NSX. I then got to thinking, what if I push too hard and end up in the grass or worse a wall!? What happens then? I've heard one of many things...

1. S.O.L.
3. Most tracks do not TIME the laps, so it should not hurt/void your coverage?...

I wanted to know how it really works because I have seen plenty of cars crash on Youtube and in person!

I would call your insurance company - mine told me pretty much no way in hell and that I would be SOL. Not sure who offers track insurance and neither did my insurance agency.

As I read in another thread here, there have been reports of many cars crashing right at the front gate to major motorsport tracks across North America. Never seen it personally, but I hear the final turn before the entrance has taken out many experienced drivers.

If you are just doing DE's then track insurance is going to be way too expensive. It usually is ~20% of value of car as deductible and another 3-5% in premiums. It is meant for race cars IMHO.

So you options are - SOL or hope that your co. covers you. All major US insurers have a clause now stating that any driving on track designed for competition use is a no no. I.E. - No autocrosses, no TT, no DE's etc etc. In other words - You are SOL.

BTW, I would never ever take the chance of committing fraud by reporting to the ins. co that I got into an accident just outside the track. Do you really want a felony record for this? I do know of one guy who had an incident at the track, called a tow vehicle and had it towed to a shop. He told the insurance co. that it happened on a private road and got away with it.

Most if not all the auto insurers are "catching on" to track days, HPDE, driver training, etc. and aren't insuring for accidents on the track. Many have mailed policy ammendments to policy owners stating so.

There are a few (damn few) specialty iinsurers that will cover you on the track for about a 3% premium (of agreed value) and most have around a $2,500 deductible. If you run enough events, it likely worth it or if you have one major accident, it's definitely worth it.

Talked to a guy whose turbocharged Radical SR3 burned to the ground (fuel leak they think) while on track. No insurance and he probably had $100,000 in the car. IMHO, seems for $3,000 it would ahve been a wise investment.

Feff

Not sure about Acura, but I know that Subaru is very strict about this same type of thing. They will have 'undercover' reps at major race events to record license plates and vin numbers, just in case someone should report a blown trans, engine, etc. Yeah, I'm sure the ins co's are all over it, too.

Not sure about Acura, but I know that Subaru is very strict about this same type of thing. They will have 'undercover' reps at major race events to record license plates and vin numbers, just in case someone should report a blown trans, engine, etc. Yeah, I'm sure the ins co's are all over it, too.

Ohh common are you serious?? That is a lot of money to cover those employees plus who would pay that. I don't think each individual dealership would like to fork out money for that. Besides aren't those damn things built for rally racing? You would think they could take a little punishment. I guess they don't build them like the used to.

Talked to a guy whose turbocharged Radical SR3 burned to the ground (fuel leak they think) while on track. No insurance and he probably had $100,000 in the car. IMHO, seems for $3,000 it would ahve been a wise investment.

Yeah, after the fact it seems like a wise investment, but $3000 is a lot to spend on a day of fun looking before the incident. I mean thats a whole set of really nice wheels or 2-3 exhausts!

Yeah, after the fact it seems like a wise investment, but $3000 is a lot to spend on a day of fun looking before the incident. I mean thats a whole set of really nice wheels or 2-3 exhausts!

or maybe just 1 exhaust.. :frown: :redface: Still the best money I've spent on the car.

or, just take it easy, enjoy your car... learning it from basics and speed up gradually?? You don't have to be a time attack star at an HPDE event.

True.

If there was an extra insurance coverage that I could get for the track, I would get it and track the hell out of my car. $hit happens and Im not going to gamble 40k at the track.

You can reduce your own chance of having a mishap by choosing a hpde school in your region with strict policy/guidelines,mandatory instructers or adequate open track checkouts.then it is up to you.Plus try to choose tracks that have few if any obsticles to hit ie few guardrails/walls.

I have actually always found this topic interesting. Everyone wants racers to get off the streets and onto the tracks, I completely agree with this and honestly it is a lot more fun on the track since it's purpose built.

Interestingly enough though, most tracks will not tell you anything about what happens if you get hit or crash your car with the exception that a tow truck will be down shortly to drag whats left of your car to the pad. I think if a lot of people knew that they have NO insurance coverage once they enter a track event with their car that they would reconsider or possibly drive at the track with less aggression.

It's a irony that you can street race and be insured (as long as it's not proven that you were street racing) which is illegal and highly unsafe for everyone else around you - Please don't street race, my family and pets highly appreciate it. Or you can do the right thing and go to a track, take some great instruction, then have some person hit you at the event and your SOL.

You would think that there would be something available for those of us that want to track our cars but not race them so to speak competitively. I have yet to find it which is actually one reason why I haven't been back to the track in about a year. I love driving the track but after almost getting ran off of it by two C6-Z06 corvettes trying to pass me in the corners I threw in the towel (my wife in the car was having a blast till that point). I don't want to endanger my wife or be towing back a totaled or damaged car home not to mention trying to get the money out of someone who hit you at a track -hell, good luck, I don't even think you would stand a chance in court... Oh did I mention your medical isn't covered either unless you have a high risk policy which most people do not, it's out of pocket although the ambulance is standing by in the event of an emergency.

Maybe I'm wrong in some areas above, I've been to the track probably 10 times (Hallet in Oklahoma), it's the best thing in the world - I was really learning how far I could push the NSX (even spun off the track once - late apexed a turn and snap over steer got the best of me). The risk is just so high though without insurance coverage. If I find some reasonable coverage, I guarantee to be back at the track ASAP.

Last edited:
I agreed, thanks to the internet and the performance/affordability of recent generations of cars; HPDE is getting more and more popular. More and more younger drivers are getting ready to track their cars too; but, the recent resistance is just way too great...

Few years ago, I could join a local club for a "half day" event for $120, gas money is merely less than $30 including the commute... It's less than say.. getting a 10mph-over-speeding ticket.

Now, the cheapest rate around is $220, not to mention almost triple the gas price, car's equipment had to be more (some result from weak dollar); now also have to worry about insurance.?

1. S.O.L.

4. You finally realize that the NSX is not a go-cart and you shouldnt have put it on the track in the first place.

that is unless......

5. you have money to burn

1. S.O.L.

4. You finally realize that the NSX is not a go-cart and you shouldnt have put it on the track in the first place.

that is unless......

Sarge, I know we talked about that before... don't preach to the choirs...mmmk!? :biggrin:

Are you in AZ now or back to WA?? Will you be able to make it on the 18th shooting some pics of my car and Brian's?

I am still in WA. and arnon invited me to a car show this coming sunday. If thats what your refering to. Whats on the 18th?

what does SOL mean ?

1. S.O.L.

that is unless......

Regarding #3, this is not true. As has been pointed out earlier in the thread, most insurance policies have closed this gap in their policy coverage language.

Regarding #4, what? Only go-carts should go on tracks? I don't even know what you're trying to say here. I think it is perfectly reasonable to put an NSX on a track and also perfectly reasonable to try to mitigate your risk if possible to avoid #1/#5 in your comments above.

Re: Reality will eventually set in

and you'll realize that you have to break down and manage the risk by yourself very carefully, which is exactly what Doc said:
You can reduce your own chance of having a mishap by choosing a hpde school in your region with strict policy/guidelines,mandatory instructers or adequate open track checkouts.then it is up to you.Plus try to choose tracks that have few if any obsticles to hit ie few guardrails/walls.
In our area, Trackmasters is quite good with putting instructors in every novice car to increase the safety awareness. NCRC used to be quite good in that regard and still may be, I just haven't been out to their events in quite some time (interestingly though, I might be in their 6/21-22 Thunderhill event). I just know their events are not quite as well attended as Trackmasters.

You are also fortunate in that you can drive Thunderhill (very few walls) and Laguna (gravel traps won't let you get to the real trouble walls). So you can control your risk by avoiding Infineon until your skill, risk acceptance and bank account have all increased. And I wouldn't recommend Reno-Fernley either.

Lastly, aside from picking the track and track-mates carefully, you manage your risk lap by lap by monitoring track conditions, your tires and equipment but most importantly, your temperment and your condition etc. at each moment. Recognize and avoid the Red Mist. As I'm sure you know, Hrant bangs that drum incessantly, but I can vouch for the fact that he has followed his own advice religiously for the 9 years I've known him.

In the end, the reality is that tracking may not be for you. Good luck with your decision.

It all depends on the wording of your policy. Don't call your insurance company and ask them a general question. Chances are they don't know or you will get a general answer that does not apply to the wording of the policy you purchased.

Say you get into an accident at the track thinking you'll be covered. You file a claim and get denied with the actually wording of the policy right on the letter of denial. You call your agent to bitch and moan that they said you'd be covered. It doesn't matter. It's what's in writing.

I've actually helped a member on here with his claim after he totalled his car on a track. I got a copy of his policy and read it a few times front to back. There was absolutely no mention of anything track related in there. The claim was covered. The company was GEICO, but their policies are not the same in every state. I won't say who the member is, that's up to him if he wants to tell.

I understand that track events with an instructor are covered by insurance since it's an improvement course. Most of the times u are not allowed to pass the person in front of u.

Not always true. That's why I'm stressing to everyone to read their insurance policies. It doesn't always matter what kind of an event it is. It's all in the wording of the policy. Some insurance companies don't care and will cover it. Some companies say something like, "any timed event". So a driving course would be covered since you aren't being timed. Some companies say something like, "in practice or preperation of a race, timed event, etc..." Just be careful everyone and read their own specific policy. If you don't have one, call your agent and ask for one.

Back