What happens if I move to San Diego?

I am applying for a job in San Diego that is a bit of a long shot. However, if I do get the job I will need to be ready to move. The thing is, my NSX is slightly modified - to the tune of 700hp.

So for all you guys with modded NSXs, how do you get to keep your car on the streets in an area of our country that is so over regulated. I've seen some of your cars so I know not all of you guys are running CARB approved gear.

Will I lose my NSX if I move to CA? :redface:

Juice, it would great if you came to SoCal:smile:. My Comptech S/C is Carb approved so I can't help you there but others I'm sure will chime in soon. Good luck on the job.

After receiving a PM on this topic, I should point out that the car is a sleeper. Well, relative for being an NSX. There is no real outwardly visible signs that I'm pushing serious HP. I will have a engine cover installed. However, 20 seconds under the car will tell you all you need to know.

I will likely be keeping my home here in Ohio as a rental. How hard would it be to keep it licensed at my current address?

I know lots of people will keep their other state license plates on their cars for as long as they can. I had a neighbor who had Arizona plates on her car, (she bought the car in Arizona) just to avoid the higher fees we have. She had a friend in Arizona who's address she'd use for registrations purposes. Then, one day, a CHP officer who saw her often at the gym gave her a ticket since he knew she lived in So Cal. She had to get Cali plates then.

I think if you can keep your Ohio driver's license, you might get by with it.:confused:

Last edited:
if it takes the cop 20 secs to educate him about ur car's global warming techniques then u still have a sleeper.

My NSX exhaust will depict what's up in less than a 1 sec.

Juice, if u get the job, switch over to a SOS SC and reference the Comptech SC CARB EO#.

Visually they pass 99% of the time since the real difference is the size of the blower vs. the actual look and feel.

Sorry Bats, but that ain't gonna happen. I've got a lot of proprietary build in my NSX totalling more $ than I will admit on here. High lift cams and gears go in this month on my fully built Comptech 3.5, not to mention all the custom plumbing.

Ughhh...this is exactly why the rest of America looks at CA and shakes their head. So much opportunity repressed under legislative BS.

Sorry Bats, but that ain't gonna happen. I've got a lot of proprietary build in my NSX totalling more $ than I will admit on here. High lift cams and gears go in this month on my fully built Comptech 3.5, not to mention all the custom plumbing.

Ughhh...this is exactly why the rest of America looks at CA and shakes their head. So much opportunity repressed under legislative BS.

Counties That Require a Smog Inspection:

Alameda
Butte
Colusa
Contra Costa
Fresno
Glenn
Kern
Kings
Los Angeles
Madera
Marin
Merced
Monterey
Napa
Nevada
Orange
Sacramento
San Benito
San Francisco
San Joaquin
San Luis Obispo
San Mateo
Santa Barbara
Santa Clara
Santa Cruz
Shasta
Solano
Stanislaus
Sutter
Tehama
Tulare
Ventura
Yolo
Yuba

Note: Six counties not mentioned above require smog certifications only within certain zip codes. These include: El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Can your NSX run E85?

Yes, it sucks here. Don't move. Stay in Ohio.

I rather deal with the smog laws & earthquakes that happens much less frequently than their terrible weather that can send the most powerful of NSX back to the garage for time-out.

ohio_winter2.jpg

Ohio_WINTER_snow_wind.jpg

I think you'll only have to do CA Smog certication if your car is registered in CA. If possible I would recommend keeping your car registered in Ohio or change registration to someone in Ohio for as long as possible. There is about a 99% chance you will fail smog here in CA, unless you can find a shady Smog Tech and pay under the table. They're hard to find and are really being cracked down on.

Here are the rules for Out of State Vehicles from the CA DMV:
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm
CA DMV said:
Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.

Last edited:
Sorry Bat, I should have used one of the emoticons to project the sarcam in my comment.

To be honest, I will say I'm not a fan of those that feel they need dirty-up the air in order to have XXXhp. Solid numbers can be achieved without getting around the laws.

Last time I drove up to Big Bear and took a look west. There was a fine blanket of Brown covering the land for as far as I could see. I'm not a meteorologist, but I think clouds are supose to be white not brown.

Floyd, I don't disagree with you. It is more of the double standard that CA creates. They set their own rules for their own agendas. I'm just a peon civilian caught in the middle. Don't you see it as a bit bizarre that my car is acceptable in every single other state?

I have no intentions of making this political. Thanks Bats for the county break down. Right now there is 4" of ice covered with 6" of snow outside my door. Oh, and my power has been off for 24 hours, leaving my house at 22 degrees on the inside thanks to power lines breaking from ice.

The CA auto rules may be strict, but Ohio weather is WORSE!!

Floyd, I don't disagree with you. It is more of the double standard that CA creates. They set their own rules for their own agendas. I'm just a peon civilian caught in the middle. Don't you see it as a bit bizarre that my car is acceptable in every single other state?

I have no intentions of making this political. Thanks Bats for the county break down. Right now there is 4" of ice covered with 6" of snow outside my door. Oh, and my power has been off for 24 hours, leaving my house at 22 degrees on the inside thanks to power lines breaking from ice.

The CA auto rules may be strict, but Ohio weather is WORSE!!

I agree with u 100%.

While our "unique" state rules are uber strict, it's the weather that supercedes pretty much everything grouped together (emission laws, natural disasters, etc.)

the best time to enjoy a forced induction car is in the winter with dry roads. Both of my Supercharged cars are in steroid mode right now.

Move to CA and keep your current plates/reg. You can renew online for Ohio. I did this for about 5 years when I was in BayArea and reg from Dover, Ohio. oh! try to park your car inside or on private property when@home to avoid Leos bothering you.

PM if you have questions.

Fair enough. If it makes you feel better, when I lived in TX, I had to get my car inspected on an anual basis. Not needed here in CA. I think some of these regs are due to the population density you find in places like SoCal.

When its all said and done, the higher cost of living and all the other hassles of living here are worth it. If you have the oportunity to move I would take it. The car thing should be easy to sort out.

CA sucks when it comes to this stuff. Anyone with a crazy car is either out of state registered, smog hook up, lucky person to get 1 of 500 kit car exemptions, race car, 1975 or older, dealer plates, engine swap for smog, or just straight up illegal. Good luck with that... CA has beaten me down and I gave up a while ago.

california emission restriction sucks but it is air quality level is way better now than 10 years ago. Also it will be in the upper 70 degrees this weekend. i just turn on my solar heating for my pool.

Back