What exactly do they do in a Dealer Pre-Purchase Inspection?

Do they do compression and leakdown checks on the motor along with the other numerous checks on the car? And do most Acura dealers have on-site body shops to check for previous damage, paintwork, accidents, etc? TIA.

Originally posted by 93B18:
Do they do compression and leakdown checks on the motor along with the other numerous checks on the car?

They can. But you may need to ask them what they do. Different dealers may include different inspections as part of this service. Just ask.

do most Acura dealers have on-site body shops to check for previous damage, paintwork, accidents, etc?

Most Acura dealers in the United States do not have body shops. Some do, but most don't. I have heard that most of the dealers in Canada do.

However, any really good mechanic should be able to check for body damage, particularly if it has not been repaired properly.

Thanks for the reply nsxtasy. Do you know if they do an alignment check as well?

And what would be typical compression numbers for a used NSX. I know that's a broad question depending on year and mileage but around what kind of numbers should they be? Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by 93B18 (edited 29 January 2003).]

Do you know if they do an alignment check as well?

Again, you'll have to ask. Some dealers can do (and check) alignments, some can't, and some can do them but not if the wheels are larger than a certain size.

what would be typical compression numbers for a used NSX.

They should have them in their service manual...

...And what would be typical compression numbers for a used NSX....

Education Time: What does a "compression test" refer to? Does it mean checking to see that all the fluids, etc. are at the right pressure??

EDIT: Ahhh...found this in the FAQ:

COMPRESSION: In internal-combustion reciprocating engines, the squeezing of the fuel-air mixture in the cylinder of a spark-ignition engine or the squeezing of the air in a diesel engine. Compression makes combustion more effective and increases engine efficiency.

I assume then, it means checking to see that the fuel-air mixture is right, and that the compression process is strong.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 30 January 2003).]

nsxaholic: I found this on another site:

"A compression test will tell if you are low on compression in any of your cylinders. There are many potential problems that can cause low compression. For example, you could have a bent valve, or bad compression rings. You could have a hole in your piston or broken ring lands. All of which should require immediate attention before further damage is incurred."

Refer to this link below for more info:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/comptest/comptest.php

Back