What don't you like about the Escalade?

I don't post as much on Prime as most of you do but I do lurk around numerous times daily. Reason for the about statement is that I've done a search on this topic and have read more than 10 threads regarding your point of views towards the Cadillac Escalade. Surprisingly, a lot of you don't like the SUV.

I've been looking around for an SUV for a while now. From low budget ones like Scion xB, Honda Element to higher budgets H2, Range Rover, Escalade and Porsche Cayenne. I've test drove all of the above except for the xB and came to a conclusion of what I want, that is, a comfortable luxurious ride. In terms of class and build quality, I like the Escalade the best. When I said "class" I didn't mean it to be judged by only the price tag. We all know the Porsche badge is like an above-all and the Range Rover reputation. However, they both seem to lack the classiness of a Cadillac. Personally, I didn't like Amercian cars or even consider buying one until recently. It's becoming more and more clear to me why a lot of rich men prefer the American luxury rides over European. For example, Bvlgari's garage consists of tons of Buicks but no Ferraris nor Lamboghinis in sight.

Back to my impressions on the competitors on my list. The H2 is a great SUV, it handles and corners a lot better than I expected. Moreover, it's not hard at all to get used to the width of the vehicle, just a couple minutes of driving and I could cut through traffic at ease. My biggest complaint to the H2 is the interior, for a 50+k car, they could do a lot better than plastic. The seats are nice and comfortable but it's too comfortable IMO that I don't feel much support. The leather used isn't stiff enough. The one I test drove only had 300 miles on it and the seats were already deformed and shaped into the people who were driving it.

For the Range Rover, everything's great. I like the styling of it a lot which some of you don't. The only down side is the experience at the dealership. *side-story* The salesman is just a complete dick, rude and pushy. First, he asked which vehicle I'm interested in. I told him the Range Rover and he asked again if it was the Free Lander or the Land Rover I'm looking for. No, I told him, it's the Range that I like and he immediately asked if I've looked at the windows sticker. I was like WTF (of course I didn't say it out) and told him, well yeah, 73k, so? I drive 2 cars and I bought them right off without financing either. He asked which two and I told him the Mini and the X. He was like, the NSX? They still make them? At that point, I was already walking out of the dealership. I don't like to do business with ignorant, two faced salesmen. Just because I look young and wasn't dressed well, the prejudgemental POS immediately thought I couldn't afford one? Go figure. *side-story ends* Back to the car, it IS really nice but it's just too similar to the X5 for obvious reasons. The pros of BMW driving experience also makes itself a con. They are known for precision handling, not for comfort.

The Porsche Cayenne is no different. Don't get me wrong, the salesmen are great mainly because I bought a couple cars from them before. Even so, the first time I walked into the dealership, I didn't get the condescending looks from them at all. The Cayenne is okay IMHO. It's not comfortable at all. I understand it's a breakthough to have an SUV to do mid 5s for 0-60 but that's not what I want.

The Escalade's performance is no Cayenne and the handling is not crisp like the Bimmers. However, in overall comfort, I feel just right. There's this classiness in American cars that you can't find else where. On the other hand, whether some people would disagree, the Escalade is quite a trendy and fashionable car (after some make-overs) just like the H2. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I give the Caddy a big thumbs up.

If I wanted a luxury vehicle, I'd buy a four door sedan, not a big, lumbering SUV. No use wasting $$$$ on a drivetrain that I'll never have a need for.

Remember, you were soliciting opinions. :) That was simply mine.

-Randy

P.S. You'll notice that my signature lists a Suburban. I had an Odyssey. Miss it dearly. :( But I needed 7 "adult" seating positions. So I got a 2WD 'Burb. Notice I didn't get the Yukon or Denali or Escalade.

One of the main reasons I'm not considering a luxury sedan is because I don't look good driving one. I'm talking about 7 series and S-classes (5 series and E-classes are simply not big enough). Only 3 types of people look good driving them, chauffeurs, fathers and the mafia, I don't fall in any of the categories. Looking good in one and driving one are totally different things. Therefore, an SUV came into mind for a buyer like me, something looks sporty (although it's not) and high off ground (not bad for a change every once in awhile).

Well, you do seem to have your reasons why you would want an SUV, then. And since they are your own thought out opinions, then they're 100% valid.

However, there's no escaping the fact that Escalades now have an image stuck to them. I'm sure the guys over at Cadillac five years ago never expected to see their SUVs splattered all over MTV shows like Cribs and magazines like DUB and the like. But then again, I'm sure they don't mind selling those thing to whomever decides to drop the green. And it's that image that I don't want to be tagged with.

Then again, maybe it's just a SoCal thing. I see way too many of them over here with bling-bling wheels and a single thirty something occupant.

Now, all that aside, I think they look okay. I particularly like the flares and the monochromatic paint job on a black one. But I really don't dig that "new edge" styling Cadillac has going on their entire line. Additionally, I have not had anyone convince yet on build quality, particularly on how it rates vs. the better European and Japanese nameplates. (Once again, my own personal opinion.)

BTW, when we were looking to buy the 'Burb, we were exploring luxury SUVs for awhile. I did particularly like the interior of the GX470, but that 3rd row was TOO DANG SMALL for my needs!!!

-Randy

However, there's no escaping the fact that Escalades now have an image stuck to them. I'm sure the guys over at Cadillac five years ago never expected to see their SUVs splattered all over MTV shows like Cribs and magazines like DUB and the like. But then again, I'm sure they don't mind selling those thing to whomever decides to drop the green. And it's that image that I don't want to be tagged with.

I agree. Personally, I like the Lincoln Navigator!

The Navigator was my #2 choice in a new SUV, we went with the H2 instead, and have loved every minute of it.

If you are a big guy, you will love the width of the H2 and the ride height, for those that hate SUVs, frankly, their opinion isn't going to help you much if you have decided on a big ride.

I also prefer a big SUV to a sedan, as the sedan actually makes less leg room for me in most cases over a coupe thanks to the limits to putting the seat back, etc., anyway, I am much more comfortable in a big SUV as well.

I found the H2 to win on all of the things I was looking for, although the electric rear folding third row seats nearly won me over on the Navigator.

Tie breaker went to the woman, and she picked the H2 :D

Jonathan said:
Tie breaker went to the woman, and she picked the H2 :D

The mother of all influences, women. Mine picked the Escalade ;)

I've to say, I hated the bling bling factor but it grew on me. Those rims are so not cheap, think of them as LV shoes for cars. It's like a fashion. Cars don't cheapen people, people cheapen themselves. I don't think if I own a Caddy with 22s, I'll make myself ghetto.

I never saw one life (maybe it is not even imported here). I searched it on the web.. and... mmmh... I really do not like it. Really.
So many other noice SUVs and luxury cars to choose frommm ... just my opinion based on look of course.

I personally like the range rover over the caddy ,,,,,
less people in boston have range rover ......everyone else have an escalade with 22 or 24 inch, i even seen spinners on them .
The 2003 ext model are pretty good for the price ....i dont think if you got a caddy with 22inch rims will make you ghetto .Theres nothing ghetto about a 54k dollar suv with 10k rims on .
when fall comes around, either a range rover or the bmw x5 4.6 will do for me .

I love SUVs! Here are my choices if I was in the market for one.

1. Ford F250 diesel crew cab This is actually a truck but it has four doors and you can purchase these with all the trimming such as leather, sound system, etc...

2. H2 I love the looks of the H1 but I think this might be overkill for my needs. H2 looks great. I always enjoy seeing these beasts chug around town. I think I could get over the plastic interior.

3. Toyota Land Cruiser A classic SUV. Great styling. Luxurious. Reliable. Can't go wrong here.

Those are my top three choices. I think the Escalade is a great machine. However, I would be concerned about the unwanted attention this car may receive when left unattended. I worry a lot about leaving the NSX in parking lots when I am not around. I would not want to worry about my other car as well. All of the SUVs I mentioned above are just as nice as the Escalade but they will not get the attention the Cadillac will.

What about the Lexus LX 470?

And 22 inch tires are always on backorder, you should go 24's if you get an Escalade. 305/35/24 Kuhmo's fit great..........:p
Aaron

Mnguyen said:
......everyone else have an escalade with 22 or 24 inch, i even seen spinners on them

LOL!! I've got my inspiration from Damian Jackson (Red Sox) who lives in the same building. He has an EXT with 24 Davins. I've checked prices on those, if you buy them separately, it's $3600 a pop. A package deal of $11000 is the best I've seen, but none of the prices include tires. :rolleyes:

Aaron,

The LX470 as well as the Land Rover have always been on my SUV list until the past year. There are just too many SUVs to choose from now. I find the LX470 amazingly expensive for what it has to offer. I might just add a few grand and buy a Range.

When it comes to rims, I'd choose 22. The 35 profile for the 24 is just asking for trouble, not that the 40 profile on the 22 is any better but I'm sure it can survive a few undodgable potholes.

Why not the Acura MDX? I'm getting one as soon as they come with HID headlights. It looks good and is more fuel efficent than most. And, its an Acura. Their NAVI system is the best i've used

My gf has a big part to making the decisions. She doesn't like Honda for god knows why reasons. She can tolerate with the Element but nothing else. At the very least, she likes the NSX, it grew on her. That's more than I could ask for, I tend not to get greedy :D

For my point of view, the MDX is the very nice ride but it doesn't fall into the luxury category.

What I don't like about the Escalade:

1. more massive than anybody needs

2. sucks fuel like a locomotive

3. is garish/crude/has poor build quality

Otherwise a fine vehicle!

Why not customize a Denali to your liking? I think the front grille has much better lines than the choppy Escalade with transplaneted louvres .........

Escalade will depreciate much faster once the bling bling generation moves to the next fad, whereas a Denali will always appeal to the more demanding ........ and except for the traction stabilization feature, I believe they are/can-be identical ..... and you can get those extra ponies to match the Escalade with headers/exhaust no ..........?

I am still waiting for Detroit to wake up and finally design a lower and adjustable seating position for the third seat; less gross weight for those who will not haul a trailer but need the cargo/roominess for moving 6-7 people .... there is a market out there and they are way behind the minivan versatility; they have milked that truck platform enough ...... just my $0.02

I used to be in a similar situation w/ a SUV bug so I will chime in on this.

My wife really likes the Escalade. For some reason, it seems that a lot of women like this Caddy SUV. Perhaps, it parallels the symbolic image of Gucci & LV?? I don't know.

Nevertheless, in terms of "class" and overall package, I would go with the Range Rover. I like every single generation of Range Rovers. They had reliability problems until 98, but when BMW stepped in 99, and made siginificant changes especially to 99+, it seemed to have less of the reliability problem. My friend's 00 Range Rover hasn't had any problems yet, but the only downside is that it depreciates a lot just like any other luxury cars.

Which Range Rover dealer did you go? There is one on route 1 on the way to Peabody, and it had by far the best sales guy!! He literally threw me three keys for 98, 01, and 03. I literally spent all afternoon driving them around alone, and comparing all three (they were very very different).

Well, good luck!!

Well, here's my .02 (give or take a penny)-

-concerning the Escalade: I found it to be a great vehicle for what it is. The leather is superb, and I personally like the styling. I myself would probably take the EXT over the standard Escalade, but that's just me. All in all I can't find too many faults in the current gen Escalade. The previous gen is a whole other story...

-other SUV suggestion: I have not seen the inside of the new Range Rover, so i can't say much for or against it. The H2 would probably be my pick if I had the cash to drop on a top dollar SUV right now. The Porsche doesn't impress me much. I saw one on the road, and I didn't even look twice. The power is nice, but that's about the only thing I can say for it. The X5 is a great SUV. It's quite comfortable, and performs well. The MB G-wagon is also a nice SUV from what I have seen. They also seem to be rather rare (I see maybe one a month, and I'm 6 miles from a MB dealer). One last SUV you should consider is the new VW Touerag (?sp). All I have heard is raves. It's basically a better Cayenne for less money (but doesn't have the Turbo's power). A fully optioned Touerag can be had for about 50k. Before you drop that much on the Caddy, take a quick trip down to the local VW dealer and see what you think.

Well, there you have it. Take it for what's worth. In the end, just get what fits your needs best...