What do you think its worth?

I just sold my Supra (actually I still have it but waiting for the new owner to pick it up) and im in the market for a nsx. I found a nice red 91 with only 38k miles at a small dealership. I think the price they are asking for is far for a mint NSX with this low of miles but I just wanted everyones opinions. How much would you pay for a mint 91 NSX with 38k miles? Here are some pics of it next to my Supra. Sorry for the poor quality. They were taken with my phone. I plan to daily drive it for a week or two until I find a nice integra for a DD.

Attachments

• SSPX0019.jpg
    SSPX0019.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 114
  • SSPX0020.jpg
    SSPX0020.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 113
  • SSPX0021.jpg
    SSPX0021.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 97
A car is only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it - I know it's not the answer you are looking for....

91's I'm no expert but you want to make sure all the maintenance was done for the car or otherwise you'll be shelling out a lot of money right after you buy it.

rk

what year is your supra? if it has twin turbo, it will be faster than NA1 nsx. also, minor mods on a supra will kill nsx.
why not stay with supra if it's still in good condition.

Take a look at this page in the Wiki regarding pricing.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing

The key is to find a car that has well documented maintenence history. Otherwise you will have to assume it needs a Timing Belt/ Water Pump and possibly a clutch soon which are big ticket items.

Good Luck

there are many examples of 91/92 unmodified nsx's with under 50K miles in the for sale forum and they seem to range in price slightly, but usually the good examples (tb/wp, window fix, sound system redone, snap ring, etc all done) fall around the $30K range, which is basically where the pricepoint has been for a while now, as in the past 1-2 years (since i started looking and planning to save for one). these are all private party sales though.

Thanks for the replys. The reason I am holding the price is because I wanted to know you guy's opinions on the price. They are asking for 33k on the car but i think i can haggle them down to 30k even which is what some of you suggested. I asked the dealer if they could contain some of the maintanace records which would help a bunch. My Supra is a NA-T (NA converted to a single turbo) and yes it was in decent condition but nothing worth collecting like the NSX. My only fear is the snap ring but I guess thats the risk taken when buying a 91-92 nsx.

Last edited:
good deal!

My only fear is the snap ring but I guess thats the risk taken when buying a 91-92 nsx.
Check the actual transmission number to see if it actually falls into the snap-ring 'range... either it is or it isn't!

In regards to required maint'/service that was deferred, ballpark figures would be $750-$1250 for the 4yr/60k (ie. coolant/ABS/brake fluid-flush, replacement of oil/fuel/transmission/air filters & fluid, new spark-plugs & coolant-hoses, valve-adjustments, etc') & $1250-$1750 for the 6yr/90k (ie. timing-belt & water-pump replacement, etc').

The price-ranges given above are based on acquiring discounted OEM replacement-parts yourself & going w/ an independent srrvice-shop (low-end) vs. getting a 10%-20% discount for OEM replacement-parts from an Acura dealership parts-dept & letting their service-center perform the job (high-end).

Familiarize yourself w/ the 'search' function and FAQ/Wiki', you'll come across invaluable info'/insights as to what to look for when acquiring a pre-owned NSX.

Also, consider a getting a Pre-Purchase Inspection by a local-area Acura dealer service-center who has experience w/ servicing a NSX. You can then become aware of any wear-&-tear items that may need attention, and also if there ever as an accident/collision or paint-work.

G/luck! :cool:

Last edited:
What is the easiest way to locate the number on the transmission? Is it located towards the rear? front?

Since your asking for opinions, I'll throw mine into the ring. I would not pay $30K for a 91 unless it was up to date on all maintenance including the whole TB/WP/Belts/Cooling hoses (all 23) and, if in the snap ring range, it had been repaired. Doing the TB and all the hoses can easily cost $2500, I believe the snap ring repair is $2000 so now you're very close to $35K and I think you can do better for that money. I'd also want to contact the previous owner for some insight into the car and have a PPI done by a highly competent NSX mechanic (which might not necessarily be the Acura dealership). These are wonderful and reliable cars and general maintenance is no more expensive than any other Honda but once you step beyond that, it gets expensive and you do not want to end up doing a lot of deferred maintenance right after purchase, especially if the purchase is tight anyway or even worse, being financed.

Don't be fooled by low mileage. I'd much rather have a properly maintained car with 80K miles than a neglected one with 38K.

Offer the dealership $25K out the door.:biggrin: If you don't wrench on cars, be prepared to pay for high labor costs$$$$$$$. Also, you will miss the 0-60 turbo rush in the Supra. I miss it when I had my Twin Turbo Z.

Thanks for all the advice. I think im gonna pass and look for a 93 and up model. I did all the work on my supra in my garage (clutches, turbo kit, and all) but I dont want to have to deal with the snap ring issue or working on a mid engine car period. There is barely any room to work with. For now I will just find a daily integra to drive until the right NSX comes around.

Thanks for all the advice. I think im gonna pass and look for a 93 and up model. I did all the work on my supra in my garage (clutches, turbo kit, and all) but I dont want to have to deal with the snap ring issue or working on a mid engine car period. There is barely any room to work with. For now I will just find a daily integra to drive until the right NSX comes around.

Did you check the numbers on the transmission? Not all 91/92 have the snap ring issue.

Back