What do you think about these scratches on this 2003 silver nsx?

This is another potential car I may buy. I would love it if someone could give me their opinion on these 2 scratches. From looking at them, it looks like they can be buffed out with a porter cable. Here are the pics:
scratch1.jpg

sc.jpg

Darn, I just realized these 2 pics are way too small to form an opinion on. If anyone would be so kind, I can email you a couple high res pics. Thanks in advance.

Here is the deal, if they would buff out why wouldn't the current owner have them buffed out? If concerned about them, ask him/her to have them buffed out. Make an offer contingent upon the scratches being buffed out and not painted to make repairs. Just a thought. Oh, I would have a professional detailer try to remove them by the way.

Good point Cairo. I suppose the dealership in CO got lazy and never decided to buff them out. I will ask them that question though.

It looks like it is just in the clearcoat. Not the paint. If it does not buff out, it can be clearcoated (touched up) and sanded. You won't have to repaint anything from what I can see. Its not that big a deal... especially the second picture.

Thanks Turbo. I agree that they should be able to buff out. Just wish I knew for sure.

Place your fingernail perpendicular to the scratch, draw your nail across and see if you can catch it with your fingernail. If it catches, it is very unlikely that it will sand and buff out and most likely is through the clear. If it is through the clear you will need to paint the panel to get NSX like results. It the scratch is through the clear and under 1' from the edge of the panel you could have to blend into the adjacent panel so the pattern of the mica (flop) in the silver matches.
Figure in the neighborhood of $650 per panel to get it painted as a NSX should look.

Bear in mind that dealers usually prep a car before putting on the floor and realize the impact that scratches on both doors can have on the price of a higher ticket car. If this is on the floor this way it likely was worse than it is now.

The damage you've depicted can be very expensive to repair to the NSX standard. If you have to paint on both sides and do it right it could cost you a pretty penny.
This looks like it is on both doors on opposite sides, right? The long scratch, pic #1 looks like the driver's side and pic #2 the passenger's side.
I so, you could end up painting four panels on this car.
To be safe, I would expect the price should be adjusted $3,000 - $5,000 off of what you think the car would be worth had it not this damage.

Touch ups are good to extend the life of a paint job. They help little chips and marks not to be so glaring. I do it on my car too but, long scratches on doors and the stuff on the passenger's door, which looks like someone already went after with sandpaper, should give you pause, as it has.

When negotiating, you should treat these blemishes the same way you would if you saw the panels were painted and didn't match. If it was easy to remedy they would have done so. Dealers know all about the touch up/detailing techniques like outlined in the above referenced thread. They have shops they work with that do spray touch ups to get the best buck they can for a car. They very likely didn't do it here because a silver door on a NSX is easier to goof up than get right. They don't want to spend the time or money to do it and end up with results that could have a even greater negative impact on the cars curb appeal and value.

I believe that buying a car that you have to repair before you are where you want to be is something that should be reflected in the price. IMO it should be greater than the real cost of the repair. Good luck.

If anyone knows about paint and body work on an NSX, it is Pbassjo so heed his advice. He has come through for many of us in the Northeast (including me twice) and I would recommend you follow his advice (and if ever necessary have repairs done at his shop and with his experience and expertise). Better to be safe now than sorry (and lighter in the wallet) later....

pbassjo said:
Bear in mind that dealers usually prep a car before putting on the floor and realize the impact that scratches on both doors can have on the price of a higher ticket car. If this is on the floor this way it likely was worse than it is now.

The damage you've depicted can be very expensive to repair to the NSX standard. If you have to paint on both sides and do it right it could cost you a pretty penny.
This looks like it is on both doors on opposite sides, right? The long scratch, pic #1 looks like the driver's side and pic #2 the passenger's side.
I so, you could end up painting four panels on this car.
To be safe, I would expect the price should be adjusted $3,000 - $5,000 off of what you think the car would be worth had it not this damage.

Touch ups are good to extend the life of a paint job. They help little chips and marks not to be so glaring. I do it on my car too but, long scratches on doors and the stuff on the passenger's door, which looks like someone already went after with sandpaper, should give you pause, as it has.

When negotiating, you should treat these blemishes the same way you would if you saw the panels were painted and didn't match. If it was easy to remedy they would have done so. Dealers know all about the touch up/detailing techniques like outlined in the above referenced thread. They have shops they work with that do spray touch ups to get the best buck they can for a car. They very likely didn't do it here because a silver door on a NSX is easier to goof up than get right. They don't want to spend the time or money to do it and end up with results that could have a even greater negative impact on the cars curb appeal and value.

I believe that buying a car that you have to repair before you are where you want to be is something that should be reflected in the price. IMO it should be greater than the real cost of the repair. Good luck.
Thank you so much for that great response. I agree, I think I will pass on the silver one.

Back