What can you guys tell about a car just from pictures? JH4NA115XPT000193

Hey guys,

I'm considering a 1993 NSX from the following dealer:

Overseas Auto Services Inc.
595 Warburton Ave
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY 10706
Phone: (888) 285-7522

I haven't seen the car yet, but there are lots of pictures on the ebay site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=2497506696&category=5337&sspagename=WDVW

I was told that the car inside and out is near perfect...paint, body, engine (no leaks).

I know that pictures can't tell you everything...but what do you guys think of the car just from the pictures?

Specifically, the interior, engine and spare tire bay pics? It almost looks like oil on the side of the valve cover. Paint looks good...almost too good...repaint?

The ad says the car was babied...but judging from the dirty interior/engine bays...I wouldn't call this car 'babied'. Carfax says that it is a one owner car.

I will take a drive up to NY to take a look at it if I decide to purchase...but wanted to get some feedback from the board members if there is anything obvious in the pictures.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: What can you guys tell about a car just from pictures?

There is a good chance that this owner (with the low miles) never opened the hood or engine hatch!!! He probably took it in for oil changes, and that was it. It does look like he drives down a gravel road daily though! :eek: That is why I took the engine cover off, so I HAVE TO keep the motor clean. It looks as though he detailed the car for pics (see the wet tires), but has never heard of "simple green" for under the hatches. Now the question is this....If he deteiled the car up for pics, what if tehe exterior and interior looked like the engine bay EVERY DAY of ownership as well!

car not babied...notable wear & tear
dirty engine bay obvious
spare "heavy rotation"??????
no cd cartridge for trunk[ deal breaker ]

could be wrong, but heavy/irreg wear on outer
edges of tires...all the wear really starts on an
NSX on the inner....looook out!! :eek:

anyway, looks like a good reason to visit nyc
bring this.. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42597
maybe find a dealer [yaddayadda] if you fall head over heels.

wasn't this car owned by a deposed NIGERIAN dictator, Bally Wally Babba...? :rolleyes:

welcome to the RED nsx club of america :D

I agree that the car appears to have been untouched during its life. The exterior appears to have been recently detailed, but that was where it stopped. In some ways that is good, lets you know the way the car was treated. I would still not touch it w/o a Acura PPI with a clean bill of health. Then I would make sure the seller realizes this is not an extremely clean NSX and the price should reflect an average NSX price. Still, I would want to see the service records, accident inspection, etc.

Car is in "C" condition in my eyes. Good luck, negotiate hard and be firm.

forgot to mention...the car is at a dealer in NY...they bought it from a wholesaler...but it has had one owner who seems to have moved from Florida to NJ to MA.

They told me that they took pictures of the car just as they received it from the wholesaler. They have since detailed the car but I havent seen any pics of that.

So...possible alignment issues, spare tire was heavily used, definately not a babied car...thanks for the feedback so far...

If I go ahead with it...I will definately have it checked out at a nearby Acura dealer...if anyone can recommend one close to this dealer...please let me know...i've edited the post with the cars current location.

After reading all of the previous posts, I was getting ready to look at some POS. The car looks pretty good to my eyes, definitely get the PPI to protect yourself. If the paint is original and this is the car you want, I would go up to about $30k.

good luck

Peter Mills...I emailed you.

They are asking $33995 for the car. $30k is the max number I had in mind as well.

Anybody else look at the engine pics? Is that oil on the side of the valve cover?

Last edited:
RSF944 said:
Peter Mills...I emailed you.

They are asking $33995 for the car. $30k is the max number I had in mind as well.

Anybody else look at the engine pics? Is that oil on the side of the valve cover?
Peter will be able to tell you best after inspection but I would think even 30 is on the high side from these pics.

If I was in the market for a 93, and showed up to see that engine that they call excellent condition, I would turn right around. The dirty engine is a big turnoff for me.

I would keep looking if I were you. I would rather take a higher mileage, cleaner one.

Having Peter Mills look at this car in person is your best bet. A beautifully detailed car is just that and nothing else.

I agree. I've checked out a few NSXs locally here...definately have to see it in person, and it helps to have someone knowledgable about the NSX evaluate the car. Everyone seems to have a different interpretation of the words 'immaculate' and 'mint'...especially the salesmen I have met.

Thanks Peter.

Come on guys, the engine bay is not THAT bad.

Guys, I've delt with this dealer before...don't trust him. The owners name is Larry, a total prick. I once went to this dealer to look at a similar Red NSX and granted I am 21 years old, it was a hot summer day so I was in a tank top. He showed the car to me and it was in the worst condition I've ever seen. I mean the paintjob was so obvious(looked like it was crayon), things didn't align right, he even said that the other guy who previously came to look at the car took his carfax report on it so therefore he didn't have one. He even said "look I think you should have a professional mechanic take a look at it before you jump to conclusions" (NSX's are my specialty,and I'm at least positively sure that a 5 year old could have told you that something was wrong.). To put matters worse, when I asked for a test drive he refused. He looked at me as someone who just wanted to take this POS car for a joyride just because it was a nice day. I'm in the real estate business and because of his hostile attitude and his rudeness to see how he felt that I was incompitent I'm spreading the word. DON'T TRUST THIS DEALER!

That engine baylooks like higher miles than posted. I agree with previous members. My 100k car looked way better than that. An NSX egine bay is easy to keep clean, and does not get dirty very easy even in rain. That owner did not car about the car.

That is one unusually dirty NSX engine bay.

I agree. I have seen lots of X engine bays, have never really seen one that had that much "grungy brown stuff" all over. Its a red flag, fer sure.

For about $200 you can have these guys check it out:

http://nationalautoinspectors.com/

I used Lemon Busters last year to check out the M3 I bought on Ebay as was very happy with the job they did.

I think the exterior indicates the interior, and you can tell a "for sale detail" vs. a regularly detailed car. When I bought my X years ago, the first thing I noticed was the underside of the front hood was waxed.... :p

Dealer selling "extremely clean 93 nsx" :eek: Ha...Guy trying to sell you a book of B.S. Just make sure you look at another nsx prior to buying this one. So you can maybe see a clean one. You will be so much happier that you did.

Peter Mills was nice enough to check this car out for me. Thanks Peter.

According to Peter...yes the car was a bit dirty underneath (he had them put it up on a lift), and the interior showed its age. The car was not 'babied', but all in all, the condition was good (paint, engine, suspension...).

I am looking at a few other options, but will go and take a look at it (if I decide to pursue) based on Peters recommendation that its worth me driving up to see it.

'Babied', 'mint', 'immaculate'...these have got to be the most misused words when it comes to car sales.

Back