• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are these little fins????

I have been seeing these on more and more cars. They look like downforce fins on the front bumper corners. MYNSX has them on his yellow NSX. I also noticed that the "drifters" from japan and JGTC cars are running with them. I talked to a friend who is an engineer and he thinks they have no functional use, mainly just for show. Anyone have any insight on them? I dont even know what to call them? Thanks
nik

Last edited:
Sorry, i was having trouble with the pic. here it is:

Attachments

• passlimit-nsx018.jpg
    passlimit-nsx018.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 721
I don't know the technical name for them either but I do believe that in race applications they probably have a affect on the front end lift. However on your 'average' street car, it is purely for looks.

nik3sgte said:
I have been seeing these on more and more cars. They look like downforce fins on the front bumper corners. MYNSX has them on his yellow NSX. I also noticed that the "drifters" from japan and JGTC cars are running with them. I talked to a friend who is an engineer and he thinks they have no functional use, mainly just for show. Anyone have any insight on them? I dont even know what to call them? Thanks
nik

That are called Canards? Splitters Somebody else probably has another name for them. They are functional in racing or track cars because of uplift. Street cars not so functional because of our speed limits ;) :)

Last edited:
They are called canard wings. They don't necessarily create dowforce as such , but if done correctly should introduce a vortex running down the side if the car. This, if done properly will prevent, or lower the amount of air from the sides of the car going down underneath the car and reducing ground effect. If, the car has created a low pressure area (ground effect) by the use of a front air dam, and flat bottom.

Guess who has just bought a book on downforce?;)

Yes, exactly. The dive planes on a submarine cause it to submerge, while the dive planes on a race car cause it to stick to the track. More appropriate a name than cannard, I think.

kgb_agent said:
Cannards (or canards?) is a word borrowed from airplane terminology I believe.

Yes, they are the small "winglets" forward of the main wings on some aircraft such as this

Attachments

• zf534.jpg
    zf534.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 473
Canard is the french word for 'duck'.

But what that has to do with cars???

Actually 'Canard' is the term for a plane that is 'backwards' in design. The engine pushes from the rear, and the small elevators are at the front. Though the term is now used for small wings mounted at the front of a plance regardless of where the engine is.

So, why was the term used at all?

The French air pioneer Bleriot, built a plane based on Dumont's design of having the tail-plane at the front rather than the back. It was called the 'Canard' (duck) because it's long neck looked like a duck. This name has stuck.

In the picture the front of the plane is to the right.

Can I get this thread any more off-topic?;)

Attachments

• canard.jpg
    canard.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 465
MUST HAVE MORE INFORMATION!! :D Seriously, thanks for the info. I now expect to see you chime in on all aero discussion with the answers!

They do work at speed, ie, best in the high speed sweepers.

All four NSXs in this year's OTC used them.
Effectiveness is related to size, placement and ability to transmitt the generated force. In racing applications these things are generally limited by class rules. For us, we used an adjustable setup that we dialed for each track, ie, how much did we need to go flat out at Willow in turn 9. to much and the front gets ahead of the rear and its loopie time.

Being in touring they were a PIA going in and out of gas stations, etc so we ran the suspension up each night.

So the previous cracks about Home Depot NSX aside, the sheet metal below worked!

Red arrow - brace strut
Blue arrow - adjustable lenght plate

Attachments

• downforce.jpg
    downforce.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 516
"supercharged,

Your pic and description is of a front splitter not canards, no?"

Technically you are correct. The splitter does wrap around to the side. On one version we do add a vertical piece to the side. I haven't tried a second set above this yet. My point was that front down force is helpful and significant for some track applications; and just trying to offer another solution :)

Back