What are my Dual Disc Clutch options?

So far the 2 that seems to offer the same results in OEM peddle effort and high TQ are:

1. SOS Carbon Carbon clutch
2. Exedy Hyper Carbon Twin Clutch
3. ATS Metal Twin Clutch
4. OS Giken R Type Twin Disk Clutch

Am I missing anyone else?

I'm planning on the SOS Supercharger and perhaps a stroker down the line.

twin_carbon_assembled_450.jpg

twin_carbon_spread_450.jpg

HM012SD.jpg

ShowImage.aspx.jpg

viewimageresize.asp

viewimageresize.asp

Last edited:
So far the 2 that seems to offer the same results in OEM peddle effort and high TQ are:

1. SOS Carbon Carbon clutch
2. Exedy Hyper Carbon Twin Clutch
3. ATS Metal Twin Clutch
4. OS Giken R Type Twin Disk Clutch

Am I missing anyone else?

I'm planning on the SOS Supercharger and perhaps a stroker down the line.

Since the SOS clutch is basically the same as the RPS Twin Carbon ..... I'll say that is the one to get. I think FX still uses the RPS Twin Carbon. I know that the clutch is maybe 10% heavier then stock and can be modulated very easy at the engagement point - for that stop-and-go driving. It does not slip at all. Its like a Superman version of the stock clutch (which is a Clark Kent around Lois - useless).

I'm pretty hard on clutches since I do drag my car from time to time. I've blown springs out on two stock clutches and the old Comptech one (over the past 10 years). The only ones to hold up are the single RPS (pedal pressure too heavy!!) and the new RPS Twin Carbon.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your recommendations.

There are some distinct advantages to consider with our billet twin carbon clutch:

1. Factory hydraulics - the billet twin carbon clutch uses factory hydraulics (master and slave cylinder), no need for reversing hydraulics to convert the Honda pull design to a push type. This reduces cost, decreases complexity, and allows the seal on the transmission to remain.

2. real carbon-carbon design - of the carbon clutches you list, the billet twin carbon is the only one that meshes carbon-carbon friction liners with carbon-carbon liners instead of carbon-carbon against steel. Meshing carbon-carbon is the proper, although more expensive, way of building a carbon clutch - this is why top end racing clutch manufactures like Tilton and AP Racing, with clutches that start at $4000, use this design. Meshing carbon-carbon against steel warps the steel which causes very high shudder and decreased life from the warped steel surfaces "scraping" at the carbon. In addition, this design allows you to take advantage of carbon-carbon's properties of having high static friction and relatively lower kinetic friction (meaning the clutch is easier to engage).

3. Decreased noise - all of the clutches listed make noise when you depress and hold down the clutch pedal because they are all a floating type. The disc plates "bang" against the cages that hold them in place. Our design uses aluminum posts that are hard anodized. This reduces the volume of the noise heard to the point that it is almost inaudible and reduces overall weight.

4. Torque capacity - the billet twin carbon has the highest capacity of the clutches listed (thanks to the carbon-carbon design).

5. Drivability - In addition to the billet twin carbon clutch, I have owned or driven the Exedy, OS Giken, and Carbonetics clutch. The billet twin carbon clutch is by far the easiest to drive in both clutch pedal pressure and engagement.

6. Price - despite what I feel is the superior product, the billet twin carbon clutch is the least expensive of the options listed.

more info:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_twin_carbon/

I hope this helps, feel free to contact us if you have any questions!

take care,
-- Chris

The RPS clutch that FXMD uses IS this clutch that Science of Speed has for sale. I know this after talking with their Crew Chief recently. I have driven the RPS clutch and it is on my short list of great clutches to use.

ACT on a 100 shot of n20 never gave me an issue. the exedy are good but kinda noisy.
best regards David

Correct me if i am wrong...

I believe the SOS carbon carbon clutch is a RPS Carbon Carbon clutch.

I used to have the RPS Carbon Carbon clutch on my 520bhp 300zx. It is one awesome clutch!! on that car the pedal was only slightly heavier than oem! very impressive. There are cars with this clutch pushing 900bhp. The clutch could hold boost off the line.

Is a awesome clutch.

This is going back a few years now and the SOS clutch is a newer design so even better no doubt.

Correct me if i am wrong...

I believe the SOS carbon carbon clutch is a RPS Carbon Carbon clutch.

I used to have the RPS Carbon Carbon clutch on my 520bhp 300zx. It is one awesome clutch!! on that car the pedal was only slightly heavier than oem! very impressive. There are cars with this clutch pushing 900bhp. The clutch could hold boost off the line.

Is a awesome clutch.

This is going back a few years now and the SOS clutch is a newer design so even better no doubt.

Ur correct, the SOS carbon carbon is the RPS clutch.

im new to the nsx but im going to be building a turbo setup over the winter and the SOS carbon/carbon clutch stood out far and away as the best choice in my book for a clutch for all the reasons chris already stated.

Go with SOS's twin disc, its a great clutch and Chris has great customer service. Yes it is originally the RPS twin disc, SOS just bought the rights and jacked the price, the clutch feels awesome and will last a long time, you will never regret it.

Back