Well... I finally did it...

Whadup fellas. Long Time Listener - First Time Caller.

After several years of looking around and reading this site (off and on), I finally broke down and purchased my first NSX.

It's a bone stock 2001 NSX-T w/ 32k miles. It's Black/Tan, 6-speed and in near perfect condition (a couple rock chips). Bought it in Chicago. The car had no previous service history - so I had the 5 year work done on it up there (belts, water pump, timing belt tensioner, lubs, etc.) and drove it home to Indy. I've driven a couple before... but it still was a real blast to drive one home. As you guys know - ya don't drive those cars. You Will Them.

And before I ask my very first of what will be a very long series of incredible stupid questions - I need to explain something as carefully as I can (I don't wanna come off like ass here):

I've been racing w/ SCCA for 20 years. I've had some success in Sports 2000 which is close enough to a real racecar that there's not a real street car that can touch it. If fact - here's a fun story about it...

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050314/FREE/503140701&SearchID=73275451042158

Anyway - my point it that I don't really need or want my NSX to be a complete street killer. As I told the dudes in Chi-town, I don't need to pass anybody on I-65 at 140mph because I do it all the time in my SR71.... and then keep my foot down to turn left and right while doing it.

I want my NSX to be fun and first class... I just don't need nitrous and a blower to do it.

So - I put it to you experts. What, if anything, do I really need to do to the car in terms of changes or upgrades.

As always fellas - thanks a million for all your advise. You have no idea how much help you've been to date.

Thanks again. Terrence

Welcome! Just got back into a 2002 myself. My bet is that it takes you 6 months max before you modify to more HP. A little more "Go" is what the car needs and that leads to a little more "Whoa" (brakes) and the cycle begins.

ENJOY!

Whadup fellas. Long Time Listener - First Time Caller.

After several years of looking around and reading this site (off and on), I finally broke down and purchased my first NSX.

It's a bone stock 2001 NSX-T w/ 32k miles. It's Black/Tan, 6-speed and in near perfect condition (a couple rock chips). Bought it in Chicago. The car had no previous service history - so I had the 5 year work done on it up there (belts, water pump, timing belt tensioner, lubs, etc.) and drove it home to Indy. I've driven a couple before... but it still was a real blast to drive one home. As you guys know - ya don't drive those cars. You Will Them.

And before I ask my very first of what will be a very long series of incredible stupid questions - I need to explain something as carefully as I can (I don't wanna come off like ass here):

I've been racing w/ SCCA for 20 years. I've had some success in Sports 2000 which is close enough to a real racecar that there's not a real street car that can touch it. If fact - here's a fun story about it...

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050314/FREE/503140701&SearchID=73275451042158

Anyway - my point it that I don't really need or want my NSX to be a complete street killer. As I told the dudes in Chi-town, I don't need to pass anybody on I-65 at 140mph because I do it all the time in my SR71.... and then keep my foot down to turn left and right while doing it.

I want my NSX to be fun and first class... I just don't need nitrous and a blower to do it.

So - I put it to you experts. What, if anything, do I really need to do to the car in terms of changes or upgrades.

As always fellas - thanks a million for all your advise. You have no idea how much help you've been to date.

Thanks again. Terrence
Terrence -

First of all congrat's to you. Second, welcome.

I like your choice of colors:biggrin:

What you should do to your car is an entirely personal decision. While mod's to the NSX are relatively expensive (compared to a Boxster), there are more and more good choices.

One modification that I can't recommend enough are the Type R chassis bars. I love this mod and it made my already stiff NSX-T even more fun (esp. when the roof panel is off the car).

Good luck and many, many happy miles to you!

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the replys.

I probably paid a little more than I should have... but when the guys called back (Euroquipe in Chicago - These guys ROCK!!) after doing a complete pre-purchase to tell me that it was mechanically a virgin and flawless (short of the 5 year stuff), I folded like Superman on laundry day and paid right in the 50 range.

Hey Gator... what kinda wizzyness is on your new ride? Sounds like a rocket.

Will doing the Type R bars make the overall ride 'rougher'?

The one thing that does bug me is the road noise I'm getting from the skins. Is that the case with ever NSX donut - or are some better than others?

Thanks again. Terrence

Congratulations on finding such a sweet one. Click on my avatar and it will take you to some details on my new baby. Still verifying thoses details as part of the Acura once over.

Most here start with basic changes (upgrades) to headers and exhaust, and then some minor suspension changes. Wheels and tires are a matter of personal taste, but some tires have proven to be quite capable on the street and they compare favorably to the OEM set-up.

Once the power add-ons start piling on, you may want to think about a clutch, flywheel combo and even big brakes.

My usual post to a first time owner is the classic, "your best dollar value is spent on the nut that holds the wheel", but you sound like you've already spent that dollar. :wink: I do recommend, however, that you live with the car in stock form for awhile and only change what you think best applies to your personal needs.

Congrats on your new car.

Back