We need a Memorial for a real hero....

Shifty.png

Subject: Memorial Service: you're invited.

We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.
I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy
Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st
Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the
History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10
episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't
know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having
trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was
at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle," the symbol of
the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne
or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the
101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served,
and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so,
and was in until sometime in 1945 .. . . " at which point my heart
skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training
jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know
where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him "yes, I know exactly where Normandy is, and I know what
D-Day was." At that point he said "I also made a second jump into
Holland , into Arnhem ." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . .
and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of
D-Day..

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said
"Yes. And it's real sad because, these days, so few of the guys are
left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart
was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in
Coach while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to
get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came
forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have
it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are
still some who remember what we did and who still care is enough to
make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it.
And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.
No big event in Staples Center .
No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.
No weeping fans on television.
And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet
way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the
veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

Chuck Yeager

Last edited:
What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing, and thanks Shifty for your service. R.I.P.

When I was in Vietnam, I was an Infantry Officer with the 101st Airborne. Actually, I was with the 2nd of the 506th, the unit of the 101st Airborne that was depicted in Band of Brothers. I remember our fire bases out in the A Shau Valley were named "Eagle's Nest", "Burgesonegarden", "Bastogne", etc. in honor of our brothers from World War II.

It touched me that your offered Shifty your first class seat. Extremely kind and respectful of you. When I was in the Army I was required to travel in my uniform and I remember some airlines like Delta would always upgrade me to first class.

I haven't had an opportunity to give up my first class seat, but if I did, I would do it in a heart beat. When I am in an airport, no soldier, airman, navel person or marine pays for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I always settle that with the waiter or waitress. It's on me to thank them for their service.

Thank you again for your story and the respect you displayed.

P.S. Next time you're in San Francisco, drinks and dinner are on me.

Last edited:
I am NAVY (26 years and counting)...and a Flight Officer (perfectly good airplanes, etc...)...BUT I make no bones about it...
ARMY Airborne training at Ft. Benning in the Summer of 1979 got me headed in the right direction!

Sorry for the confusion guys. This is NOT my story. Its actually written by Chuck Yeager.

Adding more to this thread. My grandfather-in-law was a Ranger during D Day and never spoke about his experiences in his lifetime. He died about 2 years ago and a strange man came to his funeral. Turns out it was a Ranger buddy. There were four of them and the played cards the night before he invasion. They each took an Ace from the deck and swore a lifetime friendship. When this man told my father-in-law about it he started to dig into his father's service. He dug through all his father's belongings (by this time it all fit in a shoebox - he had given away all his medals years before) and one of the few things left was his Ace card. His son (my father in law) never knew the story until that day. Since then my father in law has spent most waking hours researching his father's service, reading all he could, and traveling the country to meet with other Rangers that may have known his Dad.

He had talked to Shifty on several occasions.

Sadly there are not many of these guys left.

The Rangers group he was in started with something like 300 men and within 1 week of D-day were down to about 60.

Re: Ed Freeman

Just got this Email. Maybe you've seen it too.

Michael Jackson dies and it’s 24/7 news coverage. A real American hero dies and not a mention of it in the news. The media has no honor and God is watching.

Ed Freeman

You're a 19-year-old kid. You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out.. Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter and you look up to see an unarmed Huey, but it doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out, through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses.

And he kept coming back, 13 more times, and took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died on Wednesday, June 25th, 2009, at the age of 80, in Boise , ID. May God rest his soul.

Medal of Honor Winner Ed Freeman!
Since the media didn't give him the coverage he deserves, send this to everyone you know.
THANKS AGAIN, ED, FOR WHAT YOU DID.

I'm pretty big on honoring vets and active duty service personnel, both because of the duty they have assumed and because I am the former and used to be the latter, but...

I do not like it when someone attributes a story to a vet just to make it supposedly better. Chuck Yeager had nothing to do with the story, and Shifty Powers needs no added frosting BS to make his story worth telling.

<div><iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/31929477#31929477" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 425px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">Breaking News</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">World News</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">News about the Economy</a></p></div>

Try this...

Back