• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Water pumps, whats the real story?

So my car was serviced at 48,000 back in 2006. It just turned 86,000. I have flushed it once when I installed an Koyo radiator. I'll be getting my TB service this coming Jan. due to years only. Since it has only 38,000 miles on the pump and likey to have only 40k in Jan, is it really necessary to replace the WP. Timing cover still looks new so I may kill that too. Everything else gets replaced. I'm not being cheap but seriously, does a 40k pump really need replacing? Thanks for any constructive criticism in advance.

AGE...... it takes less than 4 minutes to put the new one on with hondabond and your gonna need the new TB cover with weep hole so your new looking
cover will not work.... well it can if you cut a hole for the new weep hole. seen it done and I laughed at the creative solution the last tech gave it.

but.... there isn't much to a pump....... but while everything is off wouldn't it be best to change it while you actually looking at it from the side of the car.

goodluck in your choice but you cant say your were never told.

The reason the water pump is almost always replaced whenever the timing belt is replaced is that (a) water pumps do commonly fail after a long while, requiring replacement, and (b) the extensive labor needed to access and replace the water pump involves the same procedure as the extensive labor needed to access and replace the timing belt. So as long as you are replacing the timing belt anyway, it's best to replace the water pump while you are in there, so you don't have to go through the expense and time all over again if you don't do it then and the water pump then fails. Spend a little now on the part, so you don't have to spend a lot later to do the labor all over again.

This is true of almost all cars, not just the NSX.

Don't even think about it, just do it.

I've bought too many high mileage used cars where the belt was changed and where the pump wasn't in the end, the pump failed and I had to change everything all over again.

How about that timing cover?
The reason the water pump is almost always replaced whenever the timing belt is replaced is that (a) water pumps do commonly fail after a long while, requiring replacement, and (b) the extensive labor needed to access and replace the water pump involves the same procedure as the extensive labor needed to access and replace the timing belt. So as long as you are replacing the timing belt anyway, it's best to replace the water pump while you are in there, so you don't have to go through the expense and time all over again if you don't do it then and the water pump then fails. Spend a little now on the part, so you don't have to spend a lot later to do the labor all over again.

This is true of almost all cars, not just the NSX.

When you buy a new Timing Belt and Water Pump from the dealer as a kit, it includes the updated timing cover. If you already have the belt and pump, shoot me a PM. I have a few extra and can ship one out to you if you pay for shipping and a nominal fee for my troubles (packing, etc)

I can't remember where I saw it on Kaz's blog, but he has observed bearing wear/failure on pumps even with very low mileage. Definitely should be replaced with the TB.

As long as you have the updated pump and cover with the external weep hole and are running a honda coolant you can skip the water pump replacment if you stay under 100k between replacements. I skipped the replacement on my 2nd belt replacement which was after 10 years and 20k miles.

As long as you have the updated pump and cover with the external weep hole and are running a honda coolant you can skip the water pump replacment if you stay under 100k between replacements. I skipped the replacement on my 2nd belt replacement which was after 10 years and 20k miles.

I was just thinking the same thing, getting ready to do mine at 7 years even though I've only driven 15K...

It is my understanding (belief?) that the WP itself can fail and seize up, chewing up the toothed TB as often as the TB itself could fail.
Probably more often so back to the age old question "how many TB's have actually failed?". And of those how many were actually attributable to WP failure?
I'd sure do one while I was in there.

Back